Where do I buy the Philips HP890?! Can't find it anywhere!
Apr 10, 2002 at 4:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

n4rc0l3pt1c

New Head-Fier
I want to get these headphones, they look soooo bad@$$ and I've heard that they have awesome sound, I'm going to use the mainly through my computer sound card and through a Sony Reciever's Headphone jack, how do they sound?

AND WHERE CAN I BUY THEM?!

I can't find them anywhere!! AGH!
mad.gif

Apr 10, 2002 at 5:59 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by fael
Narco,
Where are you located?

About an hour away from San Francisco, CA, USA.

Exactly how big are these things? I'm a 14 year old student with some extra cash to burn on headphones, but I want to get really good-looking, great-sounding cans. I'm ~5'2" and my head's not very big...
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2002 at 7:12 AM Post #5 of 21
The 890s are not sold in the US so you're looking at importing them. Meier Audio seems to be your best bet. I wouldn't worry about the looks, by your description of yourself these things are probably bigger than your head.
biggrin.gif
You're not going to want to go out in public with these things on.

Haven't some people said that these are hard to drive? How well are they going to work direct from a sound card without an amp?

(HBZ)

Apr 10, 2002 at 7:25 AM Post #6 of 21
n4rc0l3pt1c:

The HP890 are BLOODY HUGE!

When I put them on and look into the bathroom mirror I look like a DORK!

(but then people who've met me would argue that I don't even need the phones)
smily_headphones1.gif

Just something to keep in mind: you'd probably not want to step outside with them on- you'll be stared at for being such a poser.

Apr 10, 2002 at 7:55 AM Post #7 of 21
I wear them outside all the time, and I like being stared at for being a poser.
*poses*
I can understand that some people dont like the attention, but i love it, i crave it.

Youll look more like a dinky-robot than a dork tho, and robots are cool.
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2002 at 7:58 AM Post #8 of 21
Yeah, just ask Macdef
smily_headphones1.gif

I love the size of the HP890s, everyone who sees them just can't get over how big they are.. it's great!

I love it when girls say "my god, that's huge!"

Of course, they said that before I got the HP890s, but that's another story.

Apr 10, 2002 at 9:03 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Snufkin
I love it when girls say "my god, that's huge!" [/B]

Rofl! In your dreams.

Unfortunately they now say that about my belly... goddammit.

Seriously though, the 890s may not be your best choice if you have a *small* head. Some members have complained of a very loose fit.

Apr 10, 2002 at 12:02 PM Post #10 of 21
I dunno if I'd feel comfortable wearing mine in public. Seriously they make you look like a knob. I paid $120Aus(~$62US) for mine and $189Aus(~95US) for my grado sr-80s and I'm really pleased with both but if they were the same price I'd go for the grado's.
On the other hand for use with a PC (especially with games) I prefer the 890s. In fact I prefer my cheap sony mdr-180s over my grados for games. Grados bring out detail in sounds that I really don't want to hear in games and non-music audio (playing divxs for example).

Apr 17, 2002 at 6:14 PM Post #12 of 21
They are not hard to drive. I get plenty of volume out of my G3 soundcard at about 25% volume. Good for gaming too. I like them big, it adds to the huge room feeling that they give. If you have to import them from Meier Audio, I can vouch that Jan is very helpfull, and will gladly answer any newbie questions.

(Einstein had a small head, but does it look like he cares?)

Apr 18, 2002 at 1:02 AM Post #13 of 21
n4:

I bought my Philips HP-890 from Jan Meier two months ago. Nice cans---huge soundstage, deep bass, very comfy to wear for long listening sessions, and easily driven by almost any mid-fi source equipment, including portables and PC sound cards. The 890 doesn't need a dedicated amp and, in truth, doesn't benefit that much from one (maybe about 10-20% improvement, with tightened bass and more detailed mids). It's a good choice for someone who doesn't have the upgrade lust that afflicts so many of us here and just wants a set of high-quality home phones.

With five headphones in my stable and the fact that I'm having a love affair with my Alessandro MS-1 and CHA-47 amp combo, I've been debating whether to sell or keep the Philips.

My 890 is perfect and nicely burned-in. I'd sell it to you for $85 shipped. PM me if you're interested.

Should you prefer buying new, by the way, you can't go wrong ordering from Jan Meier.

--Bill

Apr 18, 2002 at 1:13 AM Post #14 of 21
tktran: I got my sr-80s from http://www.audioweb.com/
they were having a no-shipping fee deal which would normally be about $12US I think. The sr-80s themselves were $95US and from what I've seen this price doesn't vary much from store to store the way other brands do.
In Aus the only place I know that sells them is in Sydney and they sell at $259AU which is about $70AU more than I paid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back