Where do I go from here?
May 23, 2012 at 2:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

MoonYeol

500+ Head-Fier
If you don't like reading about personal stuff or getting some background, it's totally fine if you skip this part. BTW, sorry about starting a new thread, just couldn't possibly imagine a thread that would answer what I want to ask (in this particular case).

Hello. I just recently decided that I like music. More than just hearing, really listening to. So far I've only used various IEMs and not really thought about sound signatures, frequency response or anything. I used to record some music as a hobby a few years ago so I still had a pair of K271mkII but from my phone or my laptop they didn't really sound as good as they did from my USB interface which just decided to call it quits some while ago. Anyway.

One day I just woke up (that's how I choose to look at it now, to not think about the countless hours I've spent browsing through anything about headphones, IEMs, cheap amplifiers etc etc) and decided that I'm going to learn about the fine art of listening to music. Much like I enjoy drinking various single malts and cognac of decent quality.

So, I decided that I would start to exercise, eat healthy and lose the weight I'd gained during the last few years. And at the finish line my beautiful fiancee would be with a present for me. After not so much reading I decided that it would be a pair of SE535. But hey, to really get motivation, I would need a few check points right? So I managed to squeeze in RE0 halfway in. (Still haven't gotten there since it's almost time for my semester exam in med school and I have a 6 months old daugther at home and life just keeps throwing poop sandwiches at me.) Besides that I said that I would treat myself to some small goodies after a good week or two with decent exercise and no snacking. So AMP3 sold M9, Metro.Fi 170 and a few random budget IEMs as well as E5 and E6. I also bought an iFuzen Hp-1 (which I think turned out to be the # version).

Ok, this is where I'm at right now.
I mostly listen while I'm on the go or I just prefer listening from my phone since I don't own any good DAC+amp and don't own any music (want to be legit). My own preference is mostly modern alternative rock ranging from power pop to hardcore. But I also enjoy acoustic, or anything that's good music, jazz, blues, funk, classical, doesn't matter as long as it's good music.

Spotify premium (320 kbit)-> iPhone 4s -> LOD -> E5 or E6 or iFuzen Hp-1

Shure SE535 (still eagerly waiting, gift wrapped)
Hifiman Re0 (still eagerly waiting, not gift wrapped however)
AKG K271mkII
Bose IE (v3)
Beats by Dre Tour (possibly fake, sound pretty legit though)
UE metro.fi 170
Meelec M9 (v2)

This is what I want to know

¤ Where the weakest link in my setup is, what I should focus on to get the best portable, affordable setup. I don't like downloading music, stopped doing that a few years ago. I'm wondering what's holding me back the most. Audio files? iPhone DAC? Portable amp? Headphones?

¤ I want to know what would be a good complement to what I own, headphones/IEMs. Just that it can't be too expensive. I can't spend more than about 100-150$ (can't justify more within any reasonable time at least). I want lots of bang for my bucks, I want different sound signatures, different fits, I want to learn about audio and experience it. Of course this means if there's any headphone for 35$ that's worth it's weight in platinum, I want to hear it just as much as I want to hear something that's 135$ and a good price/performance ratio.

¤ I want to get some recommendations about good music. If it's on Spotify that's even better. Or if there are some totally awesome records I should buy (yes, buy).

If there's anything else like "hey, you should read my blog, it'll blow your brains out", feel free to comment. I appreciate anything. Right now, this is my escape from reality. Feels better than playing computer games. I spend a lot of time reading about IEMs. Absurd amounts of time... 

I hope that I managed to not bore you to death.
Simon

May 23, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #2 of 23
I have to suggest the Vsonic GR07, they have a almost analytical signature, but, are actually detailed with some warmth, fantastic sub-bass, really a great all round IEM, they do not isolate as well as a BA IEM but they do fall within your $150 budget, actually they can be had on ebay for $130 i believe.

May 23, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #3 of 23
Quote:
I have to suggest the Vsonic GR07, they have a almost analytical signature, but, are actually detailed with some warmth, fantastic sub-bass, really a great all round IEM, they do not isolate as well as a BA IEM but they do fall within your $150 budget, actually they can be had on ebay for $130 i believe.

Thanks for responding :) I've thought about the GR07, it seems like a great IEM. What I'm wondering is, will it add something that I don't (actually as you may have read, I haven't even opened my IEMs yet) have and that I cannot get by simply amping/eqing what I already have or will it just be a good IEM, similar to what I already have? From what I've read, they would be a bit like a slightly warmer Re0 but with amazing sub-bass? As a quite natural (not neutral) IEM for listening on the go I will have the SE535 because of the isolation, I really don't like turning my music up louder just because I'm out and about. As a more analytic/neutral IEM I will have the Re0. And my K271mkII are just... Well. I love them with my alternative rock (must think I'm crazy). Minus some sibilance (probably because of records) and with just a little more body (barely as much as the EQ2 on E6 gives), they're just what I prefer signature wise. Of course everything can be improved a bit. But hey, the grass is always greener on... your neighbours headphones?

Also, do you have any good quality music to recommend? I'm looking for anything actually, be it classical, death metal, (ok maybe not grindcore) fusion jazz, bluegrass or folk music. :)

May 23, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #4 of 23
Well, i am a fan of the GR07 no doubt, but, they are better than the RE0, they are very detailed, very.... not just warm with good sub-bass, they are like a studio monitor, but with some warmth, they do basically do a pretty damn good job of telling you how it is mind, so if that kind of level of detail is too much, look elsewhere.

As for the isolation, i don't think you would be disappointed, they isolate pretty damn well, and i know this cos i also have a pair of TF10's, totally different signatures, but the TF10's are the most isolating IEM i have tried yet, i find the isolation almost too much as a pedestrian.

