Where do you guys by pots?
Sep 9, 2001 at 9:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jim

100+ Head-Fier
I've been using my cmoy for about 9 months now, and the panasonic pot is already beginning to get noisy on me. Anyone know where to get some higher quality ones? Maybe a conductive plastic clarostat or alps/nobel or something? It'd be nice if the thing could fit in the pactec case as well, but it doesn't have to. I'm thinking about giving my cmoy a bigger case so i can stick a coaxial DC jack and some rca jacks in it, but haven't decided yet. Any recommendations with part numbers would be greatly appreciated!

Sep 9, 2001 at 10:11 PM Post #2 of 10
Jim,

You can get a nice miniature Nobel from C.E. Hansen of Cmoy/Hansen PCB fame for $4.50 - email him at

spamsuxcehansen@aol.com (remove the 'spamsux' part, of course)

Alternatively, try Percy Audio or Welborn Labs for same swanky uge Nobels and Alps.

If you really want to spend some money try a stepped attenuator in lieu of the pot. Both Percy and Welborn have 'em as well as Aloha Audio.

tune in , turn on, turn up.

ok,
erix

Sep 10, 2001 at 12:15 AM Post #3 of 10
Adding www.angela.com to the list for a big Noble and some big Alps pots.

Sep 10, 2001 at 1:38 AM Post #4 of 10
I've just ordered some (more) of the Noble pots from Carl Hansen. Highly recommended!
How about a source for high quality (gold plated) 3.5mm panel mounted jacks?
crk

Sep 10, 2001 at 3:53 AM Post #5 of 10
thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I'll be sending Carl an e-mail. As for the stepped attenuator, while I have no doubts that it would sound great, I simply don't have the patience to do that much soldering!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 10, 2001 at 4:01 AM Post #6 of 10
Huh. I just took a peek at the aloha audio website. How do you wire those attenuators? Similar to a pot? I must have been thinking of some previous discussion about building your own attenuators, which is why I immediately thought of the massive soldering job. So if it's easy to put in.....hmm.....nah.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 10, 2001 at 5:53 AM Post #7 of 10
Does Hansen sell the miniature Noble pots are the big ones? Someone mentioned on a newsgroup post once that the big pots actually cost around $5 each when bought in bulk, so I kind of have my hopes up.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2001 at 12:43 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Now about some qulaity 3.5mm jacks (panel mount).

I have been using some jacks from Digikey, made by Conn Audio. they are enclosed 3.5mm jacks. Part number CP-3535-ND. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back