Where to buy NOS tubes for my millett
Dec 7, 2006 at 11:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

adfinni

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, ive jsut recieved my millett from a fellow head-fier and was wondering where the best place to get some NOS 12FK6 tubes are. I have read the tube stickie but their are soo many places, and a few of the larger ones jsut list 'various brands in stock'.

Ive found some sylviana tubes but they will cost ~$25 shipped to the UK
blink.gif
Does you know if any of the sites listing various manufacturers in stock will send specific brands if i ask, and will send pairs of matched tubes?
Im looking to try some RCA or tung-sil tubes ideally.

p.s. keep an eye out for my millett review and major mod log
biggrin.gif

thanks

Dec 7, 2006 at 1:25 PM Post #2 of 7
ebay.
some of the online tube dealers will accept requests for brands, or if you order a few tubes will at the least not give you say 6 of the same.

best mod to millet:
remove the film caps. all of them. jmho.

Dec 7, 2006 at 1:40 PM Post #3 of 7
Personally I didn't find tube rolling made much difference in my Millett, though the 12FK6s were better enough to warrant the extra cost over the 12AE6As I originally tried. I got mine from tubedepot, I think they were RCA. I wouldn't spend much on Millett tubes.

Dec 7, 2006 at 3:52 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ebay.
some of the online tube dealers will accept requests for brands, or if you order a few tubes will at the least not give you say 6 of the same.

Ah ok il have a look around. Im not looking to tube roll at all really, and jsut want to stock up on 2 pairs of NOS tubes to keep me going for the next few years.

Those sylviana tubes ive found on ebay seem bloody expensive now for a single pair. The tubestore seem to have NOS 12FK6's at only $6, but tube depot don't seem to stock them. Il shoot some companies an email after christmas as it's getting far too close now.

Quote:

best mod to millet:
remove the film caps. all of them. jmho.

blink.gif
Really, ive never heard anything about that. Well anyway my order jsut arrived all the way from welborne in the USA, with some 35V/470uF cerafines, a few 220uF cerafines, a load of wima 0.22uf/160V (about x9), some vishay/dale resistors. Plus i have x2 BG standard 50V/470uF, with x2 BG NX hi-q caps for bypassing the other BG's directly (will be at C7 L/R).

The amp sounds great with teh standard parts Tsappis put in but i want more, plus will be replacing the LED's under the tubes, and the front panel ones with bright white LED's.

cheers

Dec 7, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #5 of 7
Oh, you bought that amp from Tsappis. So many times I nearly pushed the button to buy that amp! It was a lovely version and at a very reasonable price. Only thing that stopped me was that I wanted a USB DAC too for PC listening. Always felt sorry I just didn't go for it!!!!

Happy listening!

As regards tubes, I bought some one time from a fella called jim Mcshane (I think). He does a lot of repairs/mods on citation amps. He has a large range of tubes and is good to deal with. easy on shipping and so on....

Actually I just looked it up, the page is here

Fran

Dec 8, 2006 at 3:19 AM Post #6 of 7
i think that tube rolling can have a pretty substantial effect on the millet. most tube amps in fact...

most of the tubes sound different. i suspect the ones that the sound more similar are re-labeled (likely re-labeled by mfr) tubes that are the same.

Dec 8, 2006 at 4:51 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think that tube rolling can have a pretty substantial effect on the millet. most tube amps in fact...

most of the tubes sound different. i suspect the ones that the sound more similar are re-labeled (likely re-labeled by mfr) tubes that are the same.

excellent, time to search for a few NOS tubes. Il be modding my millett this weekend so will start a thread with some nice piccies
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back