Where should I go in Hong Kong?
Oct 26, 2002 at 10:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

antness

Member of the Trade: HeadAmp
I'm going to Hong Kong for a week to 10 days in December. I'm assuming there's a lot of cool shops where I can get neat DIY parts that are expensive or hard to find in the U.S. I'm looking mainly for some nice aluminum chassis, capacitors, pots, basically any DIY parts that are typically expensive. Anyone who lives there or has visited have any recommendations as to where I should visit?

Oct 29, 2002 at 10:51 AM Post #2 of 4
It seems you are interested to find audio parts, then Ap Liu Street in Shumshupo district is the place you must not miss. You will also able to find some shops selling China/HK made audio equipment, ASL included.

Joe Bloggs has posted a few picture there in his thresd in member's lounge.

Enjoy your trip. Cheers.
wink.gif

Oct 31, 2002 at 12:47 PM Post #3 of 4
check out this page:
http://hktubeaudio.homestead.com/

click on the main menu, then the page for tube shops in HK. this lists popular DIY shops in HK and it is pretty comprehensive.

Ap Liu St is definitely a must, but alot of the shops/stalls there sell parts for "industrial" use and may not be good for audio. there are some audio/tube shops, but i am not sure if the prices are that much better than the US. all the stuff is imported from Japan/US/Europe anyway.

good luck and have fun!

Nov 1, 2002 at 10:35 PM Post #4 of 4
Are there similar stores in Beijing - any online? My father's been over there for a few months helping out a start-up company and just offered to look for "electronic gauges or components" (he might've meant gadgets... or both) for me. I'd have to give him specific part names/descriptions since he probably wouldn't understand "cheap stepped attenuator" or know which to buy if he found several.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back