where to find this simple power cord?
Aug 6, 2006 at 8:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

music_man

Headphoneus Supremus
hi,

i am looking for a iec>nema cord with 12 or 14 awg conductors. not an audiophile cord. 6' or less. available at retail.

standard iec> nema non-audiophile is 18awgx3(12 amps). need 15+amps.
the 12 awg seem to only be 15'+.

thanks,
music_man

Aug 6, 2006 at 10:55 AM Post #2 of 12
Volex 17604. Not really available at BestBuy but readily available on the internet for $5.

Aug 6, 2006 at 11:05 AM Post #3 of 12
thanks. i know about this. but i must be stupid because i cannot find a website that sells it! i simply typed it into google and i get page after page of reviews comments etc but nowhere to purchase it.

are there any more mainstream options? monster just says "heavy gauge" who knows what actual gauge that is. hosa has a 14 awg i can easily get. it is not shielded and is 15' feet which makes a great noise magnet.

music_man

Aug 6, 2006 at 11:28 AM Post #4 of 12
ok. carlton-bates.

i was hoping to find something at a local comp-usa type store.

i wish i could figure out what gauge the monster pl100 is.

i don't want an audiophile cable, just one that can draw a full 15 amps(14 awgx3).

music_man

Aug 6, 2006 at 3:32 PM Post #5 of 12
Volex isn't audiophile which is why the price is so low. If you don't want to order from Carlton, Dell also uses Volex but you might look funny ordering a power cord for the server you don't own
wink.gif

Aug 7, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #7 of 12
that is really expensive at carlton-bates. i don't get these expensive power cables.
i can't afford that one but i want it. maybe they would take a trade in on my nordhost valhalla. i'll call and see in the morning.

(in case you didn't guess, that is a joke). i think you guys know the real joke, so i won't repeat it yet again. there are already 50 power cord threads here. you know why i want the volex already.

anyhow i wanted something locally. as usual the monster is well, a monster(big looking cable, tiny wires).

music_man

Aug 7, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #8 of 12
the volex actually has beldfoil shield. i don't really want that anyhow.

i find the only(only!) improvement that can be made to a stock power cord is to go to 14awg instead of 18. the 18 is small and tends to heat up which does not help things.

i am baffled that some comapny does not make a stinking replacement cable for something that draws more than 10 amps. what the heck, any high-end class 'a' amp or 1000 watt server draws at least 12-13 amps. i can't beleive cdw does not have this since they sell 1000's of servers.

i will not make my own(personal reasons).

let's not start discussing cables here. if anyone want's to do me a favor and find a site that sells a non shielded, twisted, 14awgx3 nema> iec
computer or hospital cord i'd be appreciative. thats all.

thank you,
music_man

Aug 7, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #9 of 12
Definately go with the Volex for bang for buck... according to the AWG, 14 gauge wires will be good for the 15A. A perfect match!

Aug 7, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #11 of 12
i gotta see if zack has it in the morning. i am a regular customer there.

i don't really like the beldfoil on power cables though. mylar is ok too. i really prefer a twist instead of shield.

i'll call cdw too it is too hard to navigate their website for that.

thanks,
music_man

Aug 8, 2006 at 7:23 AM Post #12 of 12
i grabbed a shin din which is the same belden but with green dots on the ends. i am no fan of "flavored" cables but having the ability to draw the proper current without overheating the cable made a huge diference in the sound. that is not attributed to the cable though. it is because the first cable was simply the wrong tool for the job. now it has the proper one.

music_man

Users who are viewing this thread

Back