Where to find make a nice enclosure (case) ?
Mar 2, 2010 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

green0153

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,
I have a couple of projects that are in normal, standard cases now I would like
to put them in some nicer cases and I can't find them.

I'm in EU so naturally I looked at Hifi2000 cases and they are quite nice but
i'm looking for something different like this:

-scroll to the last aluminum enclosure....

Audio Volume Relay Attenuator project fotos

something like that case and a similar but not that large (Stax T2 enclosure) would be optimal.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Mar 2, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #2 of 10
The case you have your eye on is a Hexateq case. I'm not sure where to find them these days, as the site that sold them is down. They're *very* expensive as well (we're talking $300-400+).

Minisemi is soon going to stock similar-looking cases, although nobody knows what dimensions the offerings will have. Here's more info - High end enclosure chassis available soon at Minisemi.com - diyAudio

Mar 3, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #5 of 10
Wow....this hexateq case is exactly what I'm looking for... too bad it's no longer available !
The minisemi is in the same spirit but it's weirdly proportionned. Very tall.
Audio-GD case are built the same way, with rounded corner (and not just a milled faceplate). Anyone know if they outsource the production to a company or do they make it themselves ?

Mar 3, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #6 of 10
Is there anything similar to the second case in that first link currently available?

I forget the name, but IIRC the company that makes that case (or one similar to it that I've seen before) has gone belly up some time ago.

Mar 3, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #7 of 10
I might suggest that the Hexateq case is really just an assembly of "flat" and simple extrusions. If you were planning to outsource the front anyway (say, to Schaeffer), it might be worth it to just DIY the whole case. It will cost you time, rather than money...but you can achieve exactly what you want...and isn't that the point of DIY?
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: forgot to include the reason for posting! You can find the "flat" and extruded pieces at many metal shops, probably in aluminum, too, which is relatively easy to work with. There are also online stores that specialize in selling pieces of aluminum online, though I have found they are always inferior to finding a local shop (at least in the USA).

Mar 4, 2010 at 7:53 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I might suggest that the Hexateq case is really just an assembly of "flat" and simple extrusions. If you were planning to outsource the front anyway (say, to Schaeffer), it might be worth it to just DIY the whole case. It will cost you time, rather than money...but you can achieve exactly what you want...and isn't that the point of DIY?
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: forgot to include the reason for posting! You can find the "flat" and extruded pieces at many metal shops, probably in aluminum, too, which is relatively easy to work with. There are also online stores that specialize in selling pieces of aluminum online, though I have found they are always inferior to finding a local shop (at least in the USA).

Yeah...good idea will try to do that.
If the shop can cut aluminum ,I'am going with that option.

I contacted Richard Krol from Hexateq and he told me that they don't make cases anymore because of the high cost of the production.

Minisemi costs 350$ so it isn't cheap either.

Both are really nice cases the best that I've seen so far for a "normal price".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back