Where do you legally download your music from?
Jul 24, 2004 at 2:48 PM Post #31 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by CSMR
I know. I'm saying that it's absurd to allow people to copy cds and sell the originals on. Once you've sold a cd I don't think you should be able to listen to your copy. If there were no sense of guilt at this and everyone knew it was legal then this practice would be so rampant that there would be hardly any cds sold. Really if Germany lacks such a law then all other contries should retaliate and declare all content produced in Germany freely copyable outside Germany using this method.

Legality.Morality.Different cultures.
A wide field.
Legality:
We had a vehement discussion about these issues and decided to refuse outlawing the unrestricted use of our gear.
In fact it is explicitly allowed to make copies for private purposes.
My state owned local library keeps about 2000 CDs for exactly that purpose.
You can borrow the CDs for a small fee.
In order to balance the interests of the public (it's about freedom, man!) and the interests of owners of intellectual property we pay fees when we purchase any gear capable of copying, e.g. PCs, DVD recorders, cassette recorders and the related CD-Rs, DVD-Rs, MCs and so on.
We have a long tradition of private copying, at example producing a custom compilation for our friend's birthday party.Outlawing that would mean criminalizing the whole population.
Seems to be a bit unpractical, isn't it?
BTW, privat copies are legal in whole Europe AFAIK.And Russia.And Asia.And South America.And Africa.And the middle east.And.....
Maybe your politicians have been paid good for sacrificing your freedom, getting elected is expensive in your part of the world.
I think your screwed minority position is no good starting point for an international economical war, could prove fatal.
Morality:
What share of the 20$ you are paying in a record store do you think is actually given to the musicians?
1.2 $ !!!!!!!!`
Morality?
I must admit that I'm a bit uncomfortable with the current situation.
I do really want to pay such a small amount and even more for the musicians and the sound engineers, but I have no use for the overhead called music industry and all the middlemen.
I'm just waiting for the dinosaur MI to collapse.
Ask some computer savvy young Americans what they think about paying 18.8$ on overhead for 1.2$ content. This structure won't survive, direct payment over the internet is better for the artists and better for us.
Different cultures:
The american habit of forcing every other culture to follow your way of civilization is annoying.Ask any nonamerican.Any !

Jul 24, 2004 at 7:16 PM Post #32 of 39
Well, I'm English actually, and you continentals never fail to shock me! Allowing copying music from libraries!
BTW I'm not saying making compliations is illegal if you own the relevant cds, and it's a matter of reasonableness - if you're giving a compliation away with samples which effectibely advertise the music then that seems very reasonable.
$1.2 dollars as an average seems about right. My mother is an author and she gets even less. What you should know is that this is the price in a basically competive economy - if artists could get more money going to a different record company they would. The most popular ones are thus able to command much more. If you can start a company which pays artists more and whose cds cost less in the end and which makes a profit - go ahead and do that. I am an economist and to me the the additional cost of the cd is indicative of the risks, mastering and production costs and the value of the company's reputation, which people use as indicative of quality.
The collapse of the music industry I can't see as being good for music. I agree with your preference for music over the internet - wipes out lots of costs. However many people still want to buy CDs. And there need to be laws which prevent copying by your method - otherwise the cost of music is effectively 0 (as you can buy and sell, keep the music, cost 0), and then who will produce the music? Now if only Germans (or non-americans if you like) have these laws then that's great for Germans, but not great for incentives to produce and distibute music.

Jul 25, 2004 at 12:13 AM Post #33 of 39
With ALLofMP3, if you do download a bad rip, simply email them and they check it out and if they agree they will remove the rip from their site and credit you the money back, I've only had to do this once but it was quite quick and I even got to keep the tracks I had downloaded, can't argue with that.

Jul 25, 2004 at 1:23 AM Post #34 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaoticBob
With ALLofMP3, if you do download a bad rip, simply email them and they check it out and if they agree they will remove the rip from their site and credit you the money back, I've only had to do this once but it was quite quick and I even got to keep the tracks I had downloaded, can't argue with that.

Yea right. lets see...

First they told me to update firmware on my player.
Then they claimed my player didnt support the correct format (WMA)
(and mines a RIO S Series).
Then they claimed its a portable problem (I tested on other portables),
then they claim their source was clean.

Have you ever heard of an encoder adding digital extraction error
pops and clicks? I havent.

Two albums I DL'd were copy protected, and sounded
just the same as when I tried to rip them
with EAC at home. (I dont know how to explain
the noise artifacts).(and yes, EAC in Secure mode).

I finally got tired of their BS and switched to club.mp3search.ru
and their rips have all been clean. Plus the downloads
are way-way faster.

Aug 3, 2004 at 3:21 PM Post #35 of 39
I've just tested club.mp3search.ru
I can't comment on the quality , only a few files yet.
This service is uncomfortable in regard to downloading, no way to download say 20 files at once with one click.
No ID3 tags, dammned.
They seem to offer a much smaller repertoire than allofmp3.com, but I'm not sure.Hard to get an overview.
Allofmp3's search function with suggested similar artists is superior at least.

Aug 4, 2004 at 3:14 AM Post #36 of 39
For downloading, use the "ReGet" software.

It's hella faster than allofmp3's explorer..

So far out of 10g of downloads, no bad files.
Thatrs way-way better than the 40% of crap I DL'd
from allofmp3

Aug 4, 2004 at 12:17 PM Post #37 of 39
I've downloaded about 5gigs worth of music from allofmp3.com so far, havn't had a single bad file, or crappy quality selection. Download everything at 320kbs LAME mp3 or 320kbs OGG. I like the service, could use a bit faster dl speeds, but for the price I can't complain, and it's much nicer now with the catalog built into allofmp3 explorer.

Sep 5, 2004 at 5:42 PM Post #38 of 39
To answer the topic: DC++

I do buy CD's too every now and then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back