Where to buy HD650s?
Feb 22, 2013 at 2:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

chunkfnk

100+ Head-Fier
Hey fellas, the thread title says it all, where is everyone buying their HD650s? Everyone is talking about getting them for below $350 and I am failing to find them for under $400. 
confused_face_2.gif

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #4 of 12
Yeah I don't know what happened on Amazon lately but it went from about $410 to $477! =/ if you happen to be in Hong Kong or China, there are legitimate dealers selling for like $340-370. But you're probably not in the area lol

Feb 22, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #5 of 12
They were like 340 over black friday, but that's going to be hard to find otherwise. Razordog with $100 off coupon will be around $400. In all honesty I would go to the for sale forum and get a used one, just keep in mind the really old ones have different drivers.

Feb 22, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #6 of 12
They are crazy expensive everywhere, you can wait for price drops or buy a cheaper alternative. 

Feb 22, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #7 of 12
Do you need the HD-650?  Have you tried the HD-600 at a $100 savings?  They have some different characteristics and after owning 2 pair of HD-600s and 1 pair of HD-650s, I personally chose the HD-600.  Granted, what was good for me will not be good for all.  But, I thought I'd just toss out the suggestion in the event someone might give it some consideration.

Feb 22, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:
Do you need the HD-650?  Have you tried the HD-600 at a $100 savings?  They have some different characteristics and after owning 2 pair of HD-600s and 1 pair of HD-650s, I personally chose the HD-600.  Granted, what was good for me will not be good for all.  But, I thought I'd just toss out the suggestion in the event someone might give it some consideration.

I kind of second this. The 600 is a very viable alternative to the 650 IMO. I have both but I would easily be able to live with either and not miss the other at all.

Technically, the 650 is superior but in practice, the comparison is more about difference than about superiority. Even then, the way they present music is ultimately very similar. To this day I still don't know which of the two I really prefer.

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #9 of 12
I
I kind of second this. The 600 is a very viable alternative to the 650 IMO. I have both but I would easily be able to live with either and not miss the other at all.

Technically, the 650 is superior but in practice, the comparison is more about difference than about superiority. Even then, the way they present music is ultimately very similar. To this day I still don't know which of the two I really prefer.

I'm not sure if I agree with this, personally I have tried both the 600 and 650(which I own) and to me there is quite a difference in the sound signature between the two. It's been often said that for most people you either like the 600 or 650, not both.

However in your case since your budget is pretty tight, I would have to recommend the 600's since they do go for a good $70~ or so less than the 650, and share the trait of the Sennheiser house sound and soundstage.

Bottom line is, if you want you could wait till a good used pair of 650's sub $400 shows up, or just get a HD600(which are, as I said, pretty good) for like $350~

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #10 of 12
Keep in mind that a lot of the posts with people saying that they got them for low prices are from before Sennheiser changed their pricing policy. They cost more now. There were some good deals like that around Black Friday, but that's a once in a year thing, and I think this year it was caused by a Sennheiser pricing error (leaked code).

Feb 23, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
I
I'm not sure if I agree with this, personally I have tried both the 600 and 650(which I own) and to me there is quite a difference in the sound signature between the two. It's been often said that for most people you either like the 600 or 650, not both.

However in your case since your budget is pretty tight, I would have to recommend the 600's since they do go for a good $70~ or so less than the 650, and share the trait of the Sennheiser house sound and soundstage.

Bottom line is, if you want you could wait till a good used pair of 650's sub $400 shows up, or just get a HD600(which are, as I said, pretty good) for like $350~

I'm responding to  your quote where you responded to another member's quote, as that member had responded to my comment.  If you read my post, where the HD-600 consideration was mentioned, I did indicate there were sonic differences, but I also clarified that these differences can come down to preference.  As to there being quite a difference, that may be true.  But each of us has our own scale on how we rate differences.  For example, I might rate the HD-600 and HD-650 awfully close in character because they have the Sennheiser HD-6## house sound.  Others will say that they found the HD-650 to be of a veiled character.  I didn't find that to be the case.

To me, what I did grow to understand with my listening and self-comparisons was that the HD-650 would tend to have a bit of purer truthful or "audiophile" approach to the sound.  To some people, this might be boring and they might like a little color added to their sound.  In that case, the HD-600 could be evaluated in a completely different manner.  The HD-600 to me had a sound signature that was more "fun" when it came to the music I enjoyed.  In my case, the 650 wasn't worth the extra $100 because I was content with the HD-600.  But, this will not apply to all people.  

Feb 23, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #12 of 12
Well I wouldn't mind waiting, but it's interesting you guys bring up the HD600s. Just how much of a difference are we talking about in terms of difference here? I read around the forum a lot before I made this thread and it seems like the HD650s have more bass and detail, but I'm wondering how exaggerated the differences are from the numerous threads on here.

Also, how do the refurbished models work from Sennheiser? Do they still come with the original box and have they been inspected and had the drivers replaced or are they just headphones that were returned and have been sealed back up and put back on the shelves with "special" refurbished branded boxes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back