Where to buy K1000 replacement temple cushions?
Mar 31, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #2 of 13
no such thing. you have to get them direct from AKG and last time i checked they ran about $25 a pop [for a single one not a pair!] plus shipping. You may be better off making your own replacements.

Apr 1, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #3 of 13
Yeah... considering there's four of them at over $25 each, and AKG regularly raises prices on replacement parts, it's not really a good option to buy new ones.

They're real leather unlike other AKG pads that use pleather, so really only the foam inside them needs replacing. Each one is just a foam wedge glued to a little cardboard rectangle with the leather wrapped over it. Unstick the four flaps on the leather so you can peel it off the cardboard/foam, cut some new pieces of foam to put in, then glue it back together.

Apr 1, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no such thing. you have to get them direct from AKG and last time i checked they ran about $25 a pop [for a single one not a pair!] plus shipping. You may be better off making your own replacements.

Do you have the exact replacement part # for the pads? What's the best # to call @ AKG for ordering such parts? Thanks!

Apr 1, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by babyoh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have the exact replacement part # for the pads? What's the best # to call @ AKG for ordering such parts? Thanks!

i dont have the p/n unfortunetly.

Contact

Harman Consumer Group @ 818 920-3212 or AKGUSASERVICE@harman.com

If they dont have the information on hand they'll contact AKG directly then forward the information to you.

Apr 2, 2009 at 12:29 PM Post #6 of 13
In the past, I've used a piece of 1/2" x 3/4" x 1" long foam weatherstripping, cut from a roll from Ace Hardware. It doesn't look as good but it's actually much more comfortable than those hard rubber pads.

Apr 2, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #8 of 13
Can't help you with info about where to buy them, but I have to comment about the price.
I ordered 2 complete sets (4 large and 4 small pads) from a local AKG dealer a few months back, and I paid about $140 for all of them (including 25% VAT).

The part numbers are:
* 2500M02010 - Small ones
* 2500M02020 - Bigger ones

Apr 2, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #10 of 13
Wow, seems like an easy DIY considering the crazy prices.

Apr 12, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #11 of 13
Do the stock pads have anything to do with the sound of the K1000? Right now I'm using it without any pads and my temples hurt when the bass kicks in. I'm thinking about modding it by sticking 4 slabs of sorborthane damping rubber where the stocks pads used to sit. Any thoughts?

Apr 12, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #12 of 13
a cheap solution is to just use foam weatherstripping as already suggested. You can buy a roll of it for just a few dollars at most any hardware/home improvement store. One side of it already has adhesive so all you have to do is cut to size, peel it and stick it.

Dec 28, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #13 of 13
Resurrecting an ancient thread, just in case this is useful to somebody...

My K1000's were suffering from the "flat pads" problem described below.  Spare parts for the K1000 are long gone by now, I suspect.  So I needed to find an alternative.

I tried a few things, but settled on some self-adhesive closed-cell vinyl foam strip that I bought form McMaster-Carr.  I got two thicknesses, as the pads on the rear are a bit thicker than the ones in the front, I guess to fit on the back of the head.  Part numbers are 8512K92 and 8512K96. You just need a sharp knife to cut a couple of rectangles of each the right size to fit the plastic holders.

This seems to work well.  I hadn't realized how important these pads are; with them "flat", the transducers do not sit parallel with your ears.  The sound suffers.

Since I had to buy 25 feet of this stuff to get the 3 inches I needed, I have a ton left.  If anybody with K1000's wants to try this, PM me with your address and I'll drop a couple of pieces in the mail.

Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back