Where have the ATH-FC7 fans gone?
Jan 1, 2005 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Cloudbreak0

100+ Head-Fier
I used to hear alot of people praising the Audio-Technica ATH-FC7's but now i dont hear anything more. I would like to get a decent set of traveling phones that other people can listen to (and let everyone else keep their ear crust in their own ears). Anyone with experience?

Jan 1, 2005 at 7:00 PM Post #2 of 30
Quote:

I used to hear alot of people praising the Audio-Technica ATH-FC7's but now i dont hear anything more.

We would like to keep this fun phone to ourselves
tongue.gif
(or the fact that canalphones is taking over completely)

I use them with my iPod and couldn't be happier... Good with almost every genre of music (rock, pop, metal, rap...) Beats my old PortaPro with a good margin. I have no knowledge about how to describe the sound using Hi-Fi language... I describe them as fun and maybe I dare to call them groovy (must ask lini for permission
icon10.gif
)

Jan 2, 2005 at 1:30 AM Post #3 of 30
I just dont know if they are going to be worth the price because i have had a few sets of headphones that really havnt cut it in my tastes. Would you say that the quality of the fc7's is higher than the HD280's? Or maybe you could provide a little mini review?

Jan 2, 2005 at 1:06 PM Post #4 of 30
Here is a review of the FC7 taken from the ipod studio site.

I have not listened to the HD280 so I can't compare them. I have to get more experience with head-fi glossary before I can do a review, even if it's a small one. That's why I dug up the review that made me go for the FC7. The only thing I disagree with in the review is the comfort, they are way more comfy than grados, but that's my opinion. It's a relief to put on the FC7 after using my MS1.

Jan 2, 2005 at 4:27 PM Post #5 of 30
I think the FC7 fans are still here, or maybe they have just found the perfect headphone for them and don't use the forum any more
biggrin.gif

I have them too, and I like them alot, but the comfort could be better, but after having used them for 3-4months it has got better, and I can use them continuously for a couple hours before they get too uncomfortable, but I only use them for travel, since I have a pair of AKG K240S for homeuse.

There are quite a few comments regarding the FC7 and a couple reviews here in the forums, and I haven't read someone who thought they were rubbish yet, so I would say go for it.

BTW they are cheaper from teamdigital and bluetin.com

Jan 7, 2005 at 4:09 AM Post #6 of 30
I really like the sound of my FC7's. I hadn't really used them more than a half an hour at one time until I went on vacation this winter. A few negatives about the headphone were revealed to me during this vacation. It may just be me, but these headphones hurt my ears after long periods - the pads arent too great - and pressure develops on parts of my ears which gets very annoying (subtracts from enjoyment greatly). Secondly, they do not isolate very much at all, the sound of airplane turbines and such are still very loud while listening to music, as well as other outside noises. To me these negatives far outweigh they positive (sound)....

-Steve

Jan 7, 2005 at 4:14 AM Post #7 of 30
fc7 is the first headphone i purchased after reading head-fi forums, and i am absolutly in love fc7. it sounds great, it looks great, and i can hide it in my backpack for traveling. many people had compared fc7 to the sony egg0, and most of them end up gettin the fc7. so go for it, and good luck
-st3

Jan 7, 2005 at 4:18 AM Post #8 of 30
fc7 is an affordable portable with good bass response. that is all. never heard the hd280, but it most likely doesnt compare in sound quality quality. or isolation.

Jan 7, 2005 at 6:39 AM Post #9 of 30
The FC7s are brilliant headphones. Great for loud fun rock or rap.

Right now I'm currently addicted to my PortaPro 2s, since I'm devoutly listening to the new Decemberists album, and the PortaPros seem to be better acoustic rock cans.

But yeah, they provide excellent detail for their price.

Jan 7, 2005 at 7:26 AM Post #10 of 30
So apparently i'm the only person that finds the FC7's uncomfortable? Perhaps I got a defective pair.. Cause the padding does not suffice in keeping my ears off the hard drivers..

- Steve

Jan 7, 2005 at 10:22 AM Post #11 of 30
I dont find the FC7's uncomfortable but your ears do get warm after 30 mins of listening.

Other than that I am very happy with the phones, the bass response is good but it does leak IMO in to the the rest of the freq slightly.

They are good headphones for on the go and as the others have said it produces a fun involving sound.

I now use the FC7's on the weekends when wandering around town as my ER6i are more portable and suited for journeys on the Underground during the week at work as they can be hidden easier when meeting a client and wearing a suit !

Us FC7 lovers havent gone away !!! Personally I have just researching for my next purchase which looks like it is going to be the Ultrasone HFI 650.

eggosmile.gif

Jan 23, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #12 of 30
With my good ol' Koss KSC-35's biting the dust a week ago, I decided to move on to something a bit different. Hopefully, I will adjust to the closed sound of the Audio-Technica ATH-FC7 headphones.

I ordered from Bluetin.com today, and hopefully will receive it sometime in the coming weeks. I'm no audiophile, but I sure do love listening to music.
smily_headphones1.gif

R.I.P. Koss KSC-35. You served me well.

Jan 23, 2006 at 4:28 AM Post #13 of 30
Compared to Portapros, the ATH-FC7 has punchier bass, if less warm, and I'd describe it also as less airy. But it's closed, very portable, and sounds great for the price. I found them very comfortable without glasses if a little uncomfortable after a while with glasses, but I've got a very large head.

Jan 23, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #14 of 30
i think the reason that they're not talked about as much here is that they're not readily available to the general public, like koss are. i had no problems with comfort when them and i wear glasses. they're great for portable use as they fold up into a little ball and can easily be thrown in your backpack. in japan, you see them everywhere and it's not surprising since they're pretty good for the price.

Jan 23, 2006 at 5:41 AM Post #15 of 30
The fc7 is being shipped to me right now, but I'm thinking about selling them without trying them out and going with something else. For those of you who have experienced the fc7 and other headphones, at what level would you place the sound quality? In other words, at the ksc35 level? The SR60 level? HD555 level?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back