Where to buy 3.5mm jacks and speaker cable in UK?
May 2, 2008 at 7:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Lock

Head-Fier
I've been searching endlessly for decent 3.5mm mini jack and 1/4 mono jacks with no luck. Maplin sell some neutrik plugs but the 3.5mm jacks they have (not neutrik) seem tiny and won't house any reasonable size cable (it will need to fit 4 as I will need 2 ground).

Can anyone advise where to buy parts in uk, or a good one stop shop online. My shopping list is below

>3.5mm jack

>XLR or 1/4 inch mono plug x2

>oxide free copper or silver cable... open to suggestions. 4 lines with a finished cable lenght of 10ft. (40ft total)
Would 22 awg be a suitable size? it is for line level signal from pre amp to active speakers.

>Heat shrink sleeve

>nylon flexible cover--- techflex??

I have seen the Pailac 3.5 jacks that look good, where could I get something similar to this?

I have searched this forum but only found links to US and switchcraft o neutrik plugs. I feel there must be some more fancy compoents out there...

thanks for the help
Lock

May 3, 2008 at 5:32 AM Post #2 of 9
You'll get most things from Electronic components distributor. Electronic equipment and electrical components from Rapid

Cable is more difficult as they mostly sell it on 100m reels ....
rolleyes.gif

I make all my own cables with silver-plated copper wire from Welcome to wires.co.uk

May 3, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #3 of 9
You can use Canford. They stock a lot of stuff, but order in bulk cos postage is a little steep.

May 3, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #4 of 9
May 3, 2008 at 6:18 AM Post #5 of 9
I usually use the 0.5mm, but I'd recommend getting their sample pack and trying different ones.

I use 2:1 heatshrink from Rapid, usually clear, so I get a nice, pearly look to them
biggrin.gif

I've also used the gold plated pure silver wire, which made excellent I/C's
smily_headphones1.gif

May 3, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by akione /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I usually use the 0.5mm, but I'd recommend getting their sample pack and trying different ones.

I use 2:1 heatshrink from Rapid, usually clear, so I get a nice, pearly look to them
biggrin.gif

I've also used the gold plated pure silver wire, which made excellent I/C's
smily_headphones1.gif

cheers for the advice and links, really helpful.

Akione, how exactly do you make up the cables from the wire and heatshrink?

Do you use one strand inside one tube of heat shrink for each pole? Or do you use multiple strands twisted together for each pole?

I think I will go this route so want as much info as poss before I order.

I'm thinking I will get clear heat shrink, 2.1 use 3 strands of .4 or .3mm silver plate copper for each 'wire' inside the heat shrink. Then brade 2 of these for each speaker (with a 3rd empty). It will end up being 3.5mm stereo jack to 2x 6.35mm mono jack.. will be approx 10ft total... could be a lot of brading!!. I will cover in the expanding sleave like techflex.

thoughts would be helpful, cheers

May 3, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #7 of 9
I usually just do twisted pairs, so it's single strands heatshrinked and twisted together.

I normally put another layer of heatshrink over the outside.

I've not done any multi-strand cables, but I don't see why you'd have any problems.

I'd go for something thinish - maybe .2mm and as many strands as you think you need depending on application.

Have Fun
wink.gif

May 3, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by akione /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I usually just do twisted pairs, so it's single strands heatshrinked and twisted together.

I normally put another layer of heatshrink over the outside.

I've not done any multi-strand cables, but I don't see why you'd have any problems.

I'd go for something thinish - maybe .2mm and as many strands as you think you need depending on application.

Have Fun
wink.gif

It's going to be for a line level lead from a pre-amp/headphone amp into some active speakers, so won't need to big guage like speaker cable. how many strands of .2 would be sufficient (per pole) for this type of cable I was thinking 3 strands of .4 so that would be 6 strands per speaker, but maybe this is far too few??? I want to make sure I buy enough...

cheers for your advice..

May 4, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's going to be for a line level lead from a pre-amp/headphone amp into some active speakers, so won't need to big guage like speaker cable. how many strands of .2 would be sufficient (per pole) for this type of cable I was thinking 3 strands of .4 so that would be 6 strands per speaker, but maybe this is far too few??? I want to make sure I buy enough...

cheers for your advice..

I'd have thought 2 or 3 @ 0.4 would be ample for line level........

I normally use 1 @ 0.5 (+ 1 for ground) , although mine are quite short.
wink.gif

For a longer length, I'd probably try 2 @ 0.5 or 0.6, or some similar X-section.

It's worth a bit of experimentation, though, as longer cables can be very difficult to thread in the sleeve,

especially small x-sections of soft wire
wink.gif
A dusting of Talc can help a lot.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Why not get the Sample pack of Silver wire for £5 and try it ? ..... Oh, and Heatshrink is much cheaper by the 25m reel.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back