Where to fit the headphone amp in...
Jul 18, 2003 at 12:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

dabblerblue

100+ Head-Fier
I've just gotten my first headphone amp (Corda HA-1 MkII), and I'm trying to figure out where to put it in my home system.

My cd player (Sony SCD-XE 670
tongue.gif
) has a set of rca stereo outs which I coul use, but then i wouldn't be able to attach it to my receiver that way. It has the multi-channel outs, but I understand that you should use both sets at the same time.

It also has an optical out I could use to attach to my receiver (Kenwood VR-509
rolleyes.gif
) while I use the analogue outs to the headamp, but I'm uncertain how much I want to do that.

The receiver has a set of rca outputs, labelled 'monitor out'. I could use these to attach to the headamp, but am not sure how that would affect the sound from the cd player. However, this way I'd be able to listen to my turntable, dvd player, tv, and cd player by just switching inputs on the receiver.

Just looking for a little guidance here
smily_headphones1.gif

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jul 18, 2003 at 1:50 PM Post #2 of 3
You have a couple of choices:

The tape loop, or "monitor out" is a line level signal and would ideal if you want your CDP to connect to both the headamp and your integrated. Optimal? Perhaps not to a very small degree, but your ears may not even hear any difference. Try it and see.

Your alternative would be to get a "splitter." This would allow you to connect cable from your RCA outputs to both your headamp and your receiver. The ones from Vampire are very well made and have no negative affect on sound, at least to my ears.

y.jpg

yf.jpg

Jul 18, 2003 at 3:38 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks a lot! I think I will probably go the tape loop method. I was afraid the signal I'd get out of there would be degraded from having gone through tonnes of electronics, etc.

You've been very helpful
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back