where oh where can i get a cdp with a silent transport for under $500?
Nov 6, 2004 at 5:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

will0957

Head-Fier
I've got lots of cheap sources.. Sony CDP-311, Pioneer PD-F958, Pioneer DV-656A, and most recently a Toshiba 4960. The Toshiba has got the loudest of them all by far.

I've given up on budget sources, and I'm getting ready to shell out a little bit of coin to get a nicer deck. I listen to my music quietly a lot, and I -despise- hearing the disc spinning louder than the music itself.

I've been doing a lot of searches through old posts, googling, etc.. but I can't seem to find much information on this subject...

I listen to a lot of different kinds of music... everything from Billie Holiday to Miles Davis.. and Beck to the Smashing Pumpkins.. I mostly listen to quieter acoustic music and classical piano, and mellow jazz.

So. What are you recommendations for players that are -quiet- but still have excellent sound?

Nov 6, 2004 at 6:54 AM Post #2 of 8
I used to have the AMC CD8, which had a very loud transport noise. You could hear it spinning - especially on higher tracks - 5 feet away. My newer Marantz 5400 is pretty quiet. You might want to check it out at a dealer to see if it suits you.

Other than that, the NADs are pretty quiet from what I could discern at the dealers (I also kept an eye out for transport noise when I was shopping for a new player).

Nov 6, 2004 at 7:40 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by will0957
I've given up on budget sources, and I'm getting ready to shell out a little bit of coin to get a nicer deck. I listen to my music quietly a lot, and I -despise- hearing the disc spinning louder than the music itself.

So. What are you recommendations for players that are -quiet- but still have excellent sound?

This is one of my bugbears as well. I have my CDP about 18" from where I sit and a noisy transport really does intrude especially on classical music. I have a Rotel RCD-02 which used to be very noisy until I returned to Rotel , who were kind enough to fix it for free(out of warranty), now it makes a very slight clicking that is not noticeable from a few feet away and inaudible if I wear cans.

My Rotel RCD-975 although quieter makes a slight sound as the disc spins (most notceable on the first track or 2) , I specifically asked the seller about noise from the transport before I bought it and he said he could not hear any noise at all with his ear next to the player - but again with headphones on or from a few feet away it does not intrude. The quietest CDP I had was a vintage Rotel RCD855 - this was utterly silent to my ears.

I would say though that you are likely to find a big effect of sample variation. You could listen to a player at your local hifi shop (if you could persuade them to turn off all other sources of noise) but unless you buy the one you listen to you cannot guarantee that the one you take home will "sound" the same.

I think you will find it *very* difficult to get a "silent" transport. A hifi shop I spoke to (Audio Advisor) told me that the Cambridge Audio Azur 640C was silent, but I remain unconvinced.

Good luck and if you do find a "silent" transport please let us know.

Nov 6, 2004 at 10:45 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMS
The $150 Sony SCD-CE595 is dead silent. Quieter than everything else I've tried, by far. Not even transformer hum.

Yeah, I had one for a short time.. then returned it to get a universal cd/dvda/sacd player (my receiver only has 1 set of 6-channel analog inputs).

The CE595 is nice, but it has its quirks (for the price it's great of course though). It's really loud when opening/closing the tray, no direct track access, etc..

I guess I'm just looking for a 1-disc redbook player that is quiet but sounds really good.

Nov 7, 2004 at 1:54 AM Post #6 of 8
The Sony DVP-NS725 is dead silent in operation. Yes, it's a DVD/CD player, but it has been mentioned as an excellent budget CD player.

Then came the Toshiba players....

But nonetheless, the Sony 725 sounds good and totally silent when used.

Nov 8, 2004 at 9:59 AM Post #7 of 8
If sound of the transport is the only thing bugging you, you could dynamat your toshiba 4960. Mine is very quiet now and if you put your hand on the top you can't feel it spinning. Unfortunately it's not dead silent and I ran out of dynamat. I used about 2 square feet, and I have another two square feet. I'm quite confident it'll be silent by the time I'm done with it
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2004 at 7:25 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Natsuiro
If sound of the transport is the only thing bugging you, you could dynamat your toshiba 4960. Mine is very quiet now and if you put your hand on the top you can't feel it spinning. Unfortunately it's not dead silent and I ran out of dynamat. I used about 2 square feet, and I have another two square feet. I'm quite confident it'll be silent by the time I'm done with it
smily_headphones1.gif

I think mine is louder than they typically would be... Besides the noise factor, I really don't like the Toshiba. Lots of little things that bug me.. like if you want to pause, play, stop, or start, you have to hold down that particular button for a good 2 seconds before it actually does it. It takes 2-3 seconds to skip tracks, so when you want to quickly go through a bunch of tracks you have to remember how many times you pressed the skip forward button because the deck itself is soooo unbelievably slow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back