Where do I download Dolby Atmos for headphones?
Jun 15, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #2 of 10
Dolby Atmos decoders send audio signals to many speakers - more than 2 speakers, as with headphones/IEM's, but with all the channels mixed down to 2 you can use any good set of headphones.

About spatial audio with Dolby Atmos in Apple Music - Apple's own recommendations

There are headphones that do the Dolby Atmos decoding themselves and may also have additional transducers (speakers) in the headphones:

RIG 400 Dolby Atmos Stereo Gaming Headset for PC

Plantronics RIG 600LX LX1 Dolby Atmos High Fidelity Gaming Headset for Xbox One

That's not an exhausting search, but it should get you started :)

There used to be a few multi-transducer headphones for Surround Sound, perhaps this move by Apple will create a new push for Surround Sound Music Headphones with Dolby Atmos decoding featured. :)

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #3 of 10
Dolby Atmos decoders send audio signals to many speakers - more than 2 speakers, as with headphones/IEM's, but with all the channels mixed down to 2 you can use any good set of headphones.

About spatial audio with Dolby Atmos in Apple Music - Apple's own recommendations

There are headphones that do the Dolby Atmos decoding themselves and may also have additional transducers (speakers) in the headphones:

RIG 400 Dolby Atmos Stereo Gaming Headset for PC

Plantronics RIG 600LX LX1 Dolby Atmos High Fidelity Gaming Headset for Xbox One

That's not an exhausting search, but it should get you started :)

There used to be a few multi-transducer headphones for Surround Sound, perhaps this move by Apple will create a new push for Surround Sound Music Headphones :)

Is there at least superior headphone virtualization software to the one that comes with Windows? I know that Creative Sound Blaster used to make the best headphone virtualization software but I don't know anymore.

Jun 15, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #4 of 10
Is there at least superior headphone virtualization software to the one that comes with Windows? I know that Creative Sound Blaster used to make the best headphone virtualization software but I don't know anymore.
Sound Blaster hardware / software isn't exactly Audiophile, and it's been a long time since I've plugged in their hardware / software and ran it through it's paces... I keep looking, but I haven't seen anything from them for a long time that I would buy. I broke down and bought a Creative BTW2 a couple of years ago, but I turned it around and started the Amazon return in the first 10 minutes. :triportsad:

I get plenty of "atmosphere" from my headphones with good sources (Tidal / AMHD) + Topping D90 MQA + Xduoo TA-20 with Brimar 6060 Yellow-T 12AT7 tubes, and a few nice headphones. Right now I am listing with Hifiman HE6SE V2's to "Childish Gambino" - "Because the Internet" on Tidal: https://tidal.com/browse/album/35144024 or https://music.amazon.com/albums/B07N94759Z?ref=dm_sh_89af-de9a-d778-d273-af8df

I'm enjoying all kinds of awesome atmospherics, right now!. :L3000:

It really is all about the original though put into the recording. Targeting a Stereo Mix artists can do a great job with atmospherics without targeting Dolby Atmos. I do hope that artists that try Dolby Atmos also create Stereo mixes from their source - and make it work at the source! That will be much better than trying to get Dolby Atmos to sound "right" with Stereo Headphones.

I've tried some Tidal Dolby Atmos tracks, and sure it's got some glitz, but with single transducer (Stereo) headphones, I get it, but it is nothing like a nice ATMOS Speaker system experience - headphones would need side, top, and back transducers hanging a foot or so off "stalks" connected to really "open" headphones to get the added effects signals through to my ears.

I'd love to see a real Dolby Atmos Headphone adaptation - "Helmet with Stalks", but I wouldn't be able to lay down, and I'd have the "effects" speakers on stalks hitting everything I walk by. :wink:
Please do post if you find any good Windows software to decode Dolby Atmos, and down-mix to Stereo - it might be better. :beerchug:

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #5 of 10
Sound Blaster hardware / software isn't exactly Audiophile, and it's been a long time since I've plugged in their hardware / software and ran it through it's paces... I keep looking, but I haven't seen anything from them for a long time that I would buy. I broke down and bought a Creative BTW2 a couple of years ago, but I turned it around and started the Amazon return in the first 10 minutes. :triportsad:

I get plenty of "atmosphere" from my headphones with good sources (Tidal / AMHD) + Topping D90 MQA + Xduoo TA-20 with Brimar 6060 Yellow-T 12AT7 tubes, and a few nice headphones. Right now I am listing with Hifiman HE6SE V2's to "Childish Gambino" - "Because the Internet" on Tidal: https://tidal.com/browse/album/35144024 or https://music.amazon.com/albums/B07N94759Z?ref=dm_sh_89af-de9a-d778-d273-af8df

I'm enjoying all kinds of awesome atmospherics, right now!. :L3000:

It really is all about the original though put into the recording. Targeting a Stereo Mix artists can do a great job with atmospherics without targeting Dolby Atmos. I do hope that artists that try Dolby Atmos also create Stereo mixes from their source - and make it work at the source! That will be much better than trying to get Dolby Atmos to sound "right" with Stereo Headphones.

