Where should bass and treble be set
May 31, 2002 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Mr.T

New Head-Fier
Where do you folks keep your bass and treble and your receiver when using headphones .... If Bass goes from 0-10 and treble 0-10... Does leaving it on 5 and 5 seem logical... What reason would there be to have it different... Would 10 and 10 be hard on the headphones or would they take it in the long run ?

THanks

May 31, 2002 at 2:20 AM Post #2 of 6
keep it in the middle, where no change is being made, unless some flaw in the headphone requires that you make an adjustment.

May 31, 2002 at 8:07 AM Post #3 of 6
For computer use,

i have the bass one level 'before' the middle.

and treble is one level 'ahead' of middle.

And keeping it in the middle means no change? why is that?

May 31, 2002 at 9:25 AM Post #4 of 6
Instead of "0 to 10" use "-5 to +5", the center is then "0". That's why the nobs are set that way, the center position is the flat, unmodified setting. As for why you wouldn't want to adjust it, distortion probably. Same reason we don't recommend using megabass, it muddies the sound and you lose detail.

(HBZ)

May 31, 2002 at 12:32 PM Post #5 of 6
On my computer it sounds most natural, comparing the mp3s I ripped off of my CDs to the CD player, to have treble and bass at 1/3 of their overall total possible values.

May 31, 2002 at 3:33 PM Post #6 of 6
While i was reading the first mesage, I was kinda puzzled by the range of 0-10. Usually most equipment have 0 in the middle with negative numbers on one side and positive numbers on the other side, usually each side with the same range around 0.

I wouldn't just leave at 0. Fiddle with them and leave them where you like them. Cheaper equipment usually have obvious inadequacies which can be slightly compensated with equilizers. Many audiophiles believe in buying expensive equipment and leave the equilizer more or less flat unless they have to compensate for bad acoustics. I guess that is why many expensive preamps in the market today have very few adjustment knobs. Personally, I am just too lazy to figure out how to adjust the equilizer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back