Where can you purchase replacement Op amps from in the UK?
Feb 26, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #2 of 4
Im not quite sure where in the UK some suggest ( Digi-Key and Newark.)I have an XM4 that has been tested with every opamp weill atleast the latest recommended here is my recommendations as follows.

1. Lm4562 new national semi conductor opamp it excels
and sounds as good as any discreet amp this has been proven this opamp does take time to break in I know the argument over this but I have 4 of them and if I take out one that has been burned in for 100 hours and then put a new one in the the new one has no sound stage so make your own judgement.
2. AD823an only has 15ma output not good for a 600ohm
headohone but awesome stound stage a bit shrill if you have bright headphones better for sennheisers than grados
3. AD8620 you have to either buy a bur brown adapter and solder the soic chip yourself or buy it from cimarion which is This opamp sounds a bit like the AD823 but pushes alot more milli amps the sound stage is not as good as the AD823
what I did as my soldering skills suck ass on small things
4. OPa637 typical laid back sound its ok I guess depends alot on your headphones
5. OPA2228 and OPA2227 -- 2228 has awesome bass 2227 is just a small upgrade from the 2132
6 opa2134 stock its fine if you want to cover your music up I myself am a guitarist so I like to hear every note on a fast run so this chip just is just too laid back and is great for guys that have alot of crappy MP3's or they only use an IPOD if you start using better input equipment run from this thing.
the OPA2107 is allright but it has no sound stage and is just weird opamp to me I have tried it in several headphoen amps and even in some CD players etc and its just weird haha maybe someone can come up it sounds like grasshoppers floating through the clouds but to me its just freaking weird. haha

try digikey dude

I have a bunch of AD823an's I will give you one for shipping if you can find any other distributor..

Feb 26, 2007 at 6:32 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by thetargetarcher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Read a post that recommends putting the AD623AN op amp in the Practical Devices XM4.

Where can you purchase Opamps from in the UK? Preferably without having a huge P&P on top.

Try Farnell: http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/home/homepage.jsp

MrScary - My K701, maybe at peak, will take 15-20mA. That really isn't the issue to worry about; it's damping/recovery behaviour of the op-amp, which is why buffers are so helpful with many op-amps.

targetarcher - AD623 is an instrumentation op-amp. I think maybe you're thinking of AD823. AD623 won't be pin compatible with your amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 26, 2007 at 10:58 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Filburt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
targetarcher - AD623 is an instrumentation op-amp. I think maybe you're thinking of AD823. AD623 won't be pin compatible with your amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Oops yep was a typo- well spotted....I did mean the AD823

I'll edit my original post

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back