Where to buy the OPA2107?
Feb 10, 2006 at 4:55 PM Post #16 of 42
Quote:

did you compare this to non samples?

With AD - now, I did not. I'm just stating the fact that 2 out of 4 samples do not conform to the specs. These chips shouldn't have passed QC. And it's not what you expect from a stock chip, isn't it.

My own opinion is that getting free samples is OK, as long as you don't abuse the system by ordering more than what's for "personal use"; and do not resell them, or use them in a product for sale. I was told by a senior engineer of one of those companies that average manifacturing price per chip is 10c; besides, as the gadgets get cheaper (and the size smaller) IMHO number of DYI-ers doesn't seem to soar. So it's not the samples that'll weight 'em down.

Which doesn't mean that some greedy ***** couldn't piss them off...

Just my 2c

Feb 10, 2006 at 5:07 PM Post #17 of 42
it may not be what you expect from a stock chip but it very might well be what you get from a stock chip.

re: sampling, if every man and their dog hadnt ordered opa627's for their cmoy's or pimeta's then maybe this part would still be available for engineers to sample online. i believe that the main "cost" rather then production costs for a manufacturer is man hours and logistical costs. someone has to process each order and then ship it out, ive seen Ti ship via UPS (seemingly globally), and National via intl airmail, havent really heard about other manuf's of semiconductors. considering the scale on which they operate per chip, operating a sample program can end up being costly, if i was in the financial department of any semiconductor manuf i'd be reccomending a reduction of "public" sample programs. it'd defn help tighten the belt around the bottom line
wink.gif

Feb 11, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #18 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xakepa
Just keep in mind, free samples are usually of a lower quality than stock chips.

What a load of crud. If anything the samples are "very" close to specification.

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
I have no desire to debate this type of behavior in this thread but it's actions like this that cause sample programs to be canceled. What the crap do you need with 4 of each?
rolleyes.gif

Who are you, the opamp police?
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigcat39
Taking samples to just save a couple of bucks is immoral @ best. And it ruins it for those that need it to do their jobs.

Excuse me just one moment, if TI / AD are stupid enough to give them away to "anybody" without even checking the validity of the person then they are open to abuse. I'm sure if they were feeling the pinch they'd soon tighten up the samples program accordingly. People who don't have a lot of money (students etc.) remember getting their samples and when they're in business making a lot of money they're likely to "buy" from TI / AD in the future so it's good business practice for TI / AD to give away freebies. Hell, this forum (and forums like it) does most of their advertising for them so you could consider them giving away samples as "free advertising" for them. A couple of chips is not "abuse" and saving a couple of bucks is not a crime... I would hate to think the sample program was only available to a "select few"

Feb 11, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #19 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Who are you, the opamp police?
wink.gif

Not hardly
smily_headphones1.gif
, but just as you are allowed to have an opinion on the subject so am I. And I wasn't chastising the individual for using the sampling program but rather for abuse. Getting 4 samples each of two chips when you have one amp to try them in is absurd, at best. At worst you'll see him selling them here on Head-Fi or on Ebay (strictly prohibited by the sampling rules but you know people do). And I'm speaking in general terms so don't go getting all offended Gorthon.

Quote:

Excuse me just one moment, if TI / AD are stupid enough to give them away to "anybody" without even checking the validity of the person then they are open to abuse.

That's like saying if a store doesn't have adequate security then they deserve to be stolen from, which is again absurd. The simple fact of the matter is that it's impossible to regulate the sample program and TI/AD and others are relying on people's honesty, which is clearly not working, and integrity, which obviously some people don't have.

Quote:

I'm sure if they were feeling the pinch they'd soon tighten up the samples program accordingly.

Why don't you go try to get a sample of the OPA627/637 or BUF624? Oh wait you actually have to PAY for them now. I don't think it's too great a leap to infer that this is at least in part due to the rampant abuse that has gone on with these parts.

Bottom line, I've got no problem with anyone using the system to try something out, but don't be a jerk about it and get more than you need. I've used the sample program, appropriately in my opinion. I got samples of a buffer to facillitate the prototyping of a particular amp which once PCBs were produced generated literally hundreds of sales for TI. That, in my opinion, is a valid use of the sample program. Just becuase I'm not a business doesn't make it wrong but I followed the intent of the program. The examples listed so far in this thread tread in a grey area that I'm not comfortable commenting on purely because I'm just me, and who the crap cares about what I have to say
biggrin.gif

Way more than my 2¢ but since this was a free "sample" I suppose you shouldn't feel too ripped off...

Nate

Feb 11, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #20 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
I've used the sample program, appropriately in my opinion.

As long as you can sleep at night all's well
wink.gif

BTW I've got quite a few 2107 and if the original poster still wants a couple free PM me, they're dip8.

Feb 11, 2006 at 5:00 AM Post #21 of 42
It would not make any sense for AD or TI to pre-sort samples. Think about it, what would be the point? You then can't USE them for their intended purpose as an engineer as well as (whoever else might take them).

I think it'd be pretty easy to abuse the samples program, but on the other hand, give AD and TI a little credit, they're not stupid. They know students, hobbyists, and even occasionally the scum reselling them on ebay, are doing so... and yet they do not further limit the samples in general. IIRC, one of the two even had a place on their request form where there was an option for "student" or "hobbyist" or something to that effect.

