Jan 10, 2011 at 2:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tnmike1

Headphoneus Supremus
Looking for several of Bill Evans' larger box sets
  Turn out the Stars
  Consecration--#1 and #2
   Last Waltz
  Riverside Set

These sell for between $61 for Turn out the Stars to $400 for the Riverside Set.  Have only seen them all on Amazon

So question is: where do I begin to look to find these at less money???  

anyone have any good online sources for this type music?

Jan 11, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #2 of 6

Quote:
Looking for several of Bill Evans' larger box sets
  Turn out the Stars
  Consecration--#1 and #2
   Last Waltz
  Riverside Set

These sell for between $61 for Turn out the Stars to $400 for the Riverside Set.  Have only seen them all on Amazon

So question is: where do I begin to look to find these at less money???  

anyone have any good online sources for this type music?

Best chance is probably ebay or a local used record store. That Riverside Set is hell to find. Took me a long time to find it. In general, Bill Evans will always be pricey and hard to find but IMHO, it's worth every penny and worth the effort.

You should hear the Riverside Set released by Analogue Productions. Stunning!

Jan 11, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #3 of 6
Many thanks for jogging my memory.  Hadn't even THOUGHT of ebay.  And since I have several CDs whose music was on the Riverside set, would probably concentrate on Evans' last works.  But thanks for reminding me of ebay

Jan 13, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #4 of 6
It may not help in this particular case, but Newberry Comics and Second Spin sometimes have great deals on jazz boxes. I just picked up two Sonny Rollins boxes dirt cheap.

Jan 14, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
It may not help in this particular case, but Newberry Comics and Second Spin sometimes have great deals on jazz boxes. I just picked up two Sonny Rollins boxes dirt cheap.

Second Spin was the first place I tried.  Will look at Newberry Comics

Jan 15, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #6 of 6
Downtown Music Gallery has a lot of hard-to-find jazz, they list "Turn out the Stars" for $48... they get a lot of limited edition/used/rare stuff so it's worth signing up for their weekly newsletter if you are often looking for difficult-to-source sets.

Their website doesn't always inspire confidence, but don't be alarmed
wink.gif
it's a small shop in NYC run by some very enthusiastic and hardcore music fans, they are good people... I run into the owners at concerts on a regular basis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back