Where is the quality of Sony V6?
Nov 1, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #5 of 15
So you dig up your father's V6's which were first made in 1985.  There's nothing left of the earpads but foam, try something else not made for them, and yet - you admit that they have "equal soundstage," "a bit more balance," and "a tad more detail in the highs" than a 21st Century headphone that sells for about 3 times as much as a V6.

What am I missing here?
wink.gif

Nov 1, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #6 of 15
I think you missing that this headphone is (as the actual reviewers say) one of the best in sound quality in its price range and should be better more than a bit than the XB700.
I think earpads change only frequency response, not an amount of detail and soundstage.

Nov 1, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #8 of 15
  I think you missing that this headphone is (as the actual reviewers say) one of the best in sound quality in its price range and should be better more than a bit than the XB700.
I think earpads change only frequency response, not an amount of detail and soundstage.

Oh yeah - I missed that you said the V6 was less muddy than the XB700.

Did we talk about the price difference - or "in its price range" doesn't have any meaning for you?

Edit: I'm sorry, I'm usually more helpful in this section, but your posts are cr*p.  What do you want, a 1985 headphone that sells for $70-$80 and beats the pants off of a modern $500 headphone?  There are still very few closed headphones that are as robust and stable as the V6.  It continues to be the choice of many recording studios, radio and TV broadcast studios.  If that doesn't meet your standards for an $80, 25-year-old headphone design, then you will never be happy.

Nov 1, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #9 of 15
OK, let me try to be a little more helpful.  Your supposition that headphone pads have little to do with the sound quality is completely wrong.  Depending on the headphone, they may be as much 50%.  For instance, Grados can completely change their sound signature depending on the type of Grado cusion used.  Mad Dogs, Thunderpants, etc., would be nothing if they used the "wrinkled" pads the TR50 first came with, rather than the later smooth pads.

Buy a pair of Beyerdynamic DT250 velour ear pads (~$20).  Put them on the V6's and see what they sound like then.  Just a suggestion.
wink.gif

Nov 1, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #12 of 15
Trunks, I think pads can change detail by introducing or reducing non-linear distortion which is unrelated to FR. This might be due to more or less air to drive, material between the driver and ear, and seal itself.

Pads can change soundstage perception by affecting the balance at high-mids and treble frequency response. I feel soundstage and FR are not uncorrelated. Headphones in general however are not best at reproducing soundstage accurately given abrupt channel separation vs say speakers.

Nov 1, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #13 of 15
  Those pads don't change the sound much.  It basically just provides a better seal and more powerful bass.  I think this is a loss cause
redface.gif

... and yet you don't think that changes the sound?  Seems a bit contradictory ("better seal and more powerful bass").

Yeah, I agree this thread is a lost cause, but the OP caused it by resurrecting an almost 30-year old headphone design with shot pads and complaining why it wasn't better (not sure he really nailed that with his description) than a modern headphone costing several times more.

The V6 is still a sterling headphone - in its proper context.  The OP lost the context at the outset.

Nov 2, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #14 of 15
tomb: Wait, what?
Sony xb700 doesn't cost $500, but $80, so about a same cost as the V6. Maybe thats why we're misunderstood here.
So, to sum up what I don't get, V6 should be better than xb700 even from portable players, and it is known it benefits from even high-end amps, BUT doesn't actually sound any better with the DAC and from good amplifier.

If it is really that ear pads have impact on clarity and not just frequency response, it's been probably solved.
I dont want to buy earpads for them because its too damn expensive here, and I'm still not sure if they play as
their best..

Nov 2, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #15 of 15
  OK, let me try to be a little more helpful.  Your supposition that headphone pads have little to do with the sound quality is completely wrong.  Depending on the headphone, they may be as much 50%.  For instance, Grados can completely change their sound signature depending on the type of Grado cusion used.  Mad Dogs, Thunderpants, etc., would be nothing if they used the "wrinkled" pads the TR50 first came with, rather than the later smooth pads.

Yeah, but sound signature is FR. I really don't think different material can make the sound muddy, while I actually achieved the sound balance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back