Where do you get 6gu7 tubes from?
Jul 30, 2008 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MikoLayer

1000+ Head-Fier
I swear, I remember seeing a thread where sacd lover mentions two places he likes to buy those tubes from. All this talk of 6gu7s sounding so much better than 6cg7 gave me an itch to hear it for myself
biggrin.gif

On a related note, can anyone who got his ppx3 upgrade to SLAM comment on what changes I can expect with my HD650? I was told you see the greatest amount of improvement with low impedance phones, but I use HD650 almost exclusively now. There have been several not-so-cheap forays into other competing headphones, through which I only learned I am a sennheiser man to the core. I have already replaced my source with monica 2 usb at the beginning of the year, and I am not a believer in prohibitively expensive cables.

So I believe the next logical step in upgrading would be the amp. Does anyone know how much mikhail charges you for SLAM upgrade? Lately, it appears he had been swarmed with work and not able to respond quickly to customers' inquiries. I wonder if the upgrade is going to be worth all the hassle and time.... (and money of course)

Jul 30, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #2 of 6
Jul 30, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I swear, I remember seeing a thread where sacd lover mentions two places he likes to buy those tubes from. All this talk of 6gu7s sounding so much better than 6cg7 gave me an itch to hear it for myself
biggrin.gif

On a related note, can anyone who got his ppx3 upgrade to SLAM comment on what changes I can expect with my HD650? I was told you see the greatest amount of improvement with low impedance phones, but I use HD650 almost exclusively now. There have been several not-so-cheap forays into other competing headphones, through which I only learned I am a sennheiser man to the core. I have already replaced my source with monica 2 usb at the beginning of the year, and I am not a believer in prohibitively expensive cables.

So I believe the next logical step in upgrading would be the amp. Does anyone know how much mikhail charges you for SLAM upgrade? Lately, it appears he had been swarmed with work and not able to respond quickly to customers' inquiries. I wonder if the upgrade is going to be worth all the hassle and time.... (and money of course)

The 6gu7's have turned out to be little powerhouses. You can drive low impedance headphones with these tubes just fine. I like the RCA 6gu7 driving Sylvania 6gu7's with my woodied MS1's or stock MS2i.

Good find on the AES sale.
wink.gif

If you still want to know the other tube sites let me know ....

Aug 4, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are currently VERY cheap at Antique Electronic Supply - on sale for $3.35 each, NOS! They are also available at Welcome to TubeDepot.com! for $7.95 each.

Anyone know the brand that AES is selling here? Looking to add a couple to my stash for my PPX3 SLAM. Lately I've been favoring the Sylvania's, and someone just sold quite a few of them NOS on ebay. Problem is, I dont need a couple dozen...

Aug 4, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #6 of 6
With AES, the best is to call them. They can walk right out to the warehouse and check.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back