Where is Singlepower? Where is Mikhail?
Jan 29, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #1,217 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe so. There is a statement on the product page to that effect here along with a link to the original schematic.

Thanks Beefy. I have a GES also. Actually the first model that came out after the prototype. I don't recall it saying on Jack's website that it was a KG design when I bought mine, but someone told me it was during a NYC meet. So, now it is confirmed. I never opened mine up so it was a pleasant surprise to see the photo in this thread.
I absolutely love my GES, especially for the price, and it was greatly improved with some tubes I got from Mitch (Braillediver).
Between the design, which seems like a nice K-I-S-S design, and Jack's beautiful chassis, it's definitely a keeper.

Dan, I am sorry to hear of how much hardship you have gone through up to this point, with more that has to happen to get this resolved, one way or another.
I hope that this time next year, it will all be a bad dream that starts to fade away over time.

This hobby is expensive, but it is supposed to be fun. If we want hassles, we could always find enough at work or with or with our spouses to fill our lifetimes.

Jan 29, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #1,218 of 1,964
wow dude!

that post was huge. you write a ton. so what does it all mean. he is going to come out to you personally, rebuild the power supply to something acceptable and fine tune - really, fix - the amp portion so that it works both SE and Bal without distortion or imbalance. is that right? it would not excuse the disaster of a thing he sent you, but it would help. that's for sure.

Jan 29, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #1,220 of 1,964
Wow. Holy screw**g wow.

I thought my debacle with Rudistor was bad. My nightmare was a dream compared to this nonsense. I totally sympathize with you... it's SO easy to fall prey to "Nice Guy on the Other End of the Phone/Email" syndrome; had I just said "No... damn it... refund... end of discussion" I would have saved myself months of hassle.

Jan 29, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #1,221 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3 words come to mind while reading through this thread:

"Class Action Lawsuit".

Yeah. Was wondering if this would consider as mail fraud/scam?
Cheers,
AP

Jan 29, 2009 at 8:05 AM Post #1,222 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the Woo GES a version of a Kevin Gilmore design?

It's also similar to the Aristaeus and the HEV90. It isn't a very simple design though compared to something like the Egmont but that's, contrary to the usual audiophile belief, a good thing.

Jan 29, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #1,223 of 1,964
I agree, that's what anyone would expect from any kind of business where expensive work needs to be done.

Its hard to believe what Mikhail has written as it has been proven consistently in this thread of his tendency to lie and deceive. I hope he does in fact arrive at your place and fix it to your specification, along with the information you have asked for.

And yes I know appearance does not mean bad sound. But I think even when spending more than 200 USD for audio gear, its not much to ask that it would be designed and built in a clean, organized and elegant manner. This only shows the customers that the designer put some thought into it, cares how people percieve his work, and put in the effort to make sure that his designs sounds they way he wanted, but also demonstrates his workmanship.

So while appearance won't change the sound, its a huge factor I think in audio gear or any expensive product. And the recent photos of SinglePower audio gear is the worst I have seen. And I mean that, the WORST, its just gross. One fun part of this forum is that Head-Fiers post awesome photos of their Amps and DACs and we get to see how they are build inside also. And well SinglePower so far is the most hideous design workmanship I have looked at so far on this forum. No question, flat out most disgusting.

Quote:

My expectations of a business that is repairing something of mine is that when you receive the amp that you deliver to me in a timely manner a cost estimate and a breakdown of what is broken and what needs to be done to fix it. You didn't give me this information up front.. you only gave it to me after the fact.

Jan 29, 2009 at 11:50 AM Post #1,224 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Beefy. I have a GES also. Actually the first model that came out after the prototype. I don't recall it saying on Jack's website that it was a KG design when I bought mine, but someone told me it was during a NYC meet. So, now it is confirmed. I never opened mine up so it was a pleasant surprise to see the photo in this thread.
I absolutely love my GES, especially for the price, and it was greatly improved with some tubes I got from Mitch (Braillediver).
Between the design, which seems like a nice K-I-S-S design, and Jack's beautiful chassis, it's definitely Going to be sold to BHD for very little! Oh how I love the BHD! Along With Low cost sale of my Panerai forsure cause that BHD rox my Sox!!

Dan, I am sorry to hear of how much hardship you have gone through up to this point, with more that has to happen to get this resolved, one way or another.
I hope that this time next year, it will all be a bad dream that starts to fade away over time.

This hobby is expensive, but it is supposed to be fun. If we want hassles, we could always find enough at work or with or with our spouses to fill our lifetimes.

FIXED!