I don't think you will be disappointed with your choices, just well, on your budget the GR07 cannot be beat in my opinion.

As for a music recommendation, well, music taste is as subjective as IEM signatures, but how about some death jazz?

May 23, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #5 of 23
Don't want to make a big ass quote. Sounds like I ought to try the GR07, will do some more research but they're well recieved everywhere. The question is just when I'm going to fit them into my budget :wink: That's really weird music. Interesting and somehow invigorating. I like it. Listened to a few other songs, didn't really get the death part at first but now I understand. Thanks, I've been stuck in the alternative rock swamp for about 7-8 years so I need to get out a bit.

May 23, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #6 of 23
Hm... that was an interesting read! It's awesome to set goals for yourself so you have something to look forward to at the end of it, especially concerning fitness. I basically did the same thing when I first got into Head-fi (when I was 12!): if I lost 20 pounds, then I could buy a pair of ER-6i's...

Now I'm surrounded with IEMs haha!

Anyway, the GR07 is a great IEM that I, unfortunately, can't seem to get my hands on!

There is also the CIEM world, starting with the AS-1 and JH5. Those are the same prices as the SE535 [when bought at MSRP] if I'm not mistaken...

It really depends on what you want out of an IEM; what sound-signature you want really...

May 23, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:
Hm... that was an interesting read! It's awesome to set goals for yourself so you have something to look forward to at the end of it, especially concerning fitness. I basically did the same thing when I first got into Head-fi (when I was 12!): if I lost 20 pounds, then I could buy a pair of ER-6i's...

Now I'm surrounded with IEMs haha!

Anyway, the GR07 is a great IEM that I, unfortunately, can't seem to get my hands on!

There is also the CIEM world, starting with the AS-1 and JH5. Those are the same prices as the SE535 [when bought at MSRP] if I'm not mistaken...

It really depends on what you want out of an IEM; what sound-signature you want really...

Edit: Feels good more people need incentive to get their thumbs out. Well, I had a lot of pounds to lose and still have quite a few. My weight went rollercoasting from healthy -> too low -> too high. I have the knowledge and the motivation, just not the right circumstances right now. But with 600$ worth of IEMs waiting for me I don't see any way of failing this.

Don't know if I can get my hands on the GR07 either, I'll look around a bit. I want to experience lots of different sound signatures and build up a little arsenal of IEMs (the idea of stuffing things in your ears instead of in your mouth really speaks to me, headphones are great, don't get me wrong). Just because I like certain sound signatures neutral/natural or slightly warm doesn't mean I won't appreciate others. I want to experience the opposite ends of the spectrum. To really gain an understanding of what really cold means and really warm. I see it as a great journey and I'm just at the start of it. Don't go all shrink on me just because I had a kid recently :wink:

I sure will get a nice CIEM later when I'm a real doctor. In the mean time I'll just live with my SE535 (when I'm nice and fit) since I've wanted to buy the 215 since they got out. Never even dreamed about the 535. I take your comment as proof that this is indeed a really addictive hobby. But hey, I want to raise my daughter teaching her the best things life has to offer. Good music with good sound, good food, lots and lots of love and an occasional 20+ single malt or XO cognac (when it's legal lol).

May 23, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:
Well, I had a lot of pounds to lose. My weight went rollercoasting from healthy -> too low -> too high. I have the knowledge and the motivation, just not the right circumstances right now. But 600$ worth of IEMs waiting for me I don't see any way of failing this. Don't know if I can get my hands on the GR07 either, I'll look around a bit. I want to experience lots of different sound signatures and build up a little arsenal of IEMs (the idea of stuffing things in your ears instead of in your mouth really speaks to me, headphones are great, don't get me wrong). Just because I like certain sound signatures neutral/natural or slightly warm doesn't mean I won't appreciate others. I want to experience the opposite ends of the spectrum. To really gain an understanding of what really cold means and really warm. I see it as a great journey and I'm just at the start of it. Don't go all shrink on me just because I had a kid recently :wink:

Haha I wouldn't do that for a second. I think kids are great.

You have quite the journey then. Some people, like myself, never are content with anything and just keep trading and buying. I think I might actually be satisfied with the ASG-1... They're simply fantastic.

I was under the impression you were straight up going to buy the SE535 lol. It's a very tricky IEM, that's for sure.

May 23, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Haha I wouldn't do that for a second. I think kids are great.

You have quite the journey then. Some people, like myself, never are content with anything and just keep trading and buying. I think I might actually be satisfied with the ASG-1... They're simply fantastic.

I was under the impression you were straight up going to buy the SE535 lol. It's a very tricky IEM, that's for sure.

Oh, I edited some up there. Yeah, I can't really see myself trading very much since I have a huge fobia of letting go of my stuff. Dammit. Guess I'll have to learn that. I already have it. It's right here in a drawer (not really a drawer but similar), gift wrapped to myself. And beside it a pair of Re0 for when I'm 11 pounds (5kg) away from my goal. I'm looking for nice little things to treat myself to when I feel like I deserve a treat :wink:

May 23, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #11 of 23
Oh my.. Never leave me alone with money. NEVER. EVER. I feel like someone who can't say no. I just bought the GR07 from eke. Wonder how much I will have to lose to earn those... Don't get me wrong. I will love them when I have deserved them. However my bank account hates me.

May 23, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #14 of 23
May 24, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #15 of 23
I always get the feel that Dsnuts is exaggerating but more seem to validate what he's saying. So I guess I'm not in any place to judge him or his recommendations. If only the headphones were easier to get over here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back