I've tried some Tidal Dolby Atmos tracks, and sure it's got some glitz, but with single transducer (Stereo) headphones, I get it, but it is nothing like a nice ATMOS Speaker system experience - headphones would need side, top, and back transducers hanging a foot or so off "stalks" connected to really "open" headphones to get the added effects signals through to my ears.

I'd love to see a real Dolby Atmos Headphone adaptation - "Helmet with Stalks", but I wouldn't be able to lay down, and I'd have the "effects" speakers on stalks hitting everything I walk by. :wink:
Please do post if you find any good Windows software to decode Dolby Atmos, and down-mix to Stereo - it might be better. :beerchug:
I know it won't be anywhere near as good as the full ATMOS Speaker system but is there enough of a change for you to consider it worth while?

Jun 15, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #6 of 10
Sure, why not? As long as you like the music or vocal program, it really all comes down to the source content you like.

I assume you are considering this due to Apple's "Spatial" Atmos content? Well, listen to it on your best headphones - perhaps try the Apple recommendations I linked earlier, or upgrade your headphones, or perhaps try the existing Atmos headphones? Lots of choices.

Tidal has Atmos content too, and I would imagine other services will begin to carry it too, and now that the outlets are becoming more plentiful the artists will follow the opportunity and the music you like - in non-Atmos form - will come out in Atmos form.

If the effects are really useful, they support and enhance the content - making it more enjoyable and interesting - then yes it would be fun, but if the effects are no more than an overlay and don't fit or enhance the original material, then it will not be compelling.

Early days really, so pay attention, learn what you as it unfolds, and enjoy it all :)

Jun 15, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #7 of 10
Sure, why not? As long as you like the music or vocal program, it really all comes down to the source content you like.

I assume you are considering this due to Apple's "Spatial" Atmos content? Well, listen to it on your best headphones - perhaps try the Apple recommendations I linked earlier, or upgrade your headphones, or perhaps try the existing Atmos headphones? Lots of choices.

Tidal has Atmos content too, and I would imagine other services will begin to carry it too, and now that the outlets are becoming more plentiful the artists will follow the opportunity and the music you like - in non-Atmos form - will come out in Atmos form.

If the effects are really useful, they support and enhance the content - making it more enjoyable and interesting - then yes it would be fun, but if the effects are no more than an overlay and don't fit or enhance the original material, then it will not be compelling.

Early days really, so pay attention, learn what you as it unfolds, and enjoy it all :)
I wouldn't be caught dead with an apple product lol. Thanks for answering my question. :)

Jul 8, 2021 at 11:58 PM Post #10 of 10
Dolby Atmos for Headphones on Windows is fantastic for movies/tc. The source for the movies is important. Netflix app, VLC etc will output multichannel. The browser version of Netflix will not afaik. Dolby Atmos can work for music and has some settings but I prefer it for multichannel processing. Playing back Atmos media (on headphones) is tricky, and there are certain PC players that can do this. Even Netflix's app didn't output Dolby Atmos codec to be used on Dolby Atmos for Headphones. Frustrating, probably some licensing limitations.

For music on mobile I use nPlayer Pro which has DTS-x which works well on 'headphones/traditional' settings. I also use Waves NX on iOS (I believe it works on Android as well) which is more holographic, but also introduces more artifact into the sound.

Apple Music has recently implemented spatial audio, however, it cannot be applied to regular stereo tracks (as other spatial DSP can), but only works with Atmos media tracks.

For really high-quality DSP, I've configured Waves Abbey Road Studio but this is a studio plugin and requires a VST/Audio Unit host and you need to know how to bus audio etc.

You can try Redscape Audio for your PC, that appears to be quite high-quality for stereo music spatial audio processing from what I've listened to.

The best headphones I've used for spatial audio so far are Focal Utopia and my recently acquired Fiio Fh5S. Of course those are pricey, and unfortunately, in order for the details of depth and space to be rendered well requires decent drivers. I'd definitely check out Koss headphones. Also if you find a good deal on a set of Phillips SHP9500. For in-ear monitors, check out the Blon Bl-03 which will give you excellent sound, presence and tuning for little money (though you may need to get better tips if you have issues with fit).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back