where to buy/demo headphones in tokyo,osaka,kyoto in japan
Jun 29, 2004 at 2:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

PYROTAK

100+ Head-Fier
whereeee?

i wanna demo me some ath-900s to see if they are worth it.

and what would be considered a good price for the ath-900s?

i know they are 200 in the US and can be found for as low as 180 somewhere.

but thats without shipping.

so if i can find it for around 16000-18000 yen i will be a happy camper.

they are the best closed cans for under 200 right??

(i need em for college) and people have told me that open is probably not good for college.

Jun 29, 2004 at 2:33 AM Post #2 of 15
just go to a large electronics store and you should find a wall of headphones to listen to.

the main branch of yodobashi camera in Shinjyuku (Tokyo) has a lot of headphones (I dunno... maybe like 50 to 100?) that you can try out, even the STAX (which are located in a different location than the dynamic ones... and you have to ask the store attendants to get a listen). other large stores should have a selection like it, though I have no clue since I haven't been to many others.

the sony building in Ginza (Tokyo) is also a good place to listen to headphones... or so I think. they of course only have sony cans, and I forget if they had lower models for you to try out, but if you ask the people there, you can get a listen with the MDR-R10 and the QUALIA 010 so that isn't bad at all.

Jun 29, 2004 at 2:59 AM Post #3 of 15
do i gotta bring my own source?

or do they have them all hooked up to something already?

(i was just thinking maybe i'll bring my h120 along for the ride)

Jun 29, 2004 at 3:04 AM Post #4 of 15
they have some sort of source hooked up... and multiple headphone amp / splitter things connected to it. at the very least, music will be playing out of the cans... though I don't know if I can say much for the quality of it.

maybe if you ask them, they can bring a nice source and headphone amp over for you to try them with.
smily_headphones1.gif

where are you going to? those are only suggestions I made, if you are not in the area I'm sure there are others that have at least the ATH-A900 on display... they are relatively inexpensive compared to some of the others and most stores should have them on display / demo.

Jun 29, 2004 at 3:07 AM Post #5 of 15
o.

well right now im in tanabe, wakayama prefecture. really close to the JR railroad. (its like 10 minutes away from shirahama)

im looking for electronics shops in the area but most of them only have sony products and i found this 1 small sony store.

i went to a reasonably sized electronics store and they only had cheap sony cd-280,300 cans and some d22s. all the stores have a crap load of those cheap buds and street styles, but i have yet to find any audiophile grade headphones...

and i have no idea how to find these stores so im basically aimlessly biking around looking for electronics stores
600smile.gif

any help would be greatly appreciated
biggrin.gif

next week im going to kyoto, and then osaka, and then taking a day trip to tokyo.

Jun 29, 2004 at 3:16 AM Post #6 of 15
no clue about stores in that area (I only know stuff about tokyo since that is where I used to live / visit often) but once you get to the large cities like osaka you should find a lot of large electronics stores to visit. there's also a QUALIA store in Osaka too.
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2004 at 3:33 AM Post #7 of 15
heheh
biggrin.gif
im definetly going to the qualia store.....now if only i can find an address.

its really funnny google.com in japan automatically redirects to google.co.jp, and i have no idea how to make it goto an english version.

maybe its google.co.us
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2004 at 3:37 AM Post #8 of 15
The beach of Shirahama is beautiful, isn't it?

There's a large Yodobashi Camera branch in Umeda, Osaka. But usually Yodobashi doesn't allow customer to play his own CD/player. (At least not for Japanese customers) And the place is very noisy, so consider the place where you can touch and feel them. They do have a quite large selection.

If you are going to spend some time in Tokyo, another place I recommend is DynamicAudio 5555 in Akihabara, Tokyo. It's a large but quiet audio shop and they also have pretty good selection of headphones, if you ask them they will let you play your CD, change amp setting and etc.

Jun 29, 2004 at 3:47 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROTAK
heheh
biggrin.gif
im definetly going to the qualia store.....now if only i can find an address.

http://www.sony.jp/products/Consumer...formation.html Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROTAK
its really funnny google.com in japan automatically redirects to google.co.jp, and i have no idea how to make it goto an english version.

maybe its google.co.us
biggrin.gif

www.google.com/ncr it is also a link on the japanese google page, logically called "Google.com in english"

Jun 29, 2004 at 3:47 AM Post #10 of 15
yeah wow shirahama has some awesome places that are really really nice and beautiful.

i went to the rock formations, and i went to the cliffs with the ancient cave naval base thing. I also when to that famous naturalists memorial which had an awesome view.

oh and i saw that island thats shaped like an double hump with a perfect circle cut out by the waves in the middle.

its some wild stuff. we don't have cool stuff like that in the US
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2004 at 3:55 AM Post #11 of 15
Jun 29, 2004 at 4:26 AM Post #12 of 15
The Yamagiwa in Akihabara has one of the larger selection of headphones in Tokyo - including AKG 1000's right on the wall!

Other audio shops with headphones are the Audio Union in Ochanomizu (I remember them having quite the Grado selection) and Bic Camera in Shinjuku (but Yamagiwa is probably superior to Bic in every single way).

Best,

-Jason

Jun 29, 2004 at 7:37 AM Post #13 of 15
In kyoto, the electronic stores are on teramachi, south of shijo (anyone should be able to give you directions there). From the intersection, walking south the first big electorinic store on your right after the 'fuji daimaru' department store has a pretty good selection of headphones that you can listen to. I never asked them to sample them with my source but I am sure it's possible. Get a young vendor, they are always more enthusiastic, especially with foreigners. You can also bargain a little - they have a 'fixed' discount you just have to ask for it. But there are better things to do in kyoto than sample headphones... and you will definitely find better selections in tokyo. PM me if you have any questions, and have fun in japan.

Jun 29, 2004 at 1:55 PM Post #14 of 15
sweet guys! thanks for the help!

well im going to the yodibashi camera in osaka i think.

and then i'll do some sightseeing in kyoto and then i'll goto akihabara in tokyo to from mp3 player and headphone shopping!

thansk for all the store names its a great help!

just so i can get an idea if i get to akihabara how much difficuluty will i have in finding these stores? are there many many electronics stores there?

Jun 29, 2004 at 2:20 PM Post #15 of 15
Yeah, many many electronic stores. They don't call Akihabara an "electric town" for nothing.
Just print out the map from the link above and take it with you. When you get there grab somebody and ask.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back