Where did you go to college?
Sep 25, 2005 at 7:40 PM Post #181 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one
BS Chemical Engineering, Worcester Polytechnic Institute
MS Computer Science, University of Southern Maine

i was wondering if there would be another WPI-er on these here boards.

working on:
(deep breath)
BS - Mechanical Engineering with a concentration in Aeronautical Engineering
and
BS - Humanities with a concentration Writing and Rhetoric

or: Rocket Science and English..

-james

Sep 25, 2005 at 8:28 PM Post #182 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glod
Are there no European and American Ph.D´s around here? Enlighten us please.

I would assume daycart1 has a PhD given his professorship. I also remember meeting a PhD student at one of the Portland meets.

Also,
[size=medium]Your mom goes to college.[/size]
It had to be said and I apologize.

Sep 25, 2005 at 8:29 PM Post #183 of 208
The business school is way under rep'd...

Born: Ole Miss (U of Mississippi - my prettiest campus of actual attendance)

U of Texas - Arlington (ugly commuter campus)
U of Texas - Dallas: BS Economics / Finance
U of North Texas (Denton: The home of happiness): MS Accounting

CPA (Texas) - TSCPA, AICPA

Sep 25, 2005 at 8:55 PM Post #184 of 208
Wow, I am really late to this thread but put me down for The Univesities of Missouri - BS in Finance (Columbia is my home town)

University of Chicago - BS in Economics

MBA from The Olin School of Business at Washington University in St. Louis.

Sep 26, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #185 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glod
Usually, you need to have a Master’s degree to qualify for a doctor’s programme. ...

In the old days, American Ph.D programs had an official hurdle called "qualification" which constituted admission to the PhD program. So one would be admitted to "graduate study", but have to earn qualification/admission to the PhD program.

"Qualification" was sometimes independent of earning an MA/MS, sometimes not.

Nowadays, a few places still do it this way, but it is more common to get admitted directly to the PhD program (even when there is a test or other hurdle for "qualification")

Note that qualification is not the same thing as "advancement to PhD candidacy" also called "ABD" (all but dissertation). Don't get me started!
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

Sep 26, 2005 at 2:33 AM Post #186 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by chronoso
i was wondering if there would be another WPI-er on these here boards.

working on:
(deep breath)
BS - Mechanical Engineering with a concentration in Aeronautical Engineering
and
BS - Humanities with a concentration Writing and Rhetoric

or: Rocket Science and English..

-james

Woo, WPI represent. I'm a 6th year WPI grad student from Berlin, CT. Computer Science major, Computer Engineering minor. Kinda wish I minored in Ultimate.

-Kevin

Sep 26, 2005 at 2:43 AM Post #187 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by daycart1
In the old days, American Ph.D programs had an official hurdle called "qualification" which constituted admission to the PhD program. So one would be admitted to "graduate study", but have to earn qualification/admission to the PhD program.

"Qualification" was sometimes independent of earning an MA/MS, sometimes not.

Nowadays, a few places still do it this way, but it is more common to get admitted directly to the PhD program (even when there is a test or other hurdle for "qualification")

Note that qualification is not the same thing as "advancement to PhD candidacy" also called "ABD" (all but dissertation). Don't get me started!
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

Okay, so is this the parent of incredibly fun "qualification exams" that, as far as I know, all Ph.D. students have to pass around their 2nd year, or receive "advice" to leave the program ?

Sep 26, 2005 at 3:36 AM Post #188 of 208
Right. Sometimes they are called "comprehensive" exams. They usually constitute a test on coursework and subject matter before one begins putting together a proposal for a PhD dissertation.

Sep 26, 2005 at 3:17 PM Post #189 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by daycart1
Right. Sometimes they are called "comprehensive" exams. They usually constitute a test on coursework and subject matter before one begins putting together a proposal for a PhD dissertation.

This is how it works in Canada as well. I just finished my comprehensives for both of my programmes and am I guess an ABD
smily_headphones1.gif
Now onto the next stretch. We'll see how long it takes to write these babies. I'd like to graduate before I'm 40!

As for the JD bit. There was confusion regarding the term doctor in the early bit of last century I guess. In reality, the oldest known acredited programme of study was Canon Law which following 2, 5 and 8 years I believe one would achieve Bachelor, Master or Doctor status respectively. Soon after, Philosophy degrees and Civil Law degrees were also conferred in this manner (University of Bologna was the first to use this system if I'm not mistaken) Pretty well everyone in the world confers an LLB for a first law degree. The switch to JD was perhaps to stroke egos since the majority of US lawyers never achieve beyond the bachelor level. The move to JD was also a way of distinguishing between the European programme which would accept students straight from high school, as the US used to do. In this instance a JD or an MD for that matter, are known in the US as first professional doctorates. The JD was used to fall more closely in line with the MD degree which had followed the same moving on from the European MB BS I think it is. In essence they are merely recognized as undergraduate degrees by every other country in the world, and ironically enough, by US academia as well, since the LLM and SJD still exist. The SJD being the Doctor of Juridical Sciences (I believe some US schools may have "anglophonized" it to JSD, however that is bastardizing the latin
wink.gif
).

