Where to buy quality 4-pin XLR connectors?
Jan 17, 2011 at 11:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

wompa164

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm getting ready to build my first HD650 replacement cable. I've got the cable narrowed down between Canare Quadstar and Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3, though the difference in price is roughly $15.00 per foot, lol. Any input or suggestions on the cable would be nice.

I'm looking for a high quality (along the lines of Cardas, Furutech, etc.) 4-pin XLR connector to terminate the cable with, but I can't find ANYTHING. All of the connectors listed on Moon Audio's website (http://www.moon-audio.com/DIY_Other_Connectors.htm) are 3-pin XLR.

Any help? Any tips?

Jan 20, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #4 of 6
yeah they dont exist i'm afraid. the neutrik XX series and switchcraft HD series are the best of them. nobody makes a really high end one, but the neutriks are quite good if you get the XX series rather than just X. if you are in control of the wiring and sockets in your amp build then I suggest using the lemo 0S series instead, they are much smaller and, use copper pins with gold plate and Peek dielectric (pretty much the best polymer dielectric known to man) and they are smexy too

Jan 20, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #5 of 6
Yup, that's consistent with what I found during my research. For anyone that's curious, shortly after making this post I decided to check Mouser (I was stupid not to check there to begin with since I order so much other stuff from them) and they had something I was happy with, Neutrik XX 4-pin connectors: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Neutrik/NC4MXX-B/?qs=RMiEzKrVl1coCNYblfzjwvRivkSOWu%2fOXkbne%252bdWo7M%3d

They looked good on the datasheet and I like the fact that you can swap out the color rings :D

Feb 24, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #6 of 6
Frequently, after trying many other brands of plugs, i find myself always returning back to neutrik for their plugs. Everything from 1/4, 1/8 to XLR and speakons. neutrik plugs are very reliable and hardened. the price is much more reasonable compared to many other brands too.

I've been using canare cables for some time now, and i like the sound pretty much for guitar leads and mic cables. it offers much more clarity and openness to the sound. when used with mics in the studio, it lifts up the veil on the vocals that is present with many other brands. Canare L4E6s Star Quads are my choice with pro audio. not so sure how it would translate into the head-fi world, but it's my 2c.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back