Jan 29, 2009 at 12:40 PM Post #1,225 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I hope he does in fact arrive at your place and fix it to your specification, along with the information you have asked for....

Even if he does show up and fix things, it is far too little too late. The point is, he shipped that amp in that condition, in hopes that it would never be opened where someone could see the shoddy work he did. If the buyer never opened the amp, he would have never been the wiser. I can only imagine how many people haven't opened their amp, to confirm that all of the upgrades they purchased were indeed done, when in fact, they probably were not. This is fraud, plain and simple. For those who continue to buy amplifiers from this individual, you have my pity.

It was both interesting and very sad to watch the rise and fall of SP.

And I agree that it would be a very, VERY bad idea to let Single Power attend any more Head-Fi meets. The potential for that to turn ugly (very highly likely) isn't worth the risk. Not to mention the balls this guy must have to even WANT to attend any more Head-Fi meets.

I am truly sorry for those who have fallen victim to these practices. And I hope you find a way to get your money back, or get the problems fixed to at least a satisfactory level (but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you).

Jan 29, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #1,226 of 1,964
I could understand the internals looking like that if those amps were 3 to 4 hundred dollars, but multithousand dollar amps, with some even touching into the tens of thousands, I would think that a certain neatness in workmanship would be mandatory.

I had no idea that the problems were so frequent though. It seems that some get excellent product and others get an awful one. Could it be that he has people of vastly different skill level building his amps? It's not excusing his behavior at all, but I'm just boggled how some of the $2,000 amps could be built well, but he'd do a rush job on a $10,000+ amp.

Jan 29, 2009 at 1:03 PM Post #1,227 of 1,964
These amplifier pictures show some quite odd designs. I'm usually not scared by horror movies, but these pictures had something horrifying about them when I thought about all those happy head-fiers getting unhappy when opening the nice-looking boxes.

Does anybody else have one of these amps to share more pictures? Maybe they are not all like that?

Jan 29, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #1,228 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevM2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could understand the internals looking like that if those amps were 3 to 4 hundred dollars...

I vehemently disagree with you there. I see $200 DIY amps sell all the time in the for sale forums, and the craftsmanship of those amps far exceed the mess that is inside of this $15,000 Single Power amp in question. I mean, it looks like a blind 6 year old assembled that amp for God's sake.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevM2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems that some get excellent product and others get an awful one. Could it be that he has people of vastly different skill level building his amps? It's not excusing his behavior at all, but I'm just boggled how some of the $2,000 amps could be built well, but he'd do a rush job on a $10,000+ amp.

Like you said, it still wouldn't matter, even if this were the case. Still not an excuse. I don't give a crap who put the amp together, if it was an employee of Single Power, and has the Single Power name on it, then Mikhail should be held responsible. Ever hear of Quality Control? Because apparently Single Power has not.

We are waaaaayyyy past being able to make any more excuses for this company. At this point in the game, when I see people STILL making excuses for Single Power, or in denial over what Single Power has been pulling these days, it reminds me of a psychological disorder named: Stockholm Syndrome.

Scray stuff. If you are considering doing business with this company, I implore you to please think twice before flushing your hard earned money down the toilet.

In the meantime, Mikhail could conceivably be driving around on a shiny new motorcycle that he purchased with the profit he made from the sale of this amp, while the buyer is left holding a bag of crap.

This is deplorable business practice, and it makes me sick to my stomach. The only thing (in my opinion) that Single Power can do at this point to make things right would be to refund money to everyone effected by this shoddy work, and then close it's doors forever.

Like I said earlier: Class Action Lawsuit.

Jan 29, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #1,229 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In terms of the casework the number of hours and level of effort spent
on this was far above anything we've ever done prior. The entire case
itself was hand polished and produced to a level of perfection that
included material flatness that exceeds precision to less than 0.001”
across the entire surface of the plates. This made it possible to
engrave the labeling to a level of .0008” below the surface of the
anodized material. This was a feat that required hundreds of hours of
labor for the chassis itself. Don't forget that the entire case was
designed from the ground up using multiple CAD renderings, a redesign of
the corner posts and a unique overall design that was made specifically
for this model. The engravings were made using a vertical CNC milling
machine with a 30,000 rpm 6:1 speed accelerator and a .0015” wide end
mill. This required coming up with a novel method of setup and execution
of the engravings performed to such a superior level of quality.

Hmm. I am very familiar with CAD/CAM and this just seems a bit...well untrue.

Jan 29, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #1,230 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark_h /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm. I am very familiar with CAD/CAM and this just seems a bit...well untrue.

And who the h... cares about if the case is sooooo unik when it is stuffed with crap..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back