Where else except in Canada can you...
Feb 26, 2005 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

d00dz

100+ Head-Fier
...SKATE 7.8 km to SCHOOL!?!?!

That's right, almost every morning and night I skate to my University and back home on the Rideau Canal. It's the World's Longest skating rink and I Love it. Every Morning I wake up and actually look forward to my communte to school. It brings the life back into you, the fresh cool air, great excercise, and it's Canadian.

I just wanted to make everyone else jealous for those who spend hours in gridlock breathing in fumes from the "You pay it, we trash it" Moving Cube Van infront of you
tongue.gif

http://www.canadascapital.gc.ca/skateway/index_e.asp

Go to VIRTUAL TOUR then press SKATE THE CANAL

Feb 26, 2005 at 2:59 AM Post #4 of 15
Believe it or not but i think it's a $10 fine if you get caught with a Hockey stick on the ice....bummer.

Feb 26, 2005 at 3:05 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by d00dz
Believe it or not but i think it's a $10 fine if you get caught with a Hockey stick on the ice....bummer.

Just call it "a price of admission".
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2005 at 3:27 AM Post #6 of 15
But then again there are the days with -35 degress celsius where if you step out side your eyes freeze shut and your feet get stuck to the ground.

Feb 26, 2005 at 3:31 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krishna
But then again there are the days with -35 degress celsius where if you step out side your eyes freeze shut and your feet get stuck to the ground.

-35 isn't *that* cold....
What was it last weekend.... -30-something (with windchill)
Was fairly pleasant, I had a good day of riding!
It was wierd the snow was still kinda soft.....

Feb 26, 2005 at 3:48 AM Post #9 of 15
your soo lucky to have ice to play on. a few winters back we flooded a local outside basketball court so we could play ice hockey (the town didnt approve) so were stuck playin street hockey in wallmart parking lots (we usually get a quarter in befor security asks us to leave)

Feb 26, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #10 of 15
That's pretty awesome. So what is at each end? In the map, it looks like there is water at each end but in the vid it comes to a halt at some steps.

Is that thing open 24/7? Are there people skating on it in the wee hours of the morning? Is it policed?

Feb 26, 2005 at 4:10 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by d00dz

That's why we played hockey late at night after everyone was gone. When I went to the University of Ottawa we used play under the bridge or on the little stream & pond just off the canal which was near one of the bridges.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imyourzero
That's pretty awesome. So what is at each end? In the map, it looks like there is water at each end but in the vid it comes to a halt at some steps.

Is that thing open 24/7? Are there people skating on it in the wee hours of the morning? Is it policed?

The south end is a big frozen pond and at the other end the canal stops dead near the parliament buildings. The north end might be different now since they've done a bunch of construction work there in the past few years.

I don't think it's open 24/7, but it's probably close enough. They close it down from time to time to clean the ice and flood it. I've been on the ice well past midnight, and yes it is policed, the northern part near U of O and the parliament buildings is heavily patrolled while the southern end is almost unsupervised. Again, this might've changed in the last few years.

Feb 26, 2005 at 4:27 AM Post #13 of 15
In the video the skater skates to the northern end of the pond, but the canal continues south of the pond where it ends at a couple of locks beside Carleton University (where i end my trip). I start near the queensway/canal bridge and it's a half hour of pure joy. I wish everyone on earth can "skate to a higher education"...and not live day to day in a war torn country.

I've skated on it also in the wee hours of the night...most of the late late night times the track is flooded and people kick you off. near the northern part -- as aerius said there are a few "authority figures" but near carleton and on the Dow's lake....absolutely nobody at night....

Feb 26, 2005 at 10:13 PM Post #14 of 15
I just did the virtual tour... that could be so much fun. its alot better than my morning commute (2 mile bike ride, rains alot though)

i saw a few places where i think it would be fun to play some hockey

Feb 27, 2005 at 4:06 AM Post #15 of 15
Man, I'm wicked jealous. I haven't skated in couple of years but I've always enjoyed it. It would be nice if I could skate to my work. Of course, when I consider how much stuff I take to work, I really wouldn't be able to skate to work even if it was a viable option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back