where do you put your headphone amp?
Mar 24, 2004 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

mickelae

New Head-Fier
do you stack it right on top of the source? would that add interference and thus negatively affecting the sound quality? or am i just being overly paranoid?

Mar 24, 2004 at 3:41 PM Post #2 of 46
I place mine side by side on my desk. I would put them on a rack but I have no space for that.

There might be interference depening on the source and amp but it's probably small enough you may not notice. I'd watch out if they're hot components which they probably aren't.

Mar 24, 2004 at 4:18 PM Post #4 of 46
My Earmax Pro which is a tube amp cannot be placed on anything that transmit vibrations to the amp so placement is a pain.
Even when placed right, the headphone cable and other cables going to source etc. will transmit a lot of noise when moving so I need special preperations for the amp.

The RA-1 I can leave everywhere without much trouble but right now it's actually disconnected on the floor next to my audio rack because I'm using the earmax a lot lately , even when at the computer.

The HEV70 is often in my audio rack....

Mar 24, 2004 at 4:46 PM Post #5 of 46
Next to my CD deck, see avatar
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2004 at 5:08 PM Post #6 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by mickelae
do you stack it right on top of the source? would that add interference and thus negatively affecting the sound quality? or am i just being overly paranoid?

When I had the Perreaux, placing it on top of the CD player near its transformer caused some audible humming at max volume. Not totally sure if it was really from that transformer, or some cable picking up some EMI, in any case incidentally it happened the closest the amp was to the transformer area of the CDP (an Azur back then).

Mar 24, 2004 at 5:53 PM Post #7 of 46
I place the talisman on top of my player and i have not noticed any distortion in the sound output of the amp from my ety's and these buggers pick up everything out there.
It seems to rurn real quite although since it is a dual mono class A design it does tend to get warm.

Mar 24, 2004 at 7:51 PM Post #8 of 46
I have mine well clear of the sources - particularly the analogue box of my DAC, at the end of metre lengths of interconnect.

I have attached it to my desk with blue tack, not as a sound absorbtion agent but to stop the weight of the inteconnects pulling it off!

I am not being paranoid, just careful and hedging my bets.

Mar 24, 2004 at 9:41 PM Post #10 of 46
My tube amp sits on its own shelf on the Lovan rack I use for my audio. It's supported by Black Diamond Racing carbon fiber cones and as incredulous as I was about them at first, they work.

Mar 24, 2004 at 10:14 PM Post #12 of 46
I put it right below my Samsung DVD player.

EDIT: Ack! Double post!
I hit reply for the first one, then get the "Page Cannot Be Found", hit back, and write a new reply since the old one got erased.

Mar 24, 2004 at 10:45 PM Post #13 of 46
I have the 45lb Electrocompaniet on top of some Finite Elemente CereBalls, then a plastic monitor stand on top of that with the KGSS on top. I wish I had some decent isolation stands for the KGSS, but with the top loading CDP I have it works fine. Once the Denon arrives I will likely get some decent stands to put the new amp on top of so I can get rid of the plastic monitor stand.

Mar 25, 2004 at 12:06 AM Post #14 of 46
My amp (x-can v2) is placed on top of the tower-sized pc case. It is placed beside the desk and is nearly on desk level. Thanks to x-can v2's strange design it fits perfectly on the pc. And there is a short 60cm interconnect directly to the soundcard's rca output.

BTW - the same round-shaped x-can v2 serves as headphone holder. I am a bit concerned about heating the phones all the time.

Mar 25, 2004 at 12:08 AM Post #15 of 46
My Philips CDP is on the top shelf of my DIY audio rack. The middle shelf will soon have my Behringer DEQ 2496, but for now it holds my Perreaux SXH-1 and Sugden Headmaster. I need to find space for my Staxes and the Earmax Pro
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: This might be easier soon -- I think I'm going to be paring down my amps significantly. I think tubes just *may* be the missing link ::hint, Perreaux and Sugden::

Users who are viewing this thread

Back