where do you get your CDs?
Jun 4, 2002 at 12:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

pennylane

500+ Head-Fier
do you just buy CDs in stores? are you in any clubs (like columbia house)? which ones? (for lots of different genres or even just a particular one)
i'm curious, and i want to expand my CD collection, so can you help me out?

Jun 4, 2002 at 1:07 AM Post #2 of 31
cdnow.com
half.com
spun.com
cdbaby.com
Pastemusic.com
cduniverse.com
Tower and Borders in first person.
md

Jun 4, 2002 at 1:14 AM Post #3 of 31
half.com

ear-rational.com

ab-cd.com

darla.com

adifferentdrum.com

industrial-music.com

isotank.com

I will be shopping at that The End store mentioned in the Darkest Desires thread...no, they don't specialize in The Doors...

And occasionally, when I am desparate, Tower (it's right across the street, and I have a friend who works there). I do not shop at towerrecords.com -- they have screwed up every order I had the misfortune to make there.

Alright, I go there all the time. But I try not to.

Jun 4, 2002 at 1:33 AM Post #4 of 31
http://www.amoebamusic.com/
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2002 at 2:12 AM Post #5 of 31
Jun 4, 2002 at 4:02 AM Post #7 of 31
Nezer -- I can sympathize. I've only been to Amoeba once, and I spent 3 digits several times...

Jun 4, 2002 at 7:33 PM Post #8 of 31
columbiahouse mostly. Sometimes BMG. The price works out to about $10 a cd. . .

If they don't have it, I usually go to amazon, best buy, borders, fye, or mediaplay, and usually buy it where I can get hte best price.

Jun 4, 2002 at 7:53 PM Post #9 of 31
The clubs can be a good way to get a start. I have not been a member for awhile, but I used to have multiple memberships to all the biggies. You do the 10 CD's for the price of one, your obligation is over and you can quit. After a few weeks they start sending you "come back to us" offers. So now you can do a 12 for 1 and quit. I found BMG to be the best. They were the first to stop that reply-or-you-buy-it thing, so there really is no obligation. I did not buy a full-priced cd ever after the first. At the worst they always have a 3 for two offer or something each mailing. I also found that there are tons of CD's that are not listed in the catalog that you can find on their website, so the selection is not TOO prohibitive. However, if you are looking for something a little more rare, amazon or cdnow are pretty complete.

hope that helps

Jun 4, 2002 at 8:00 PM Post #10 of 31
hmmm, where did you find this columbiahouse?
wink.gif

The way it works for me is you buy 1, get the free 12 cds, with the option of buying another cd for a reduced price, and getting 2 cds free. Then you have to buy 4/5 in the next 2 years at full price.

I think that's it. . .

Jun 4, 2002 at 9:29 PM Post #11 of 31
On-line I frequent Amazon, Chesky and Telarc. For brick-and-mortar I go either to Media Play or a local chain, Record Theater.

Jun 4, 2002 at 9:44 PM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by OneMalt
On-line I frequent Amazon, Chesky and Telarc.

I use the same plus some other web stores including Acoustic Sounds, Music Direct, and Red Trumpet.

However, borrowing on MacDEF's advice, Amoeba in SF is my favorite place to part with my money. I can easily spend hours pouring through the new and used vinyl.

Happy shopping.....
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back