Where to demo headphones
Dec 21, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #16 of 29
Has the best barbecue. Fight me. Texas has the best barbecue. Fight me.
smily_headphones1.gif

no fight from me on that man...totally agree

Dec 21, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #21 of 29
I don't know. I've been all over Texas and I have to say that Louisiana's food is still better. Of course I'm biased though.
wink.gif

I will take Texas BBQ and Delta Blues vs Delta food and Texas blues each and everytime

Dec 21, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #25 of 29
  If you ever find yourself in SE Asia you'll be in heaven...I sat in one store and a/b all day long Abyss vs Stax vs you name it....Thailand and Singapore are stocked of fully loaded brick and mortar shops offering 100s of different headphones,DACs,amps...and you can literally sit there all day long and nobody bothers you!

Ive often wondered why such a shop doesnt exist in USA.

Jaben in SG/BKK told me they were considering a shop in states but that was a good 5 years ago,so clearly theres a reason.

FWIW to OP I have a bunch of buds in ATex...all of em are rockin M-100s for some reason...maybe for when they hit The Salt Lick and wanna rock out?

The audio market in USA does not focus on high end audio. Simply put, the market advertises the latest trend in portable audio such as wireless ANC headphones and extra bass bluetooth headphones. Bose and Beats of course predominate this market as any other brands pit against Bose that are more expensive will be considered "rip off" to the eyes of the typical consumer in USA. As for high end headphones, you pretty much rely on your local home audio installation service, but even then, they won't have headphones for audition but speakers rather. At home, only I care for audio quality, and the rest of them are 100% fine with sound coming out of their smartphones or TV speakers. For a niche market, there is no point of selling any product in a brick and mortar fashion that won't make profit due to being luscious and impractical to the average consumer.

Dec 21, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #26 of 29
Okay, last post for the night. :wink:

I forgot to mention this, but there are always local meets popping up, so check here regularly as well:

http://www.head-fi.org/f/24/local-regional-head-fi-meets-parties-get-togethers

Edit: Most recent Texas meet, organized by yours-truly:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/812960/impressions-of-the-official-head-fi-houston-fourth-of-july-weekend-meet-saturday-july-2nd-2016-looscan-library

Dec 21, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #27 of 29

The audio market in USA does not focus on high end audio. Simply put, the market advertises the latest trend in portable audio such as wireless ANC headphones and extra bass bluetooth headphones. Bose and Beats of course predominate this market as any other brands pit against Bose that are more expensive will be considered "rip off" to the eyes of the typical consumer in USA. As for high end headphones, you pretty much rely on your local home audio installation service, but even then, they won't have headphones for audition but speakers rather. At home, only I care for audio quality, and the rest of them are 100% fine with sound coming out of their smartphones or TV speakers. For a niche market, there is no point of selling any product in a brick and mortar fashion that won't make profit due to being luscious and impractical to the average consumer.

yeah I have witnessed that myself.My HiFi dealer doesnt carry any headphones other than your obligatory Bose and what have you.
I finally convinced him a couple years ago to bring in some hi-end stuff,so he started carrying Audeze and Sennheiser...and then after about a year he quit headphones.I asked him "what happened"?!?
He says "I never sell any,its a waste of time and space."
I say,"Bruce you never brought in any amps to drive them correctly"
He says "I just plug them into a receiver headphone jack,its good enough"
I say "no...its not"
He says "....................................."

Dec 23, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #29 of 29
Hello.
I live in Austin TX and am not sure if there is any place to demo headphones. I want to demo headphones because I have gotten advice to listen to them before I get one. However in Austin I am not aware if there is any place to demo 'phones. If any of you know a place could you help me out?

I went into a Guitar Center once and the guy working in the DJ/keyboard area just let me open any box of headphones and listen to them. They had DT770's, ATH-M50x, Sony's, AKG's, probably 8-12 headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back