Where do I go from here? (AKG K501, LD I+, Fubar II Dac)
Sep 23, 2010 at 9:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

chews89

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey head-fi,

I can't remember the last time I created a thread, must've been ages ago, but I'll get right down to it.

I've been enjoying my setup for quite a while now: Fubar II Dac --> Little Dot I+ Amp --> AKG K501. However I've been thinking lately of an upgrade, but I don't really know which component to upgrade. I'm pretty sure I will stick with the K501s (lovely midrange and soundstage are pretty much all I want). So the option is whether to upgrade my amplification or source. Which would make a larger difference? Both my components are entry level. The DAC is definitely a huge leap over my laptops onboard sound. I've read around quite a bit and a few people have said that the LDI+ works great with K501s, which I agree with, but the question is what a more beefy amp can do.

My budget isn't that large, it's more of a long term thing, I could save up more if needed (atm its about $250 or so). What do you guys think I need to spend in order to see an improvement? I've been looking at DIY amps like the Millet Hybrid Max or M3. I haven't really looked into sources that much yet. Any more recommendations?

So I would appreciate it if I could get your opinions on this. Especially people who have had experience with my gear, or even if you don't, please chime in anyway.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back