Where the Woo Clan at? WooAudio 3 owners...
Oct 13, 2005 at 4:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Stephen Murphy

100+ Head-Fier
Like many folks lurking here, I am looking for a decent headphone amp. I don't really want to spend $800 or $1K to join the SinglePower gang, but the $470 WooAudio 3 looks pretty reasonable and inviting. I have searched the archives and found very few posts from actual owners. If you own one of these, let's hear from you. How do you like it? Is it all you hoped it would be? Give us some thoughts on this unit!
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2005 at 4:28 AM Post #2 of 11
Actually, I think all the WooAudio 3 members quit posting here. Something about how they were "satisfied with their music and gear and didn't want to hang around here anymore", or whatever that means.

Do a search, those amps get a lot of praise, especially those from the Sennheiser camp.

Oct 13, 2005 at 3:04 PM Post #3 of 11
I've been thinking about this amp really hard. The postings I have read have all been very positive. On top of the reviews, it is very cool looking.

If I pull the trigger, I'll be pairing it with the Senn HD 595's.

One question since I have never owned a headphone amplifier. My audio setup is currently a Denon AVR-3805 receiver and the Denon DVD-2910 universal disc player. Should I use the unused 2 channel audio out on the dvd player or is there some way that I should connect it to the receiver?

Oct 13, 2005 at 7:38 PM Post #4 of 11
mize - yes you'll like it compared to your amp, I've had mine for about 6 months now and can't rate it highly enough, not the smallest daintiest thing out there. But IMO looks gorgoues and paired with senn 650 it really puts so much detail and life into music. can't say I'll be trading in in the near future

Oct 13, 2005 at 8:48 PM Post #5 of 11
I've really enjoyed mine with my RS-1s. Unfortunately I've had so many car repairs I may have to sell it off. Already sold 2 amps off. Hoping after this weekend it won't be 3...
frown.gif

Oct 14, 2005 at 2:48 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman
I've really enjoyed mine with my RS-1s. Unfortunately I've had so many car repairs I may have to sell it off. Already sold 2 amps off. Hoping after this weekend it won't be 3...
frown.gif

Sorry dude. It really sucks when you have to liquidate, especially for something as boring as car repairs. I hope all goes well for you and you can keep your Woo.

Oct 14, 2005 at 1:19 PM Post #7 of 11
I am totally pleased with my Woo3 and couldn't be happier.

It replaced a Amity HPA2 SS amp and the improvements over my decent SS were big.

The Woo3 now powers my Sennheiser HD600 and my 600 ohm Beyerdynamic DT990. Especially my DT990 benifited from the Woo3. It made everything so more realistic sounding than before.

Oct 14, 2005 at 1:43 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Murphy
Sorry dude. It really sucks when you have to liquidate, especially for something as boring as car repairs. I hope all goes well for you and you can keep your Woo.

Already gave up a Raptor and an XP-7...
frown.gif

Oct 21, 2005 at 1:13 PM Post #10 of 11
I have been looking at this amp as well because the prise is so good, I can not make up my mind between an m3 solidstate of coarse, or one of the singlepowers ppx3 etc. but the singlepower price hurts me as a college student as they start at like $600 or so, I will be powering SA5000s but am wanting a amp that will be very dynamic as in headphone brand friendly. I want to do it right the first time and not waste money on the intro cheapies. If doing it right means spending $600 I will just have to save longer. I am leaning towards the m3 as it is upgradeable if needed and the price is good but tube amps are pretty apealing, I have not heard either one to know but it seems like the most people end up with tubes at some point. It seems though that quite a few guys with top notch equipment still use a variation of the m3. How does the Woo compare to say a ppx3, what would you guys do in my situation? I am using a audigy 2 zs as of now for my source but will be getting a dac after an amp, well a dac or a squeezebox. The input is apreciated.

Oct 21, 2005 at 11:49 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hey_Its_Cole
I have been looking at this amp as well because the prise is so good, I can not make up my mind between an m3 solidstate of coarse, or one of the singlepowers ppx3 etc. but the singlepower price hurts me as a college student as they start at like $600 or so, I will be powering SA5000s but am wanting a amp that will be very dynamic as in headphone brand friendly. I want to do it right the first time and not waste money on the intro cheapies. If doing it right means spending $600 I will just have to save longer. I am leaning towards the m3 as it is upgradeable if needed and the price is good but tube amps are pretty apealing, I have not heard either one to know but it seems like the most people end up with tubes at some point. It seems though that quite a few guys with top notch equipment still use a variation of the m3. How does the Woo compare to say a ppx3, what would you guys do in my situation? I am using a audigy 2 zs as of now for my source but will be getting a dac after an amp, well a dac or a squeezebox. The input is apreciated.

I owned a PPX and I much prefer my Woo.
With some exceptions most tubed headphone amps don't come from the factory with very good tubes in them, so be aware that you'll probably have to do some tube rolling in order to get the sound you're after, and the good NOS tubes aren't cheap these days, so you'll want to factor in NOS tube costs to the purchase price of your amp.
If it were me and I were on a budget I would either buy used, or I would get something solid state like an SR-71 to hold me over until I could afford to get top-notched tube equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back