Where can I purchase the Sugden Headmaster in the US?
Jun 7, 2002 at 1:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

ninoe99

New Head-Fier
I've tried audioweb but haven't gotten any responses via phone or e-mail. Also, the price on stone audio uk's is like a $100 more than the reported $750 US price.

Any ideas?

Jun 7, 2002 at 7:56 PM Post #4 of 27
Hi,

I'm also trying to buy the headmaster (and CDmaster). I emailed audio synergy (UK Sugden distributor), they asked me to contact Stanalog (US distributor). I called Stanalog and I was asked to contact local dealer. MSRP for headmaster is $995 USD, and it's in back order.

I am not sure $750 is a realistic price for it, so far I haven't had any luck finding it yet.

Jun 8, 2002 at 2:20 AM Post #5 of 27
Thanks everyone! Yes, it's looking more like $850. I am hoping that the AudioWeb folks will pick up the phone or return my call or e-mails. Otherwise, I will be getting it from Audiogon.

Do you think this will be a great match with the Senn HD600s?

Jun 8, 2002 at 4:30 AM Post #6 of 27
There's also a place called North Country Audio (http://www.cadencebuilding.com/cadence/NCASpecials.html), they're in NY state. They seem to carry (or be able to get) the Headmaster... Don't know the price or exact model (w/ or w/o a remote), I'm currently waiting for a reply from them too.

AudioCubes may start selling Headmaster in the near future (I asked them about it and they're currently checking with their supplier), but you don't seem to be interested in Japanese or European resellers, so I'm saying this just for completeness.

I think AudioWeb only hosts an ad for stoneaudio.co.uk when it comes to Sugden.

But yeah, if you're alright with Brooklyn Audio prices, then go for it.

Jun 8, 2002 at 5:21 AM Post #7 of 27
Hey zzz,

It's certainly good news that more U.S. dealers are carrying the Sugden Headmaster. Please keep us posted on what North Country Audio will be able to offer!
wink.gif

As for going through Audio Cubes, won't it cost even more than what it costs here in the U.S.? Base on my experience, in Japan products from the U.S. and Europe usually cost two or three times their local price.....
confused.gif

BTW, another guy mentioned in a diff. thread that the waiting period for the Headmaster is about one month....
frown.gif

Jun 8, 2002 at 5:23 AM Post #8 of 27
IF we can get the Headmaster from Audio Cubes, would we have problems with the voltage difference?

Just figure I should bring that up....
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 8, 2002 at 10:34 PM Post #10 of 27
I'd avoid North Country Audio! When I was looking for the Headmaster a number of months ago he tried to bait and switch me, really trying to talk me out of it. He also would not tell me what his actual return policy was. I just didn't get a good feeling dealing with them and thus ordered from Stone Audio! On the other hand Stone Audio delivered as promised, and was able to get me the 110V version of the Headmaster within two days of me placing the order with them. Others were quoting 3 weeks to get the 110 version. Of course you pay import duties on this end but overall it was a good experience.

Jun 9, 2002 at 10:48 AM Post #11 of 27
I wouldn't have replied to this post, since you are looking for a US distributor, except for the previous post about Stone Audio.
I also purchased a Headmaster from Stone Audio. It took four months and four overseas calls (Stone dosen't seem to like responding to e-mails) to get it. Stone seems to be all over the place about filling orders, from 3 days to four months. If you have to order from them, (and you might have to, they seem to be the one of the companies that can really deliver on the Headmaster) I'm sure you'll get your amp, it just might take a while. Is the amp worth it? Yes, but I was beginning to wonder at about the three month mark.
Somebody else replied to a post about the Headmaster and Stone Audio (I can't seem to find it right now) with a three word post of "Proceed with caution". Good advice.

Jun 11, 2002 at 1:17 AM Post #12 of 27
Response from North Country Audio:

Quote:

> You list Sugden Headmaster headamp as something you normally stock and

Out of stock at the moment.

> sell. Do you have it in stock these days? Which model do you carry, with
> or without the remote (or maybe both?)? How much does it cost?

Neither at the moment. Thank you for asking. It is a 'lifestyle' product
and we are not really in the business of selling 'lifestyle' audio.

take care,

-vladimir

NorthCountry Audio
www.cadencebuilding.com
Cadence Building
Redwood, New York 13679
Phone: 315-287-2852 || Fax: 315-287-2860
northcountryaudio@cadencebuilding.com

smily_headphones1.gif

AudioCubes people can get it, but it would be more expensive than if you get it from anywhere in US, so it's not really an option...

I did get a reply from couple of places in Canada (Brooklyn Audio and Globe Audio Video), and Canadian distributor for Sugden does not have any Headmasters in stock and is not expecting any any time soon. However, Brooklyn Audio is expecting a shipment in the near future (cost is 819 USD + 4.9% duty on the actual product ~= 858 USD shipped to US. or 799 USD if you're in Canada).

Never got any response from Audiosynergy.

Jun 11, 2002 at 5:09 PM Post #13 of 27
Sugden Headmaster is "lifestyle" system? Give me a break...who would call or use a class-A preamp as a "lifestyle" system?!?!
confused.gif

Looks like Audio Cubes or Brooklyn Audio are our best bets. Personally I would still be concerned about the voltage issue if I get it from Audio Cubes...

So has anyone ordered one yet???

Jun 11, 2002 at 6:05 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by redyolk

Looks like Audio Cubes or Brooklyn Audio are our best bets. Personally I would still be concerned about the voltage issue if I get it from Audio Cubes...

So has anyone ordered one yet???

As I said, AudioCubes price ended up being higher (1060 USD)than the one of any US distributor (which is strange, because Airy shop in Japan carries Headmaster both with and without remote for 680/760 USD respectively, but my Japanese is too poor to ask them about shipping or anything else for that matter
wink.gif
), so I wouldn't go for them.

I have asked Brooklyn Audio to reserve one Sugden for me until Friday (that is until I get paid...), will be buying then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back