Where do you position your cans on your head primarily ?
Oct 22, 2006 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ozshadow

500+ Head-Fier
I may be a bit odd, but I listen to my Grados 95% of the time with the headband on the crown of my forehead. This is always while I am laying down. The cups extend far enough they can be positioned anywhere on my ears I wish.

I only wear them the normal way when I am at my computer, which I rarely listen to them here.

Anyone else wear their cans other than the typical way ?

Oct 22, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #2 of 13
I suppose you wear them vertically ?
confused.gif
If there should be any deviation from a 90 degree wearing, the headphone designs should already have taken into account (look at HD650's, for example).

edit: forgot to mention that I read from somewhere (probably from headwize) that best way to position your ears within the earcups is the have the upper back of the earcups touching your ears (given that they are circumaural, not superaural like Grado's). The reason being related to better imagining and in some cases even smoothening out harsh sounds (think decentralization from your ears).

Oct 22, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
I experimented with various positions, but found that over the ears was the best way.

This is epic, we must sticky this.

Oct 22, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

I experimented with various positions, but found that over the ears was the best way.

That is probably the funniest thing I've seen all evening.... I nearly drenched my monitor with coffee from laughing!

As for headphone positioning I think people are referring to this page on Dr Meiers web page Headphone Position This is generally how I wear my headphones with the headband actually pushed forwards a bit from going right over the top of my head (I can't say why... it just feels more sturdy/comfy that way)

Oct 22, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #6 of 13
There was a thread not long ago where this was discussed. At Jan Meiers site he give this advise as m_memmory mentions.

position.gif

headphone position:

It's so easy, but did you ever test for the optimal position of your headphone? With many headphones the soundstage and the balance of sound are strongly dependent on the position of the driver to our ears.

Scientific research has shown that our perception of depth is increased when the driver is placed more forward and lower with respect to the entrance of the ear channel.

Experimenting doesn't cost you anything and may improve sound considerably.

Oct 22, 2006 at 11:50 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

So that's what I've been doing wrong!
blink.gif

Oct 23, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #9 of 13
it depends on the headphones. generally centered top to bottom, but front/back is difernt.

each of mine is diferent.

omega 2s, with the backs of my ears nestled up against the middle/back of the pads (heapdhone all the way forward on my head)

lambda: perfectly centered top to bottom. not as specfic front to back. more towards front...

grados: wherever they fit. the hp2's with rodlocks pretty much go with the driver centered over my ear. they are not as sensative to position as i find the stax to be.

akg: k240 (and variabts) mostly forward on my head.
k1000: toed out, and at an odd angle. the drivers are go more diaganolly than up and down... i tilt the bottom of the driver to the back of my head.

Oct 23, 2006 at 5:36 AM Post #11 of 13
Grados down a little and forward. So the sand-paper bowl edge is aligned with the top and back edge of my outer-ear. headband on the top.

HD580, K240s, DT770 centered with headband on the top.

A250 centered, with the headband resting rearward, on top of my bald patch (where my hair-swirl used to be).

Oct 23, 2006 at 5:38 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Goofy Picture

Those poor Lambdas...
frown.gif

Oct 23, 2006 at 5:49 AM Post #13 of 13
i think my alessandros sound better when they're on my forehead and i'm laying down.
you know you're wearing grados correctly when your ears start to hurt.

as for the eggos.the outer part of my ear is under the padding so its circumaural. kinda funky
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back