Where do you guys get your FLAC music from?
Mar 22, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #16 of 34
I wonder how do they rip their CD, especially the 24bit/96khz?
We try to do our best with several guides for EAC or dBpoweramp,
Probably they just use WMPlayer or iTunes to wav then to flac..

Mar 22, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #17 of 34
I'm pretty sure hdtracks.com don't rip cd's 
wink.gif

They get the music in much higher resolution from the record companies, then make them available in flac, aiff and wav, nicely packaged with liner notes, cover art etc.

Mar 25, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #18 of 34

Quote:
To be honest, the best way is to rip CD's or Vinyl yourself, as many of the torrents mentioned above are usually transcoded from lower bitrate rips.  There are exceptions, but for the most part I feel a lot more comfortable with my own cd's and/or vinyl and EAC.  You always get the best results ripping things yourself on good equipment.  There are obviously some places which offer legitimate downloads for money, but what do you do if your hard drive crashes and you don't have the physical media of your favorite track? 

Cheers,
Zach

Correction: Crappy torrent sites, public trackers, allow transcodes. Private ones are actually liable to ban someone for uploading a transcode, or at least take away their uploading privileges. Once a FLAC is uploaded with a log score of 100/100 there's no possible way to make it sound better, regardless of drive.

Mar 25, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #19 of 34
I do my own rips. I was a fan of properly ripped VBR MP3's for a long time, and have recently moved to FLAC now that I have the storage space.

If you are at a major university or college, your library probably has access to Inter-Library Loan (ILL) and WorldCat, through which (as a student or faculty member) you can request material from any other member library - and there are thousands. This is a wonderful source of music. I have managed to track down some really obscure EP's, a handful of 7", even a few demo CDR's (that should only really have gone to advance reviewers but somehow entered the library system), through this method. You search Worldcat, put in a request, and your library's staff will have it shipped from the participating library to your own, free of charge.

There are some libraries in France, particularly the national library, that have staggering collections of music. They put the largest music specialty stores to shame. I haven't had much luck borrowing through them, though. I think the only international request I had filled was from Denmark. It took 3 weeks to arrive, but god was it worth it.

Mar 27, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #20 of 34
I download all my music from What.CD, a torrentsite with high standards. I wish I would be able to repay all the great musicians for all the joy they have brought me. It is just not possible for me to pay for all music while rapidly exploring new music.

A friend tells me it's against the rules of Head-Fi to talk about torrenting, is that really the case?

Mar 28, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #21 of 34

Quote:
I download all my music from What.CD, a torrentsite with high standards. I wish I would be able to repay all the great musicians for all the joy they have brought me. It is just not possible for me to pay for all music while rapidly exploring new music.

A friend tells me it's against the rules of Head-Fi to talk about torrenting, is that really the case?

I didn't want to say the name, but I'm from there as well.

Mar 28, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #22 of 34

Quote:
To be honest, the best way is to rip CD's or Vinyl yourself, as many of the torrents mentioned above are usually transcoded from lower bitrate rips.  There are exceptions, but for the most part I feel a lot more comfortable with my own cd's and/or vinyl and EAC.  You always get the best results ripping things yourself on good equipment.  There are obviously some places which offer legitimate downloads for money, but what do you do if your hard drive crashes and you don't have the physical media of your favorite track? 

Cheers,
Zach

Back up all your media on mediafire.

Mar 28, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #26 of 34

Users who are viewing this thread

Back