Where is Ken Law?
Oct 6, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #166 of 217
braillediver: The direction some people have taken this thread in was inevitable. My posts in this thread have been very much along the lines of let's wait and see, and ppl were telling me I had too much of a "glass half-full" mentality all things considered. I'm just giving a little information so ppl know WHY I have the views I do.

RE: the "took offence" line. He said that to me in a chat. He said he told elnero. It was common fact.

909: I'm not sure if u were saying I'm tryign to pass blame, or if u were saying Ken is. If you meant me, then that wasn't my intention at all.

And yes, if a manufacturer reacts to threads such as these in the way that Ken did to elnero's, and that's all that was affected his actions (I'm not sure it was, but I couldn't tell you what were the other factors) then it would prove near impossible to deal with them... Give a bad review or express one concerned/negative opinion/concern and all of a sudden they won't contact you any more, or won't do business with you. And I do remember exactly how elnero's thread went. Considering I just said I helped them "sort it out" I thought that much would be obvious! I don't think anything I've said should have annoyed Ken or be read as "ragging" on him, as I've plainly stated many times I thought (and still DO think) Ken is an honest person who can make some great audio products - I just think something crazy is happening in Hong Kong right now, that we don't know about, and maybe Ken doesn't have any control over. What exactly it is, I have NO idea. And as I also said, my opinion / views haven't changed. Do you see me trying to get refunds and get the money back from elnero? No. The ringing is merely me trying to contact him. From the number of calls I (and I've heard others) have made already, I really don't think anyone's in the building. If they were, they'd have gone nuts by now, therefore maybe there is noone in the room to answer it (my conclusion).

I kind of expect that in a few weeks maybe we'll hear that he was in hospital or .. I dunno... something along those lines. But it doesn't explain what Eddy Wu said (that the people in the store he operated out of don't even know who he is), which is why it'd be great to confirm that with 3rd parties.

Taking the discussion offline won't really help as it'll only take one upset person who hasn't read/seen this thread to post a proper (full on assault) rant (not like the posts here so far) and it could have the same negative effect. Only a select few have made stupid suggestions and violence. I've only spoken of trying to get hold of Ken, and trying to substantiate real information from people in Hong Kong who might have seen him recently.

I just had to get what I said off my chest cos it was bugging me with the ppl jumping to strange/unjustified conclusions using IPs and it flies against of all my (fine) experiences with Ken so far. Foremost, I'm just worried about Ken and keen to find out if he's Ok, and I hate to see him look bad from ppl on here jumping up and down from hints and suggestions without many facts.

Oct 6, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #170 of 217
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
Ken Please contact rincewind and help resolve this?

Mitch

That oughtta do the trick. Wish we'd thought of that before.
rolleyes.gif

Here. I'll try:

Ken, if you're reading this, please don't be mad at us for coming to the obvious conclusion. It's my fault, and I'm very sorry for doubting you after not speaking to you for a month. I don't mean to trouble you, but if you find the time, could you maybe send us our DAC's like you said you would? If not, don't worry about it. I'm sure you have other things to take care of. But maybe if not that, you can respond to one of your emails? Whichever one, I'm not picky. Please? Again, I'm sorry for whatever I did that made you so upset with me that you didn't get online for a long time, didn't answer your phone, and gave false addresses. I'm sorry for that. Do you think you can forgive me and send me my DAC? When I look back on this, it's really all my fault.

PS. Elnero's a wanker.* See? I'm with YOU!

*elnero is, in actuality, not a wanker. There is reason to believe he's a pretty cool dude.

Oct 6, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #171 of 217
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daryn Alexander

PS. Elnero's a wanker.* See? I'm with YOU!

*elnero is, in actuality, not a wanker. There is reason to believe he's a pretty cool dude.

Do you even know him?

Why would you post insulting another member like that?

So you are hoping to get into his good books and get your dac while slanting another member because they had an issue?

Oct 6, 2006 at 5:16 AM Post #172 of 217
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
You guys shot yourselves in the foot- that’s why I posted in the beginning cause you didn’t seem to see the direction this was taking from the start. And you didn’t remember his attitude displayed in the elnero debacle.

