Where to find complete DJ sets (top40/dance)
Jun 15, 2005 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

z28dreams

Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've been looking to try to find some complete DJ sets like they would play at clubs. I've got plenty of the music, just not mixed as cool as the pros can do.

Mostly want top40/dance/pop type stuff... not interested in techno. The more modern the better.

Ideas on where to look? Torrents? Sites? Other?

Thanks!

Jun 15, 2005 at 12:38 AM Post #2 of 13
This will be a true test of the Head Fi Music Forum's diversity of tastes.....

Jun 15, 2005 at 3:16 AM Post #5 of 13
I have no idea if this is what you are speaking of, but many of The Beat's listings have "DJ" and "remix" in the titles.

http://stores.ebay.com/The-Beat-On-Line

By the way, The Beat is a brick and mortar store that I frequent almost weekly and buy tons of vinyl there. They are good people.

Jun 15, 2005 at 9:03 AM Post #6 of 13
Are you after actual live sets? Or simply DJ mixes? In either case I am hardly going to mention torrents here, suffice to say I've never looked. My suspicion is that you won't find many, not reliable feeds anyway. The best bet is to buy CD's. To be honest, you can find DJ mixes in any record store in my city so you should maybe head to yours as a first start. Drum'n'bass is the genre I know best, and I can recommend the Fabriclive series here - but most d'n'b releases are mix sets so you'll probably have lots of choice. Andy C has done a couple of good ones. I know the same thing exists for House music, it's probably right next to d'n'b in your record stores electronica section. As for trance, well it's everywhere so you should have no problem. Gatecrasher, God's Kitchen... there are also more 'name' DJ sets.

Get down to your store and have a look.

HTH
280smile.gif

Jun 15, 2005 at 2:51 PM Post #8 of 13
Hmm

As I tried to explain, I'm not looking for techno/trance/etc...

What I really want is something like the top 40 hits that you'd normally hear on the radio and at bars.

Rather than have a set playlist of song-after-song winamp style, I was looking for someone who had mixed them together with smooth transitions (beat matching), and some mashups/overlays too.

Ideas?

Jun 15, 2005 at 6:57 PM Post #9 of 13
muahaha. MTV Party To Go Vol 2. is still the pinnacle of the Top 40 house party mix for me. it's all mixed in, transition is done old-school with some cuts, sampling, and even some scratches before the transition is done, and the song selection (for the time) ruled.

Check out that Bad ass playlist!

Jun 19, 2005 at 5:26 PM Post #13 of 13
Bit-torrent and www.shoutcast.com are probably good sources of that sort of music. You can use bit-torrent to download otherwise un-released sets/mixes/songs. Shoutcast can be used to stream loads of music. Both legal methods unless you download or record the streams of copyrighted material.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back