Where do I go from here with my Stax SRM 717/404 systems?
Apr 28, 2006 at 2:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jaybar

100+ Head-Fier
I thought I would move to the Omega II's, but I was dissapointed when I heard them at the National meet. Dark, slow, bass hump, rolled-off highs although ultra smooth.

Should I consider another solid state amp (I do not want a tube amp) while retaining the 404's or are there other electrostatic phones that can be used with the stax amp (which I like very much).. I have already upgraded my IC's to the Top tier Cardas and am using Shunyata power cords and Hydra 8.

My sources are an Ayre CDP, Ayre phonostage and Rega P9 TT with Benz Ruby.

I am satisfied with the 717/404 combo, but wonder what a higher level of performance might offer?.

Jay

Apr 28, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #2 of 13
When you heard the Omega 2s, were you hearing them from the 717 or from one of the STAX tube amps? If it was from a tube setup, you might want to give them another listen from the solid state side.

Theres also the mysterious and elusive 4070.
icon10.gif

Apr 28, 2006 at 8:01 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaybar
I thought I would move to the Omega II's, but I was dissapointed when I heard them at the National meet. Dark, slow, bass hump, rolled-off highs although ultra smooth.

Should I consider another solid state amp (I do not want a tube amp) while retaining the 404's or are there other electrostatic phones that can be used with the stax amp (which I like very much).. I have already upgraded my IC's to the Top tier Cardas and am using Shunyata power cords and Hydra 8.

My sources are an Ayre CDP, Ayre phonostage and Rega P9 TT with Benz Ruby.

I am satisfied with the 717/404 combo, but wonder what a higher level of performance might offer?.

Jay

Here's an idea to put into your head: Sennheiser HE60.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
Theres also the mysterious and elusive 4070.
icon10.gif

biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2006 at 2:38 PM Post #4 of 13
Other amps definitely change the sound, but with the exception of the KGSS the alternate Stax amps which sound "mellower" than your 717 are hard to acquire (that reading: we won't give them up!!
tongue.gif
)

Apr 28, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaybar
I thought I would move to the Omega II's, but I was dissapointed when I heard them at the National meet. Dark, slow, bass hump, rolled-off highs although ultra smooth. Jay

Hmmmmm.....sounds just like how I'd describe a run in pair of Stax Sigmas (smooth with a bass hump. The lower bass seems to be filling in nicely now after lots of playing). I think I'll keep mine and work on getting them kitted out to the lamba signature standard, instead of buying an Omega 2.

Apr 29, 2006 at 5:37 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
When you heard the Omega 2s, were you hearing them from the 717 or from one of the STAX tube amps? If it was from a tube setup, you might want to give them another listen from the solid state side.

Same question here. I own the 007t tube amp, and recently installed new tubes, a different brand from the original Ei's. Turns out that the sonic characteristics that you describe are those of the stock tubes, not of the Omega II headphones. The latter are fast, detailed and neutral enough to follow any impulse from the amp, and boy do they receive impulses now. I say try Omega II's with your transistor amp.

Apr 29, 2006 at 12:41 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
Your impressions?

I do not think you can get a true feel for either that amp or the Omegas given that both of them were daisy chained thru multiple other amps and Y splitters at the meet.

Apr 29, 2006 at 1:13 PM Post #10 of 13
Positive-

Amazingly smooth . Very finnessed and precise presentation. Relaxed.

Negative-

Rolled off, dark, slow. Most annoying was the bass hump in a limited frequency range.

I felt like I was listening to an electrostatic version of the HD 650's.

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back