Where to get AAC and Lossless?
Jan 27, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #31 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, it isn't. Not a single cent goes to the artists. That is piracy.

Like they got **** from RIAA anyway. THAT's piracy then also.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: And ofc we are talking about russian law since the service is on russian land. For instance iTunes says that it uses Britannian law when dealing with issues (example of Finnish iTunes). So...

Edit 2: And yet another notice, getting files from that service is legal in here but using P2P software (which shares the file you download) is illegal because of that music sharing point. Everything is not as black and white as you think.

Jan 27, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #32 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guess you have never heard of Max.
wink.gif

It does AAC and Apple Lossless encoding via Core Audio.

I'm using Windows XP. Does Max work on Windows XP?
tongue.gif

Jan 27, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #33 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trilogy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like they got **** from RIAA anyway. THAT's piracy then also.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: And ofc we are talking about russian law since the service is on russian land. For instance iTunes says that it uses Britannian law when dealing with issues (example of Finnish iTunes). So...

Arguably, U.S. law applies to that portion of the use of the service in the U.S. To the extent that the service transacts business with or derives benefits from its contacts with the U.S., it is subject to U.S. law. Enforcing any judgment is another matter. In other words, a Russian service cannot commit an illegal act in the U.S. and claim that it is ok simply because such acts are not illegal under Russian law.

Jan 28, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #34 of 46
Quote:

Talking about Russian law is like talking about the Nicaruguan Space Program

QFT!

Trilogy and others, answer this one question, does it seem reasonable that music is free on sites like allofmp3? If it does then trash your grados, cause the appreciation you have of their quality and value is reflected in the money you spent on them...

It's hipocrisy to saunter around notions of sovereignty when sovereignty is the actual problem... If it wasn't russia it would be somewhere else... bleh

Jan 28, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #35 of 46
Jan 28, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #36 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickenGod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So good program to rip CD is: EAC
Good program to convert to AAC and ALAC: ???

I am using Windows XP.

Help!
tongue.gif

itunes. It was stated somewhere in this thread (I think) how to get EAC to use itunes as an external encoder.

Jan 28, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #37 of 46
Jan 28, 2007 at 8:37 AM Post #38 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Battle_Rattle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
QFT!

Trilogy and others, answer this one question, does it seem reasonable that music is free on sites like allofmp3? If it does then trash your grados, cause the appreciation you have of their quality and value is reflected in the money you spent on them...

It's hipocrisy to saunter around notions of sovereignty when sovereignty is the actual problem... If it wasn't russia it would be somewhere else... bleh

It's not a free site. Ok, prices are really below normal, but it pays all needed fees based on russian law to russian "RIAA". The only problem is that american record industries haven't accepted this.

And no, I don't buy music from the Internet. I don't like DRM, I don't like crappy quality. My music comes from local record store what I am happy to support. Another one is library for rare music like new age or jazz. I get more satisfaction of real CD, that I can encode to format of MY choice. Without DRM. Ofc record industry wanted to stop this action with their copy protections, but at least they realized now that it was a really stupid stupid stupid idea.

Ok same thing here, I haven't used allofmp3 just because my moral doesn't go there. Since artists already get so tiny share from "real" industry, why should I pay even less to them. The only party that wins in there is that site in Russia. How could I know where that money goes nowadays? Mafia, guns? Ok, it can be just real legitimate site. But something being against moral doesn't automatically make it illegal. If it was illegal, it probably would have been shut down or blocked.

Someone said that this thing isn't debatable but doesn't it look like tha
580smile.gif

Anyway, don't take me that dead seriously and sharpen your war axes. It's just one russian music site...

Edit: Found some more info and read that russian copyright law will get some updating next summer, when it's not possible to collect royalties without agreement from the right owner. About my earlier blocking comment, it seems that some credit card companies are already doing that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2007 at 8:55 AM Post #39 of 46
Quote:

No, it isn't. Not a single cent goes to the artists. That is piracy. Talking about Russian law is like talking about the Nicaruguan Space Program, so its totally unfair to the creators of the music is to even consider it relevant. The semantics of legality are in question sure, but the actual effect of allofmp3 is absolutely no different.

