Where to buy gold wire???
Jul 3, 2008 at 3:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

MilkyWay

100+ Head-Fier
I'm planning to send some gold wire along with my iPod for DIY-modification but I've had no luck finding a place that supply them. I'm specifically looking for 30 gauge teflon but only need about 2 foot.

If you have any let me know and we'll sort out a price.

Jul 3, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #2 of 17
Wire > Gold Wire > Fine Gold Round Wire

You could try these guys but you would have to buy your dialectric from elsewhere. They also do fine silver. I'm very tempted to buy some gold and build a very short set of interconnects to see how they fare.
Size wise not sure what gauge 0.5 mm is but probably heftier than you need.

Jul 3, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #3 of 17
Thats pretty cheap, auralthrillsaudio.com sells them for $12 per foot but minimum order requirement is 10 foot or else I would've bought them. 0.5 mm I think is 24 awg so it's a little thicker than what I need.

Jul 4, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by MilkyWay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats pretty cheap, auralthrillsaudio.com sells them for $12 per foot but minimum order requirement is 10 foot or else I would've bought them. 0.5 mm I think is 24 awg so it's a little thicker than what I need.

You could try to organize a group buy.

Jul 4, 2008 at 9:10 AM Post #8 of 17
Yeah what's the point of using gold? Isn't the goal to get as low of a resistance as possible? It's silver < copper < gold on the resistance scale.

Jul 4, 2008 at 12:50 PM Post #9 of 17
resistance is not the only consideration. I've seen speaker cables for sale costing thousands whether they are worth it or not is another thing. most binding posts, connectors etc are gold plated more to stop oxidization than for it's sonic qualities but i read somewhere that excluding resistance gold should have better sonic characteristics than either silver or copper.

here's a link to some interconnects

Vivid Audio - Interconnects - Gold

Jul 4, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #10 of 17
I have done some meticulous sound tests with different wires and I prefer gold , if it wasn't for the price I would use it for everything but since I will only utilise a foot for the iPod I decided that I'll use gold. If I can't find the right gold wire then I'll use silver from HGA.

Anyways I'm sure that there is already enough discussion around about the characteristics of different wires without us adding to it lol

Anyone else have any suggestions on where I can acquire this wire?

Jul 6, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #14 of 17
Be careful if/when you pick out your gold wire. Most wire isn't solid gold, but gold filled rod. When I was looking, that's mostly what I found. The last link (post #12) is the kind you'd want as it's 99.999% gold rod....not gold filled.

If you can, goto a PRIVATE jeweler, (not some garbage like Marks and Morgan) and they'll usually have some because they make custom jewelry. And private places usually sell at a cheaper rate...i.e you can bargain with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back