Where did the W5000 owners go?
Jan 17, 2006 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sonic32

500+ Head-Fier
What happened to the W5000 owners? Are you enjoying the phones? News on the "rattle", has Audio-Technica addressed this problem? Synergy observations, impressions after full burn-in or anything else you care to comment on. I am really considering purchasing these phones(am I crazy with the "rattle" issue seemingly unresolved?)

Jan 17, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic32
What happened to the W5000 owners? Are you enjoying the phones? News on the "rattle", has Audio-Technica addressed this problem? Synergy observations, impressions after full burn-in or anything else you care to comment on. I am really considering purchasing these phones(am I crazy with the "rattle" issue seemingly unresolved?)

I'd like to know too! I want to trade my headphones for thiers!

What is the rattle issure by the way?

Jan 17, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #3 of 5
i cant see how AT wouldnt have learned about this rattle from the L3000 and made sure the w5000 didnt ship with the same problem. thats really unacceptable IMHO

Jan 18, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #5 of 5
I'm still really enjoying my W5000, it's become my primarly headphone and I don't intend to replace it anytime soon. There have been a few threads about the W5000's sound signature but in short I think it sounds fast, clean and a little bit bright. I don't find the W5000 to be overly bright but I definately think it's on the bright side of neutral. The soundstage is bit smaller than the HD-650 but the instrument placement within the soundstage is excellent. At times with complex music the W5000 can sound a touch congested but I've found it to be fine with the vast majority of the music that I listen to. The treble has nice extension and a very natural sounding decay. The midrange is a bit on the warm side with forward sounding vocals. The bass seems to go deep with nice texture but it lacks in quantity and impact when compared to other headphones I've used in the past.

I find the W5000 to be very comfortable but they do seem to have a looser fit than other headphones I've used including other AT woodies. I haven't had a problem with them sliding off my head but it seems that the top of the earpad doesn't have as good of a seal as it does on the bottom. The closed design of the W5000 provides a little more isolation than open headphones but the isolation isn't great. I don't have a problem using them at home but I wouldn't try to use them in a moderately loud environment.

I've only had the chance to use the W5000 with my MPX3 but I think they have good synergy together. My current favorite tube assortment to use with the W5000 is a Sylvania VT-231 input with two blackplate Tung-Sol 5687WAs for the output. I've also had good results using a Ken Rad VT-231 as the driver as well, it gave the bass a bit of a boost at the expense of the high end extension of the Sylvania VT-231.

Also I've tried various test tones at higher than normal level and I've haven't noticed any rattling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back