Where is Singlepower? Where is Mikhail?
Oct 6, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #1,921 of 1,964
Exhausted in what way?  Physically or with his headphones business?

@ PATB,

I know exactly what you mean.  Despite the build quality, the SDS-XLR is still pretty much at top of my dynamic amplifier game. However, it isn't amp for Orthodynamic however.

Physically, coming to the meets was draining Ray's energy. He'd come to high altitude and lose his appetite so that the idea of drinking or eating before dinner-time would make him even more ill. I'd have to push him to drink and eat, but the longer he went without either the less appetite he had. I was afraid it would kill him at times.

He's got great products that he can rest his laurels on, and I think others have been playing catch up for years vs his best portable amps. He may feel the same way and doesn't feel the need to release new tech every year?

Oct 6, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #1,922 of 1,964
Physically, coming to the meets was draining Ray's energy. He'd come to high altitude and lose his appetite so that the idea of drinking or eating before dinner-time would make him even more ill. I'd have to push him to drink and eat, but the longer he went without either the less appetite he had. I was afraid it would kill him at times.

He's got great products that he can rest his laurels on, and I think others have been playing catch up for years vs his best portable amps. He may feel the same way and doesn't feel the need to release new tech every year?

That maybe true two or three years ago.  The amp such as the Sony PHA-3 or iDSD micro sure is better than any or his portable/DAC unit or even Justin's Pico lines.  Plus several DAPs do feature a very good headphone out that a dedicated portable amps are no longer necessary especially if you just want to drive CIEMs.

Oct 6, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #1,923 of 1,964
Very true. Modern times have created amps and dacs that far exceed what Ray and Justin sold 4 years ago.

Ray and I used to be very close, but in 2011 he started to strange out, and our friendship grew strained. I see on Facebook, that he is very much into his 1/2 million dollar $ports cars, and his life has taken new turns.

Speaking of Mikhail...Lookey here what I found from my 2006 National Meet (I really miss my R10):

Dec 16, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #1,925 of 1,964
ungh... That person stole my Maestrobator

Dec 20, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #1,926 of 1,964
Remember my Toaster-Style Supra?

We should have known then 
redface.gif

Dec 21, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #1,927 of 1,964
  Remember my Toaster-Style Supra?

We should have known then 
redface.gif

That amp is likely one of the most reliable amp he built.  It should still competes with most of TOTL amps of today.  Shame really.  He could have dominated the headphone amps market like no one else.  Yes, he screwed many of us over...but he screwed himself of million of dollars by not being business savvy enough.  Woo Audio was able to capitalize on his mistake and become a premier tube headamp brand.

Dec 21, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #1,928 of 1,964
My SDS-XLR is still going strong 10 years later.  Its companion Meridian G08 already went to Meridian for service, but the SDS-XLR just needs the occasional tube replacement.  I have since added a KGSSHV/Stax SR-009 rig, but I still mainly use the SDS-XLR, now with the HD800 (and occasionally with the LCD-2F). 

Dec 21, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #1,932 of 1,964
  ...  Its companion Meridian G08 already went to Meridian for service, but the SDS-XLR just needs the occasional tube replacement... 

If you don't mind me asking?…. What went wrong with your G08?

Mine is having a hard time seeing the CDs, and I'm wondering if I should try and open her up, and blow out the read head?

Dec 21, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #1,933 of 1,964

If you don't mind me asking?…. What went wrong with your G08?

Mine is having a hard time seeing the CDs, and I'm wondering if I should try and open her up, and blow out the read head?

It just stopped playing music (no analog outputs).  I sent it to Marc Koval (The Repair Shop) and he diagnosed a bad DSP board.  Problem is, the G08 is over 10 years old, design-wise, so even Meridian UK does not have a replacement DSP board.  Marc was able to get a G08.2 as trade-in for an 808, and he installed that unit's DSP board in mine.  So my G08 is now a G08.2, DSP-wise anyways
biggrin.gif
.  My transport still works fine. 

PM me if you need Marc's contact info.  Marc used to work at Meridian USA and is a highly regarded Meridian expert (Todd the Vinyl Junkie knows him). 

Dec 21, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #1,934 of 1,964
Mikhail is selling tubes on EBay, FYI.

I owned one of his MPX3 models.  I disabled the high power switch and put bleeder resistors on the PS Caps.  I never had a problem with this amp.  It sounded just lovely with 5965 driver and 6SN7GT output tubes.  I subsequently bought DNA Stratus, which I still have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back