No lawyer with a JD refers to themselves as a doctor, as in: "Hi I'm Dr. Soandso." But rather, they only do so if they hold an MD or a PhD. What is odd is the obfuscation of doctor when referring to an MD, in reality, they are physicians with an additional bachelor degree, though an intense one, but somewhere in antiquity (or perhaps just in the past 100 years or so) a praxis was established to consider them doctors, and not physicians. Yet, is medical school more difficult than say...engineering physics? Not very likely, perhaps only in volume of work, but not even remotely close in terms of level of difficulty. So why the distinction between an MD as a doctorate and a BEng as an undergraduate? It goes to that confusing time of mixing physician with doctor.

Not that I'm trying to downplay anyone's achievements, this information is simply that, information on the various level of degrees. Though it does make for some interesting conversation for those not in the know when I tell them I'm pursuing my doctorate in juridical sciences and they ask if I don't already have one of those since I'm a lawyer? Then I go into a quick spiel on the differences. It doesn't really matter as long as a given university is able to properly assess the level of degree one has before admitting one to the next level. Since the JD is very well known abroad (at least amongst university administrators and admission departments) holding one is seen as the equivalent to an LLB or an LLC and thus easily accepted as qualification to pursue an LLM.

Sep 26, 2005 at 5:22 PM Post #190 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
...with the MD degree which had followed the same moving on from the European MB BS I think it is.

You know, Europe is _far_ from homogenous in this regard too. MBBS etc. are probably purely British degrees. In Finland (and Sweden?) the basic medical degree is a licentiate of medicine which I believe has partly a historical reason (the "ancient" physicians had to be Masters before medical training) but probably partly also the same ego boost reason over a Master degree as the US MD degree. Here becoming a "real" doctor of medicine involves getting first the 6-year (after the equivalent of your high school, not bachelor degree) licentiate of medicine degree and after that getting a PhD-type degree. (Doing it while working full time, I expect to finish around 2030
biggrin.gif
)

I believe the Bologna process is really needed within the EU.

Sep 26, 2005 at 5:34 PM Post #191 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by rauer
You know, Europe is _far_ from homogenous in this regard too. MBBS etc. are probably purely British degrees. In Finland (and Sweden?) the basic medical degree is a licentiate of medicine which I believe has partly a historical reason (the "ancient" physicians had to be Masters before medical training) but probably partly also the same ego boost reason over a Master degree as the US MD degree. Here becoming a "real" doctor of medicine involves getting first the 6-year (after the equivalent of your high school, not bachelor degree) licentiate of medicine degree and after that getting a PhD-type degree. (Doing it while working full time, I expect to finish around 2030
biggrin.gif
)

I believe the Bologna process is really needed within the EU.

RIght right, there are other degrees as well for MD equivalent, but I only listed the UK MD BS one. It does seem though that homogeny does reign in as much as the bachelor equivalent is the MD programme and then to be called a "doctor" one needs to specialize and move on to a graduate degree akin to the PhD either in surgery or in one of the specialized disciplines. I agree, it would be best if everyone followed one system, but certainly within the EU, it would be very sensible. Seeing as Bologna is the oldest university and their system does work, adopting it would not be an entirely bad thing, though correct me if I'm wrong.

Sep 26, 2005 at 5:48 PM Post #192 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
Seeing as Bologna is the oldest university and their system does work, adopting it would not be an entirely bad thing, though correct me if I'm wrong.

Zanth, the Bologna process mentioned in several posts above is just a name for the EU process of getting similar standards, education, degrees etc.

EDIT: the Bologna process

Mar 2, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #193 of 208
Chalk me up for University of Notre Dame B.S. Mechanical Engineering. BTW, I feel the rest of the world owes me a debt of gratitude for never actually practicing in this field.

The rest of my education was recieved courtesy of the good ol' USAF. I once tried to total up how much they invested in my training/education....I got the better end of that deal.

As far as most beautiful campuses visited: Notre Dame, Cambridge and U of Virginia

Mar 2, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #195 of 208
i remember everyone wanted to go to UC Irvine if they wanted the loveliest campus atmosphere - and that includes the student body
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back