Where to buy/try in Toronto...?
Aug 16, 2003 at 1:48 AM Post #3 of 16
Bloor and Bay. Alright cool... is that the advertisement you always hear on the radio "The greatest sound... at Bay and Bloor" or something like that? hehe.

Yeah I think my friend was telling me about that... will do!
biggrin.gif
Thanks! Do you have directions? Which subway station to get off? LOL. I'll google for that.

Are any of them amp'ed...?

Aug 16, 2003 at 1:58 AM Post #4 of 16
Yes, that is the place!!! If I remember correctly, the store is in Manuial Life Center.

They do have amp, however, I don't know which kind of amp they are using. (they hide the amp)
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Anyway, that is a good place to check for the headphone, at least you can touch it and play around with it. However, that is not a good place to listen to headphone, since lots of ppl talking beside you.
mad.gif

Aug 16, 2003 at 2:08 AM Post #5 of 16
With any luck, the power will be back in full swing when you want to go. The subway is not running right now, and may not until next week.

They might still be having their summer headphone sale. I picked up a pair of HD600's for something like 450CAD.

http://www.baybloorradio.com/

Aug 16, 2003 at 2:24 AM Post #6 of 16
Just a warning though, the headphones are located in the middle of the store where there is no sound isolation. If you're trying the headphones, you'll be able to hear everything around you in the store, making it difficult to compare. They carry Grado, Sennheiser, Bose, AKG, Denon and Sony headphones from what i recall.

Good luck

Aug 16, 2003 at 2:53 AM Post #7 of 16
Some more places other than Bay Bloor Radio:

Kromer Radio
420 Bathurst Street
Toronto, On
M5T 2S6
Tel: 416 920-6700
http://www.kromerradio.com/

Applause Audio
758 Queen Street East
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
M4M 1H4
Phone: (416) 465-7649
Fax: (416) 465-9147
http://www.applauseaudio.com

Executive Stereo
2152 Yonge Street
Toronto, ON M4S 2A8
Phone: (416)927-1400

and ofcourse Bay Bloor

Bay Bloor Radio
8 Banigan Drive
Toronto, On
M4H 1E9
Tel: 416 967-1122

Hope this helps

Haseeb

Aug 16, 2003 at 3:54 AM Post #9 of 16
In Toronto I'd defintely second the Kromer Radio recommendation, I bought my speakers there. Great customer service and I'm just about positive they carry the entire Senn line.

Aug 16, 2003 at 2:24 PM Post #11 of 16
Wow their sales email didn't help
frown.gif
I asked for directions, cos I didn't know my way in Downtown Toronto, so they told me to look at a map
frown.gif

Can somebody give me the basic location of them? Streets wont help cause I dunno which subway station to get off at!

You guys say its not a good place to listen... so what is??

Aug 16, 2003 at 3:19 PM Post #12 of 16
Which direction will you be coming from? As has been said before, BBR is at the bottom level of the Manulife Center.

If you are taking the Yonge line, get off at Bloor and walk one street west, to Bay. The Manulife Center is quite large and has lots of other shops. From the outside, you will see Varsity cinemas, William Ashley.

If you are taking the University line, get off at Museum and walk east along Bloor to Bay.

If you are taking the Bloor/Danforth line, get off at Bay and walk south to Bloor.

It will be really hard to miss the Manulife Center if you are anywhere close to it.

I can't help you with directions to the other places until I know where you are coming in from.

The other posters are right, the headphone area is quite noisy, but they are all out on display on a wall, giving you the chance to play with them all at once. You would probably be able to narrow your search here just based on comfort and price, and then look for a quiet place for your final decision.

Aug 16, 2003 at 4:08 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by dabblerblue
Do they sell Grado SR-225's for a decent price at any of these places? I may have to take a trip to Toronto when I get back to Canada...
rs1smile.gif

I think the answer is, it depends. I did a lot of looking around online before I bought in a local retail store. If you can find a sale price, or make a deal with the sales person, the difference between online and retail is not that different.

In my case, when I bought my HD600s earlier this summer, the price was actually better in my local store because of the sale price. When you order online, the price has to be really good because of shipping, brokerage fees and GST. Plus, there are advantages to developing a good relationship with a local store. I make a lot of purchases online myself, but not just for the sake it being online.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back