If they decide the cost outweighs the benefit, they have every option to limit their programs. I think it's a bit selfish to order samples for a one-off amp but that's between AD/TI and the person ordering them. I can only hope they give the company a little consideration and buy more parts from them in the future.

Feb 11, 2006 at 5:03 AM Post #22 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
What a load of crud. If anything the samples are "very" close to specification.

Excuse me for the generalization, it's not justified. I can just restate the fact: 2 out of (the only) 4 free samples I ever got were having a larger input offset voltage that the maximim specified.

Oh yes, I have to wait 15min for them to thermalize and settle, and than provide sufficient cooling so to keep the ambient temp at 25C...
plainface.gif

Feb 11, 2006 at 12:05 PM Post #23 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xakepa
Excuse me for the generalization, it's not justified. I can just restate the fact: 2 out of (the only) 4 free samples I ever got were having a larger input offset voltage that the maximim specified.

Oh yes, I have to wait 15min for them to thermalize and settle, and than provide sufficient cooling so to keep the ambient temp at 25C...
plainface.gif

Yeh sorry for the generalisation it's possible you did receive some out of spec samples but I don't think TI / AD send out "seconds" as samples. As far as I am aware they send out samples which are representative of the the ones they sell (same chips) it would be a bit silly of them if they were to send out duffs as sample... what type of impression would that give the potential buyer?

Feb 19, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #24 of 42
Hello, I found this thread and I was wondeing if anybody had a suggestion.
I am actually in the oposite configuration as Jeff, I am wondering If I could not , by changing the opamp in the firestone cute, bring a sound that would be a little more bright to compensate a bit the senn.

Well, At least I would likt to try and hear by myself if there is a difference ( I guess yes ) and if I like it.

Like Jeff, I am not a DIYer at all, I might try to do an interconnect in a couple of weeks and I will have to buy a soldering iron for that :wink:

This thread is usefull for me as ....
a) I do not know anything about compatibility
b) Jeff already posted the pictures
biggrin.gif

It might look silly, but just unplug the op2227 and put an other one in the socket will already be pretty adventurous for me
tongue.gif
eek.gif
rolleyes.gif
piggy backed as well in an other thread related to this, but this oneis interesting as well because it has the pictures

I
Thank you !
Lionel

Feb 19, 2006 at 7:56 AM Post #25 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by lionel marechal
Hello, I found this thread and I was wondeing if anybody had a suggestion.
I am actually in the oposite configuration as Jeff, I am wondering If I could not , by changing the opamp in the firestone cute, bring a sound that would be a little more bright to compensate a bit the senn.

Well, At least I would likt to try and hear by myself if there is a difference ( I guess yes ) and if I like it.

Like Jeff, I am not a DIYer at all, I might try to do an interconnect in a couple of weeks and I will have to buy a soldering iron for that :wink:

This thread is usefull for me as ....
a) I do not know anything about compatibility
b) Jeff already posted the pictures
biggrin.gif

It might look silly, but just unplug the op2227 and put an other one in the socket will already be pretty adventurous for me
tongue.gif
eek.gif
rolleyes.gif
piggy backed as well in an other thread related to this, but this oneis interesting as well because it has the pictures

I
Thank you !
Lionel

AD8620s would fit your needs well I think... for senns and stuff. I have AD8620 for your need in the FS forum

Feb 20, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #26 of 42
After receiving the OPA2107 and popping it into my amp, I must say it did nothing to tame the highs of my V6's and Grado 225's. However, the detail that this chip added to the amp was astounding, and I consider it a great upgrade for this amp. The bass on my V6 has the same power, but now it has genuine SLAM, and not indistinct BOOM, having much more body and punch. Subtle details come through that I did not hear before, and overall there is better seperation of elements of the music.

Anyone that has the Cute Beyond ought to pick up this chip and check out the difference.

The Cute Beyond also had another chip just to the left of the OPA2107 (don't remember the markings on it). What does that chip do? Does anyone have a recommendation for replacement?

Feb 20, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #27 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry
After receiving the OPA2107 and popping it into my amp, I must say it did nothing to tame the highs of my V6's and Grado 225's. However, the detail that this chip added to the amp was astounding, and I consider it a great upgrade for this amp. The bass on my V6 has the same power, but now it has genuine SLAM, and not indistinct BOOM, having much more body and punch. Subtle details come through that I did not hear before, and overall there is better seperation of elements of the music.

Anyone that has the Cute Beyond ought to pick up this chip and check out the difference.

The Cute Beyond also had another chip just to the left of the OPA2107 (don't remember the markings on it). What does that chip do? Does anyone have a recommendation for replacement?

have you tried the AD8620 for detail?

Feb 20, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #28 of 42
Feb 25, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #29 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire
have you tried the AD8620 for detail?

No, not yet. Does the AD8620 come in a DIP8? I recall looking for it and not finding it in that configuration.

Feb 25, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #30 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry
No, not yet. Does the AD8620 come in a DIP8? I recall looking for it and not finding it in that configuration.

yay, i have one fs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back