"I told you so" is just about the last thing ANYONE needs at this point. I know you think you're being constructive, but that's just below the belt. They did NOT 'shoot themselves in the foot' with this thread. This was a constructive and reasonable thread for most of it. And I don't care if you're a touchy person, or indignant that someone accuses you of cheating them; if you're living in any kind of reality where you're capable of any sort of human interaction, you'll respond to ONE, just ONE e-mail in a month and a half. People waited a good long time before even STARTING this thread; Ken had already BEEN MIA. Wanting your money or your product and complaining about it is fully and totally WITHIN reason. They're not exacerbating some situation that wasn't serious before; people waited UNTIL it was serious before acting.

As to constructivity, my suggestion is file any sort of complaint you can that's necessary to get your money back. First recourse I would take right now if you paid by credit card is simply a chargeback; if you paid via credit, you're done there. That's all you need. If PayPal doesn't like it, let them. If you didn't pay by credit card, try the fraud route, a police report, be resourceful, call what numbers you have, go through Alvin, whatever it takes. If Alvin is a different person from Ken, and he agreed to deal with PayPal for Ken, then it's his responsibility to deal with PayPal. It sucks for him, but he chose that for himself when he agreed to do that for Ken. Obviously, I would try my best to be kind to him in case he is indeed an innocent bystander in this situation, but if he won't work with you, or respond to you, then do what you have to. Like others, I definitely wouldn't rule out the possibility (heck, even probability) that something bad has happened to Ken, but keep on your toes, and certainly don't take that indignant bs, if there's any of that involved. Even if he was hurt or harmed, that doesn't mean you should just lose your money and not discover what's going on.

Oct 6, 2006 at 5:51 AM Post #173 of 217
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Do you even know him?

So you are hoping to get into his good books and get your dac while slanting another member because they had an issue?

His whole post was clearly sarcasm

Oct 6, 2006 at 5:53 AM Post #174 of 217
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Do you even know him?

I thought that is just an innocuous sarcastic remark as he did hint in the end that elerno is still a cool guy. However Im not sure if ken will fully understand that sarcasm.

And i find the idea of a donation fund been the most constructive so far.

Oct 6, 2006 at 9:07 AM Post #175 of 217
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daryn Alexander
... It's my fault, and I'm very sorry for doubting you after not speaking to you for a month. I don't mean to trouble you, but if you find the time, could you maybe send us our DAC's like you said you would? If not, don't worry about it.

Congratulations. Even though it's sarcasm, I think that's the most childish post I've seen on Head-Fi.

Until someone gets some more real facts, or has suggestions for people who wish to take active measures, I don't see any real reason for some people to post in this thread, as has been requested by others already!

Oct 6, 2006 at 2:59 PM Post #179 of 217
Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerWilco
As i understand paypal--you would still be covered.Paypal still charged 3% for there services.

Not by a long shot. PayPal would like you to believe this, but its just plain not true. Once there is no money in the payee's account, PayPal will do SHOCKINGLY little to help you. I had an ebay thing go bad for $600, did the whole PayPal dispute thing....and waited and waited.

Finally got a PayPal "Settlement." $52.14. Out of $600. They consider the case "resolved." Bah...two years later and I'm still spitting mad.

*edit* that sounded cold. Just want to express my sympathy to those out all that money. Im sorry guys. Consider me in for any fund.

Oct 6, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #180 of 217
Quote:

Originally Posted by rincewind
Congratulations. Even though it's sarcasm, I think that's the most childish post I've seen on Head-Fi.

Until someone gets some more real facts, or has suggestions for people who wish to take active measures, I don't see any real reason for some people to post in this thread, as has been requested by others already!

Not some people, just some content. True, it was rather childish. However, it only takes brailledriver's statements to their obvious and ridiculous conclusions. It is my understanding that people have been taking active measures. Contacting your credit card company is an active measure. Trying to contact Ken is. Starting a chargeback, etc. Coming in this thread and blaming people is not. It's prepare for the worst, expect the best, and right now we have a lot of evidence which supports that line of thinking.

However, my frustration surely isn't aimed at you and I admire you for being able to keep a cool head for so long, being in your position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back