Where to buy mini Potentiometer for HiFi ?
Oct 16, 2008 at 12:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

calico88

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a mini potentiometer 100K stereo, diameter is about 15mm or less.
high end quality like alps or bourne quality.

I found 50K on ebay, but not 100K.

does anyone know where to buy ?

thank you
cal

Oct 17, 2008 at 11:56 AM Post #5 of 15
Myrdin,
what's the meaning by resistant taper ?
what do you meant by sharper ? very sensitive if you turn the volume it respond to much ?

what's the difference ?

which one is best for stereo volume audio hifi ?

cal

Oct 17, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #6 of 15
Most companies call it an audio taper, Alps calls it 3B. It refers to a logarithmic resistance taper designed for audio volume control. The 1B taper from Alps is designed specifically for tone control but is almost identical to the 3b taper. There's just a more abrupt transition from total or no cutout to sound at the extreme ends of rotation.
alps_tapers.png

Aug 4, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #7 of 15
I will resurrect this thread asking for very good quality mini stereo pot with 50K Ohm resistance and logarithmic for audio volume? Any thoughts? Those mentioned here are for 100K, I am looking for 50K log for audio volume in mini format. Could be any other than ALPS, but very good quality. Thanks in advance.

Aug 4, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #8 of 15
  I will resurrect this thread asking for very good quality mini stereo pot with 50K Ohm resistance and logarithmic for audio volume? Any thoughts? Those mentioned here are for 100K, I am looking for 50K log for audio volume in mini format. Could be any other than ALPS, but very good quality. Thanks in advance.

If 16mm is small enough, then TKD 16mm audio pots are very highly regarded, although I've never wanted to spend that much myself (about twice the price of an alps RK27).

If going for 9mm, then Alps, Bourns, Vishay are all pretty good imo. Just make sure to get the proper audio 'A' taper.

I have this style vishay in my O2 (but in 10K), a little bit more expensive than alps or bourns, but i was making a farnell order anyway. I'm happy with it, although i do prefer larger diameter pots.
http://pl.farnell.com/vishay-sfernice/p9a2r100fisx1503ml/pot-log-dual-50k/dp/8791392

Aug 5, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #9 of 15
  If 16mm is small enough, then TKD 16mm audio pots are very highly regarded, although I've never wanted to spend that much myself (about twice the price of an alps RK27).

If going for 9mm, then Alps, Bourns, Vishay are all pretty good imo. Just make sure to get the proper audio 'A' taper.

I have this style vishay in my O2 (but in 10K), a little bit more expensive than alps or bourns, but i was making a farnell order anyway. I'm happy with it, although i do prefer larger diameter pots.
http://pl.farnell.com/vishay-sfernice/p9a2r100fisx1503ml/pot-log-dual-50k/dp/8791392

Many thanks for this information. I have in my amp regular green pot which cracking time to time as hell. Don't know if it's relevant, but the amp design is DC Coupled so probably DC current is going over the pot tape and that's why all of those cracks. Do you think that better pot will improve that situation?

Aug 5, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #10 of 15
  Many thanks for this information. I have in my amp regular green pot which cracking time to time as hell. Don't know if it's relevant, but the amp design is DC Coupled so probably DC current is going over the pot tape and that's why all of those cracks. Do you think that better pot will improve that situation?

Any pot will still make crackling sounds with enough DC across it.
Try putting a capacitor in there for AC-coupling, and see what difference it makes.

Aug 5, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #11 of 15
  Any pot will still make crackling sounds with enough DC across it.
Try putting a capacitor in there for AC-coupling, and see what difference it makes.

Hm, so how other amps are implemented and not crackling? Quite annoying when listening over headphones and you need to change the volume level - quite often usually. 

Aug 6, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #12 of 15
Any potentiometer will crackling overtime, even the most expensive ones.
I regularly just turned it fully left/right dozen times to "clean' it by itself.
This will fix it temporary, only if by then it doesn't fixed it anymore, you need either open it to clean or replace with new ones:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Clean-The-Controls-On-Your-Amplifier/

Aug 6, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #13 of 15
Any potentiometer will crackling overtime, even the most expensive ones.
I regularly just turned it fully left/right dozen times to "clean' it by itself.
This will fix it temporary, only if by then it doesn't fixed it anymore, you need either open it to clean or replace with new ones:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Clean-The-Controls-On-Your-Amplifier/

Quite true, but in the high end equipment it less happens IMHO. 

Aug 6, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #14 of 15
Quite true, but in the high end equipment it less happens IMHO. 

Ofcource cheap ones are more unreliable with cheap material that would tear and wear faster and fail, thats the price-quality paid for.
But even here a very expensive ALPS over time 'll have some scratchy noises (although much quieter than cheaper potmeters) when knob is dialed/moved at some parts.
It can be quiet for months when the turning quickly left/right to clean any dirt on the tapers.

Its the nature of mechanical contacts, only using digital volume control could be mechanical (scratch) noisefree, but digital control can have digital (clicking) S/N noise/distortion/artifacts/lower S/N and few volume steps, so thats even worst and why they are not used in HQ gears.

Sep 21, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #15 of 15

Users who are viewing this thread

Back