Where do you stand on hip-hop as a musical form?
Jun 18, 2002 at 5:06 PM Post #76 of 93
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
But I think hip-hop is tough for rock and (respectable) pop fans because it emphasizes a much different component of the music. For me, lyrics are relatively unimportant. I listen primarily to music that treats the lead singer as another -- albeit prominent -- instrument. Most hip-hop, of course, puts the lyrics right out in front ... and not much behind. A listener can't pick apart a song, listening to each instrument, like with a rock song. Instead, I find that the hip-hop I like is whatever puts the beat and the lyrics together most cohesively, no matter if the rappings subpar or whatever.

I completely agree with this statement and is probably why I never really got into Rap/Hip-Hop, other than the few comical songs. There are CDs I probably listen to every week or two for the last year I couldn't recite the lyrics to. The vocals are just another instrument with the lyrics being the notes.

Jun 19, 2002 at 9:59 PM Post #77 of 93
Yeah, Eminem rules, "The Eminem show" is his best album by far. Some lyrics are really funny and Eminem is one of the few rappers I can understand (I'm not a native english speaker). But still I like hip hop music a lot. And don't diss every succesfull rap artist or group (except Puff Daddy, P Diddy whatever), 2pac, Dr. Dre, Jay-Z and Wu-Tang among others are really good, and Snoop Dogg has some good songs.

And all you who like experimental hip hop check out "Blackalicious'" new album "Blazing Arrow". It even has ?uestlove in some tracks, and also Zack de la Rocha repeats "release" in one track. It's great. Also tomorrow I'm gonna go buy DJ Shadow's private press.

Jun 19, 2002 at 11:56 PM Post #78 of 93
How is it that a guy who can't sing, can't play an instrument, and samples other people's work be called a musician?
confused.gif

Jun 20, 2002 at 1:01 AM Post #79 of 93
well i generally have no use whatsoever for hip-hop/rap etc.

two exceptions...

lauryn hill's new double live cd from mtv unplugged is wonderful.

it is a mix of hip-hop and folk

and i really really hate to say it but the new eminem cd has some great tracks on it. a few i could live without but a couple of really great tracks.

matthew

Jun 20, 2002 at 1:38 AM Post #80 of 93
Im a huge fan of the older Wu-tang material but the newer stuff just doesn't do it for me.

Their first 2 albums were great, especially Wu-Tang Forever. 36 Chambers had that really rough and raw sound that will never be replaceable but the slight refinement in Forever, along with the wicked mixing that Rza does, makes it one of my favorite all time CD's. A lot of the branch off albums at the time were great too. Gza's Liquid swords was especially good as was Method Man's Tical. But since then they've really lost the magic IMO.

Any other Wu tang lovers out there?

Jun 20, 2002 at 3:22 AM Post #81 of 93
Quote:

Originally posted by Todd R
How is it that a guy who can't sing, can't play an instrument, and samples other people's work be called a musician?
confused.gif

Are people who play keyboards musicians? A keyboard merely samples other instruments (at best).

Jun 20, 2002 at 4:07 AM Post #82 of 93
wu-tang's 36 chambers (for me at least) is the pinnacle of hip-hop. every track stands out, every single one is absolutely great, you never get tired of any of them, the production is awesome, although definitely not as bass-heavy as modern hip-hop, the rhyming is great, i just love that album

Jun 20, 2002 at 9:55 AM Post #83 of 93
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly

Are people who play keyboards musicians? A keyboard merely samples other instruments (at best).

Really? My piano always sounds just like a piano.
tongue.gif

Jun 20, 2002 at 12:46 PM Post #84 of 93
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly

Exactly. Keith Jarrett is a fraud, as are Rick Wakeman, Max Middleton and Mike Garson. All those people multi-tasking on organ, synth, mellotron......hey I love the sound of mellotron, it's quite unique and you have to be a musician to operate these things and make sense of them and you still have to know your notes.

Jun 20, 2002 at 1:48 PM Post #85 of 93
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle
Exactly. Keith Jarrett is a fraud, as are Rick Wakeman, Max Middleton and Mike Garson.

Yeah...and what about Mozart, Bach, Beethoven,...etc., etc. (all keyboard players). Those no talent bastards!

wink.gif

Jun 20, 2002 at 2:51 PM Post #86 of 93
this is amazing, out of 65 posts not one has voted "Hip-hop is tha bomb! I listen primarily to hip-hop." is it only in sydney that everyone appears to be R&B/hip-hop crazed, atleast the hot 20 something girls.
tongue.gif

i guess most head-fiers arent into the latest sony SUPER EXPODE MEGA EXTRA BASS either huh?

I do think hip-hop is just as valid as all other form of music, hip-hop has very deep roots and i do enjoy the occasional hip-hop. There are also some very talented hip-hop artists, I think eminem is a talent.

Jun 20, 2002 at 11:57 PM Post #88 of 93
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle
Exactly. Keith Jarrett is a fraud, as are Rick Wakeman, Max Middleton and Mike Garson. All those people multi-tasking on organ, synth, mellotron......hey I love the sound of mellotron, it's quite unique and you have to be a musician to operate these things and make sense of them and you still have to know your notes.

I'd say people who don't even know their notes and make badass music with a keyboard are still musicians.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think you can look at samples in rap and hip hop the same way as samples in keyboards. It's not "simply" producing a note or sample that makes someone a musician, it's the ability to arrange them into music.

Jun 21, 2002 at 2:35 AM Post #90 of 93
Quote:

Originally posted by matthewd5
well i generally have no use whatsoever for hip-hop/rap etc.

two exceptions...

lauryn hill's new double live cd from mtv unplugged is wonderful.

it is a mix of hip-hop and folk

and i really really hate to say it but the new eminem cd has some great tracks on it. a few i could live without but a couple of really great tracks.

matthew

I agree. Lauryn Hill, just her and her acoustic guitar playing with passion and emotion. Its a good listen, although I skip through all the introductions to get to the songs.
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back