Where to buy DAD's?
Jun 22, 2001 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

aos

May one day solve the Mystery of the Whoosh
I wanted to ask this on HeadWize just when it collapsed, so I'm finally returning to sanity here...

Where can I buy Digital Audio Disks's (if that's even official name)?
Those are DVD's containing 24-bit / 96-kHz music. I am not talking about DVD-A!

I found only one place using Google - although I found more than 10 reviews of some disks, but no one bothers to tell you where you can buy them. Directly from Chesky, for example? Well, the reviewers and Chesky's product numbers do not match and I'm not about to spend $$$ to find out AFTER I buy it...

If you have DVD player that can output 24/96 on digital out and nice DAC that can handle it, it's worth a try. As far as I understand, neither DVD-A nor SACD allow digital out in more than 16/44.

Btw if either of new formats become popular, it could spell doom to many high-end manufacturers that make separate components. They will now have to make complete systems, with drive, DAC and decoder all bundled together.

Jun 22, 2001 at 5:46 PM Post #2 of 10
Actually, there are high-end SACD transports which output a DSD signal. dCS makes one to use with their new SACD-compatible Elgar and Delius DACs, and Accuphase makes at least one as well. Only the lower-end companies that make SACD players, like Sony and Philips, do not provide digital outputs that send DSD information. As Wadia, Mark Levinson, and other high-end companies start making SACD-compatible products, I think that we shall likely start seeing SACD transports and SACD players with DSD outputs.

Jun 22, 2001 at 6:15 PM Post #3 of 10
Ah, that's good news. I am still somewhat sceptical since the reason for this was not technical, but political - i.e. big recording companies (one of them is of course Sony) didn't want it.

The problem now is that making your own SACD DAC will not be easy - most likely there will be a license to pay, according to some people something like $15,000 US, to even get a chip. I don't think any DIY'er will pay that much. And DIY is the only way for majority to have something equal to Levinston/Wadia for less (not much less though, it still costs thousands).

Of course, there's always a workaround - buy a cheap consumer device (once they're available) and rip out the chip
tongue.gif

Jun 23, 2001 at 1:52 AM Post #5 of 10
A few actually do. Most just buy the Assemblage and AN kits but there are a few out there that DIY dacs. There really isn't that much to them with the silicon out today.

-CAL

Jun 23, 2001 at 2:36 AM Post #6 of 10
I have two DACs myself and just ordered a board and some parts for the third. It's really not that hard to make a simple one (SDS labs for example is quite easy), but there's no money savings to speak of unless you go against the very best ones.

However now I need to buy some DAD to see how well it works in 24/96. Hopefully someone knows a cheap place...

Jun 27, 2001 at 2:57 PM Post #8 of 10
cheap-cds.com has some (Blue Train, for example)

Sep 11, 2003 at 11:17 PM Post #10 of 10
ALso try Classic Records at www.classicrecords.com for DADs. Actually most of the newer DVD players will allow 24/96 on the digital output (this used to NOT be the case) and this will also work for many DVD-A discs as well, where often there is a 24/96 stereo only track (most DVD-As). There will be an option in your DVD players setup menu that will allow the outputs to NOT be downconverted to 48k if your player has the capability to output 24/96. What the new DVD-A players WON'T allow is 24/192 (only a handful of discs with this anyway) or 6ch 24/96 digital outs.

I used to work for a company that made pretty decent money converting older DVD players to output 24/96 digital -- it's actually possible to modify a lot of the new DVD_A players to output 6 ch 24/96 (with three seperate stereo SPDIF streams), but the 24/192 is still a toughie (a lot of times not even available on the PCB in the DVD player), not to mention the lack of line drivers capable of transmitting it (I think crystal has a new one now, though....).

I believe all the external DSD connections for high-end SACD players are proprietary -- I don't believe a real standard has been reached on that for consumer level stuff (somebody correct me if I'm wrong -- I'd love to know).

As for a DSD DAC, why not a simple LPF? I think this is basically what Sony does anyway...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back