where to buy/audition the silverline audio minuets?
Jun 14, 2008 at 8:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mochimon

100+ Head-Fier
i have been going over the silverline website for a few hours now, and haven't found any dealer location page or anything. does anyone know of an online dealer selling these speakers? or better yet, a place in washington where i can audition them?

thanks guys

Jun 14, 2008 at 11:16 AM Post #2 of 9
You can check the Silverline Audio website for dealers, ifthey list them.

Otherwise, there's a gent on Audiogon who sells them, user Yoavna. He's based in FL I believe. Sells them for a decent price (USED to be $399, now $499; still $100 less than list).

I haven't heard them, but I own the Preludes, and used to own the SR-12's. Very good speakers, easy to drive.....

Jun 14, 2008 at 12:12 PM Post #3 of 9
Elt 525's ROCK! - AV123.com Forum

AV123.com - ELT525M Mini Monitor

wink.gif

Jun 17, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #5 of 9
I hope/plan to get the ELT525's as well, to "shoot out" for desktop speakers with a pair of speakers I just boguht off eBay.

The seller was "fritzspeakers," a VERY nice gent who builds his own and usually sells on Audiogon. Some beautiful woodworkk, and he does single-driver as well as multi-driver designs.

Anyway, he bought some excess inventory, including several speakers from a company called Unisound. They had a 6.5" and 5" based speakers, both using a Vifa soft dome tweeter and a Kevlar woofer with copper phase plug (Fritz said they were similar to Focal drivers he used to use, @ $100 each wholesale). He said he looke dto mod them, but held off because they were very good as is.

Anyway....I bought a pair of 5" Uni Mini's from Fritz, hope to get them early next week. They have the 5" driver going full range, with the tweeter crossed by a cap or so. Sounds very promising. Fritz brought them around to friends and drove them nicely with various equipment, tubed and SS.

I'm going to use them for a while, and will hopefully grab the ELT 525's to compare. NuForce Icon to start, then a Tweak City Audio "Gizmo" when they become available. This hobby is a ton of fun at the lower prices....

EDIT: the 6.5" I believe are on the Unisound website, the AU162's; and the AU265S's look like the 5"-driver I got. The pair I bought looks to be a darker cherry.

Jun 17, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #6 of 9
sounds very interesting. have you looked at the audiomagus amps? i was planning on picking up a T-Rex DAC/Amp combo. i think i will hold off on this and the speakers until after you do your shootout.
thanks for all the info skullguise, keep me posted.

Jun 17, 2008 at 1:06 PM Post #7 of 9
Yeah, I am interested too. I am certain they will be a close match. Cool thing about av123 is they usually have easy to install upgrades.
However, Fritz is using VERY nice speakers. Depends on the internal bracing, damping, wiring etc. I suppose he could build to suit?

Anyway, I said F&*#! it and bought some 550 MKII Floor standers with the ebony risers. As soon as I finish with the rest of the setup and cover up the FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGLY fake wood veneer wall with some tasty NASA 12' posters of planets, galaxies, etc(my friend has a commercial high res banner printer) and collecting most of my gear. I still need subs for the 550s but just for 40hz and below. They are REALLY solid speakers. I want more of course but cannot possibly afford it until I get a job which pays more than the bills lol. Takes me months to get $300 together. I should have been a pimp.

Jun 24, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #8 of 9
OK, I got the Unisounds (it IS the AU265S model) Saturday, have only been able to get ~10 hours on them.

VERY promising. Punchy and dyanmic, they benefit from placement (near room boundaries, or in my case, on top of a small tower speaker! The resonance of the tower speaker adds a good bit of dyanmics to the bass, without it being too flabby).

Apparently, the 5" driver is full range, with the Vifa tweeter crossover being minimal (cap?) [DUH! Already posted this abive!]. Pretty seemless integration IMO. Mids very nice, maybe a tiny bit of warmth on female vox - this could be from them sitting on other speakers, too.

Right now, there's some extra sparkle in the highs - not a sibilance, and not artifical sounding. I expect this will ameliorate with burn-in.

I also ordered the ELT-525's, due in this Thursday. Hope to get some time to do an initial comparison this weekend. We'll see if the wife let's me
tongue.gif

If you look up member fritzspeaks on Audiogon, you can ping him and tell him I (Todd from Massachusetts) sent you. He still has some of the 5" in stock, and also the 6.5" driver model, too (AU162 I think). The larger model uses a regular crossover, but he was very impressed with the quality of parts and drivers, so instead of tweaking them, he kept them as-is. His words (paraphrased), but he seems very honest and just LOVES this hobby.

EDIT: BTW, I have owned 4 Tripath amps int he past, and heard a couple more. I had SI T-Amp v1, Trends 10.1, Winsome Mouse, and Panasonic XR-25. I have also owned a Sharp 1-bit digital system, and now own a NuForce Icon. All have been great for the price, with my favorites being the Mouse and Trends. I haven't owned or heard the KingRex, but have read very good things about it, especially with the separate PS. If it carries the same Tripath signature of sound I've heard from others, it couldmate very well with the Uni's. The AU265S's are a 4-ohm load, though; the AU162's are 8 ohm.

Anyway, some pics of the AU265S's (from Fritz):

uni-1.jpg

uni-2.jpg

uni-3.jpg

uni-4.jpg

Jun 24, 2008 at 8:34 AM Post #9 of 9
wow, thank you skullguise. i am drooling. unfortunately i ran into a mercedes benz last week and am going to have to use my speaker money to fix it. i am crying. soon though. soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back