Where in NYC to buy a headphone amp right now?
Dec 22, 2011 at 4:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Bummrounde

Head-Fier
I got myself a little Christmas gift in the form of Beyerdynamic DT990 660 Ohm.  It's a huge stretch for me, but I decided I deserve it.  I figured with the holiday shipping grind there's no way they'd get here until next week.  Turns out I was wrong; they are here right now!  Now I need a proper amp so I can listen to them.  I noticed B&H Photo and J&R Electronics have tons of pro headphone amps (Behringer, ART, Samson etc) but the only proper headphone amp seems to be the Fiio E9 at B&H.

I use my computer and iPhone exclusively for music.  I listen to a broad variety of music but prefer hard rock and heavy metal.  That said, I'm bobbing my head to Cousteau at the moment and Anamanaguchi earlier).  I also have Shure srh840, Etymotic H3 and Grado sr225.  I own a Fiio e11 for when I want to use my 840s with my iPhone.

Do any Head-Fi'ers know about a good place in NYC I can scope out some more good options? My budget right now is up to $150, absolute stretch would be $200 (and I mean absolute).  It's also always good to know of more solid places than the famous ones in this city.  Show off your knowledge of the best spots here!

Dec 23, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #3 of 5
Fiio E9 for DT990? I really think your DT990 deserves better...
I think by getting a headphone amp cheaper than your headphone you are not fully exploiting its potential at all.

Jan 4, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #4 of 5
DO NOT get a tiny portable amp for a 600 ohm headphone.  Get a used NFB-12 from audio-gd on the for sale forum, or something else that has some power to it.  Those headphones need some power

Jan 5, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #5 of 5
I have the same headphones.  Not sure of stores in NYC.  The Woo amps are a great match for those cans (and NYC made!) but the lowest model is $500.  You may want to look at amps by Trends, I tried one in my local shop and it was good with dt990 250.

Another suggestion I don't think many people look at is using an external sound card.  You can buy a lexicon alpha for $60.  I have one and tried my 600Ohm DT990s on it and it is capable of driving them.  One of the features:

[size=small]High-powered headphone amp offers ultra-clear fidelity while delivering ample power for any type of headphones. [/size]

[size=small]Good luck,[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back