Where do New Zealanders get their gear from?
Dec 8, 2013 at 12:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Noob Meister Jr

Head-Fier
On the offchance a kiwi reads this...

Apart from Fiio products everything seems to be overpriced here, and Amazon doesn't ship most stuff here. Nobody seems to have anything second hand on trademe. I just wondered if there was some other place that ships internationally that is eluding me?

Dec 8, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #2 of 37
Kiwians can generally get gears from this site, with free or $5 shipping:

http://www.lendmeurears.com/  (and its near to NZ)
gs1000.gif

Dec 8, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #3 of 37
Addicted to Audio posts to New Zealand. They have a large range. But be aware of import tax etc

Dec 8, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #4 of 37
thanks guys. 

Quote:
  Addicted to Audio posts to New Zealand. They have a large range. But be aware of import tax etc

I don't really understand the point in import tax. it's not as if we are manufacturing competing products here. Is it just so some peeps can have a job selling them? that's hardly contributing to society. essentially it's just taxing everyone else to redistribute their money around. might as well have just literally raised the tax rate and got these peeps to do some charity work or something instead. but anyway, that's not audio talk lol.......

Dec 8, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #5 of 37
how much is the import tax?

Dec 8, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #6 of 37

Apart from Fiio products everything seems to be overpriced here, and Amazon doesn't ship most stuff here. Nobody seems to have anything second hand on trademe. I just wondered if there was some other place that ships internationally that is eluding me?

Try the FS section on Head-Fi.  It's where I've bought most of my gear.

Yep - used A2A before.  great company to deal with.

Dec 9, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #7 of 37
  how much is the import tax?

i think it depends on the price of the item; and then if the total tax is less tahn a certain amount (like $50) it is waived. I think the cutoff is around $200 (including shipping) US before import taxes are not waived. i.e. a $170 item will cost $200 eith shipping plus $50 import tax. soa $170 item costs approx 1.5 times as much!

Dec 9, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #9 of 37

Are you a kiwi per chance?

How do you get around taxes when buying from here?

Yep - Invercargill.

i think it depends on the price of the item; and then if the total tax is less tahn a certain amount (like $50) it is waived. I think the cutoff is around $200 (including shipping) US before import taxes are not waived. i.e. a $170 item will cost $200 eith shipping plus $50 import tax. soa $170 item costs approx 1.5 times as much!

Go to the website and get the real info (http://www.customs.govt.nz/features/charges/feetypes/Pages/default.aspx)

Zero duty on headphones.  5% on amplifiers.  It's actually quite reasonable.  Where you get hit is on GST.

As long as you are under (on an 0.80 exchange rate USD/NZD) $400 NZD - then you get no GST or other tax.  Once over that, it starts at around $107 NZD extra ($60 GST + ~ $47 IETF fee).  Obviously I can't publicly suggest getting around these fees - so for now, use common sense (keep your purchases generally under USD 320 including freight).

Hope that helps.

Dec 9, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #10 of 37

Try Computerlounge in Auckland.  They've got a reasonable range...

computerlounge.co.nz

Dec 9, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #11 of 37

Try Computerlounge in Auckland.  They've got a reasonable range...

computerlounge.co.nz

Agree & Billy has some really nice deals happening quite frequently.at pretty good pricing.

Dec 9, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #12 of 37

Yep - Invercargill.

Go to the website and get the real info (http://www.customs.govt.nz/features/charges/feetypes/Pages/default.aspx)

Zero duty on headphones.  5% on amplifiers.  It's actually quite reasonable.  Where you get hit is on GST.

As long as you are under (on an 0.80 exchange rate USD/NZD) $400 NZD - then you get no GST or other tax.  Once over that, it starts at around $107 NZD extra ($60 GST + ~ $47 IETF fee).  Obviously I can't publicly suggest getting around these fees - so for now, use common sense (keep your purchases generally under USD 320 including freight).

Hope that helps.

5% is acceptable. We pay 20% flat import tax (cost of the item + shipping cost) in EU
eek.gif

Dec 9, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #13 of 37
^ GST is a flat 15% tax except as Brooko rightly says there's a small allowance before it gets applied.

I wasn't aware of 5% duty on amps!

Kiwis buy a lot from overseas, meaning NZ customs is overwhelmed from time to time. I got the benefit of this once or twice, some very expensive gear coming straight through.

Personally I'm not annoyed by GST. Even with this it's almost always cheaper than buying the same product from a NZ retailer (who has other costs they have to factor in, especially on items with a small market).

What does annoy me is the lengthy process sometimes. When I bought my LCD2 direct from Audez'e 2-3 years ago, I had to go through the rigmarole of applying for an import licence for this private purchase :eek: Took weeks, and I still don't understand why, as other more costly items only attracted the usual 15% plus IETF plus a few days delay. Or - as noted above - I got lucky and they were sent straight to me.

Dec 9, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #14 of 37
^ Agree AiDee

The one advantage I've had is that because I'm usually in the US once every year (with work), if there is anything expensive I want to pick up, I can just bring it in myself as personal goods.

And I'm same as you - so far have been lucky enough that I avoided the extra for my LD MKIV, and even the SRH1840.  Luck of the draw I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back