Where to get a nice CD rack?
Jul 25, 2004 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

kelesh

100+ Head-Fier
I'll have 100-150 cds. I want a cd rack for 200 cds. Classier is nicer.

I think i want a vertical rack with maybe 1 or 2 columns, perhaps 3. Ideally, I'd like something that has a 1-2 foot or even 3 foot standoff on the bottom, so that the cds don't start until 2-3 feet from the bottom of the base.(so it would be decent to have it on the ground, or on my desk behind my flat panel monitors).

Is storing cds horizontally a bad idea? I've heard that vertical was better, because after 10-15 years of horizontal laying, the cds become bent.

What's out there for me? Thanks a bunch!

Jul 26, 2004 at 11:36 AM Post #2 of 19
The best way to store CDs is like you would books on a bookcase, the CDs should be standing on the thin edge. You can get very classy CD cabinets, it depends how much you want to spend. Custom shelves or cabinets can cost a hell of a lot (a couple of hundred euros/dollar equivalent), you can see ads for them in music magazines. Flatpacks from furniture stores or catalogues are good in terms of price vs. # CDs stored: I have one that cost 60 euros and holds 350 CDs. It doesn't look too bad - I wouldn't call it stylish, though. Most of those things are chipboard with a fake wood finish.

Jul 26, 2004 at 11:47 AM Post #3 of 19
You might want to look at boltz.com. They have a floor standing cd rack that holds 330 cds for $129.00.

Jul 26, 2004 at 11:49 AM Post #4 of 19
standing on edge is definitely the way to go?

320 seems like a lot. I have about 120 and I'll have 150 in a few months.

Jul 26, 2004 at 11:55 AM Post #5 of 19
i got my CD stand (for 60 cds) from a shop that sells pretty much everything cheap. costed me 6 dollars or something.

made from sort of thick wire, and now im pretty much using all the spaces already, and the CD stand become imbalanced, and tend to fall back (due to gravity), hehe... so i have to stand it against something or it will drop if i knock it even slighty...

also, the cd slot is not made properly, so if you store your CD, it can move to left and right, not straight..

moral : never buy a 6-bucks CD stand.

Jul 26, 2004 at 4:00 PM Post #6 of 19
To make life a lot easier and so that my cd's might not clash with the other shelving units in my room, I simply bought the same bookshelf as the ones I use for all of my books (and I have a lot) and added many shelves. It is mahogany finish, very strong support shelves (mdf, 1.5 inches thick) and I can fit 1000 cd's. It is really quite convenient and I bought it from Staples for 149.00 CAD + 15/extra shelf (15x4) so for a total of $200 CAD or so, which is $150 USD? I was able to fit an enormous amount of discs in one unit and stick with the decore of the room.

Going straight for the cd labelled racks could cost more than going for a bookshelf and then simply lining up your discs on it. Because it is classified as an audio rack...it brings in a higher dollar value.

Jul 26, 2004 at 4:17 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
To make life a lot easier and so that my cd's might not clash with the other shelving units in my room, I simply bought the same bookshelf as the ones I use for all of my books (and I have a lot) and added many shelves. It is mahogany finish, very strong support shelves (mdf, 1.5 inches thick) and I can fit 1000 cd's. It is really quite convenient and I bought it from Staples for 149.00 CAD + 15/extra shelf (15x4) so for a total of $200 CAD or so, which is $150 USD? I was able to fit an enormous amount of discs in one unit and stick with the decore of the room.

Going straight for the cd labelled racks could cost more than going for a bookshelf and then simply lining up your discs on it. Because it is classified as an audio rack...it brings in a higher dollar value.

This is perhaps the best idea for storing CD jewel cases and CDs. Why bother getting a separate CD / DVD rack if you can just use bookshelves that can store both books, magazines, CDs, DVDs, etc?

Perhaps you can do some price shopping before specifically buying from Staples. Look into discount furniture stores such as IKEA or even a garage sale as well. Your first priority is to find something that is very sturdy, durable, and reliable. Your second priority should be approximating how much space you can afford to buy. Your last priority should be finding a way to make it fit in your living space.

I just got to thinking: why not buy a miniature coffee table with rolling wheels? I can put my entire reference system on the top and I'd have two very large book shelves right under with which to fit CDs & books & magazines. I'm thinking IKEA.

Jul 26, 2004 at 5:55 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
This is perhaps the best idea for storing CD jewel cases and CDs. Why bother getting a separate CD / DVD rack if you can just use bookshelves that can store both books, magazines, CDs, DVDs, etc?

Perhaps you can do some price shopping before specifically buying from Staples. Look into discount furniture stores such as IKEA or even a garage sale as well. I'm thinking IKEA.

If you have a local IKEA they do some nice units I have a "Robin" which has 2 columns and 7 Rows - therefore 14 cubes and holds a total of 216 IIRC - the downside is that if you have any BIG boxed sets it is too narrow for them

Jul 26, 2004 at 6:32 PM Post #9 of 19
Ikea is a good recommendation. We have a couple of the Bennos left over from our post college days. Vertical rack that stores a combo of CDs and DVDs depending on how you arrange the shelves. Plus, they are inexpensive and are modular when matched with the Billy line of bookcases.

Jul 27, 2004 at 1:43 AM Post #10 of 19
Here are some of my favourite CD racks:

polimero1_r4_c2.jpg

ten1_r4_c2.jpg

rotary_glass1_r4_c2.jpg

Find more at Vismara

Jul 28, 2004 at 6:27 PM Post #12 of 19
Damn!!!!!

Those are beautifull.

Theirs probalbly a hefty pricetag on them.

Anyone have a quote on their systems?

Jul 28, 2004 at 7:10 PM Post #13 of 19
One thing to consider is open versus closed CD racks. In my house, I get a lot of dust. Wiping down hundreds of CD jewel boxes is no fun. Also, I don't like the idea of dust getting on my CD jewel cases in the first place. So I went with enclosed racks. The CDs are only slightly less accessible but stay completely in pristine condtion. YMMV.

-Z

Jul 28, 2004 at 7:18 PM Post #14 of 19
i already ordered THIS rack from ikea's website. It stores 180 cds and is 6'8" tall.
27452_PE067432_S4.jpg

Jul 29, 2004 at 1:02 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calanctus
rotary_glass1_r4_c2.jpg

That rack is AMAZING! Would hold nearly my entire collection right there...close off from dust and little kiddie fingers. Motorized too!!! I bet though shipping from Italy would be HELLISHLY $$$$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back