Where should I be adjusting volume?
Nov 25, 2004 at 5:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

skitlets

500+ Head-Fier
My setup is as follows: Foobar -> Emu 1212m -10db minimum with asio strip and a send within it to the I/O card -> headphone amp -> ms-1.

The gain in my headphone amp is too high to support -10db from the EMU at a comofortable listening level, but with a send to the I/O card, I am unable to change any settings through patchmix since it bypasses the mixer. As a result, I use Foobar's volume control to about -11 to -13db and leave my amp at a volume as low as possible while still maintaining a channel balance (at really low levels, it tends to the right). Any other suggestions? The friend who built the amp for me suggested he can place a resistor within the amp to make its output softer so that I can avoid using Foobar's volume control or EMU's mixer. I think this would be as clean a signal as possible, but for the immediate future, which way should I be lowering the volume?

Nov 25, 2004 at 11:34 AM Post #2 of 4
If I understand you correctly, your saying -10dB output is still too hot for your amp? If that's the case, you can probably insert a "trim pot" on your output channel and adjust the gain from there. Take the volumn control out of Foobar and just use your amp to control volumn normally. Sry if I misunderstood you.

Nov 25, 2004 at 3:14 PM Post #3 of 4
in foobar 2000, the volume is set to -8.0db and added a leveling amp in patchmix then whenever i need to adjust the volume i adjust it on my amp.

Nov 25, 2004 at 7:41 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the trim-pot idea! It seems to be working, but I'll listen closely later to see if there are any negative effects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back