For the record, I use torrent services and what not, but I surely don't pay for them. If you want the music in lossless, you have no reason to pay allofmp3 for it, its out there for free. Save the money you would have spent and use for band merch or concerts, something they will actually get paid for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battle_Rattle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
QFT!

Okay, both great moral reasons as to why one should never use AllOfMP3, but not legal reason yet.

I'm not saying it's right to use the service. And clearly Coltrane isn't either, since he's damning the artists anyway.

Check out § 602(a)(2):
Quote:

§ 602. Infringing importation of copies or phonorecords

(a) Importation into the United States, without the authority of the owner of copyright under this title, of copies or phonorecords of a work that have been acquired outside the United States is an infringement of the exclusive right to distribute copies or phonorecords under section 106, actionable under section 501. This subsection does not apply to —

(2) importation, for the private use of the importer and not for distribution, by any person with respect to no more than one copy or phonorecord of any one work at any one time, or by any person arriving from outside the United States with respect to copies or phonorecords forming part of such person's personal baggage; or

And: § 1008 (what the law friends called the "iPod Exception"):

Quote:

No action may be brought under this title alleging infringement of copyright based on the manufacture, importation, or distribution of a digital audio recording device, a digital audio recording medium, an analog recording device, or an analog recording medium, or based on the noncommercial use by a consumer of such a device or medium for making digital musical recordings or analog musical recordings. (emphasis added).

And, finally, § 109:

Quote:

(a) Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106 (3), the owner of a particular copy or phonorecord lawfully made under this title, or any person authorized by such owner, is entitled, without the authority of the copyright owner, to sell or otherwise dispose of the possession of that copy or phonorecord. Notwithstanding the preceding sentence, copies or phonorecords of works subject to restored copyright under section 104A that are manufactured before the date of restoration of copyright or, with respect to reliance parties, before publication or service of notice under section 104A (e), may be sold or otherwise disposed of without the authorization of the owner of the restored copyright for purposes of direct or indirect commercial advantage only during the 12-month period beginning on....

In other words, since AllOfMP3 legally obtains their music, the passing down from the original, legal owner, to another individual, is covered under this provision.

Monkey, I must say I disagree with your statement regarding these guys' credibility. They're attending one of the most prestigious law schools in the country, and some have passed their BAR exams - they probably know a thing or two. Many of them are specifically focusing on music-related studies!

Jan 28, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #40 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Monkey, I must say I disagree with your statement regarding these guys' credibility. They're attending one of the most prestigious law schools in the country, and some have passed their BAR exams - they probably know a thing or two. Many of them are specifically focusing on music-related studies!

lol, ok. There's a reason we don't let first years talk to the client.

Jan 29, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #43 of 46
Neither of you doods have brought up any evidence against these claims... they're kind of damaging your credibility at the moment!

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, ok. There's a reason we don't let first years talk to the client.

Fair enough. But I still think that what I said has a lot of legal evidence, and I just showed it to you.

Quote:

?

Downloading from torrent sites is almost certainly illegal (especially if the original seeder didn't purchase the album) and, according to your logic, is damaging the artists' income possibility.

Jan 29, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #44 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fair enough. But I still think that what I said has a lot of legal evidence, and I just showed it to you.

Well, you didn't show me any evidence. You showed us excerpts of statutes forming the personal use exception argument. It's fine for what it is: an argument in favor of allofmp3's legality. In the absence of any court guidance, I certainly don't derive any comfort from that argument. This website states the counterargument rather nicely I think.

It is definitely a complicated issue.

Jan 29, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #45 of 46
Quote:

Yes. It is a Russian piracy site.

I know this Russian website where you can download songs for two cents a piece. Only, the only thing is, is all the songs are in Russian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back